Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 3:18 pm

I don't usually make eye contact....if I try then I can't pay attention to what the other person is talking about. So yeah when I was a kid I always got annoyed when teachers or anyone else told me to 'look at them and pay attention' because I could not look at them and pay attention, I could only not look at them and pay attention. I tended to look at nothing...one of my teachers complained about that to my mom because he thought it was creepy, but I still was getting good grades.

I forgot to add, eye contact also can cause extreme discomfort.....which is why it is so distracting if I try and make eye contact while conversing with someone.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 15 Jun 2011, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

arko5
Raven
Raven

14 Jun 2011, 6:46 am

Are people supposed to look at each other when walking in the street? I'd never really considered that before, I just walk along pretty much oblivious to all but vague shapes I have to walk around. Every now and then someone says hi and drags me back into reality, it can be quite weird when that happens. It's a bit embarrassing when I've walked past someone and they they actually know me (especially with a family member).

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jun 2011, 9:33 am

arko5 wrote:
Are people supposed to look at each other when walking in the street? I'd never really considered that before, I just walk along pretty much oblivious to all but vague shapes I have to walk around. Every now and then someone says hi and drags me back into reality, it can be quite weird when that happens. It's a bit embarrassing when I've walked past someone and they they actually know me (especially with a family member).

+1!

cyanosity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2011, 3:34 pm

Of all of the social skills I've learned over the years, eye contact is the one that seems most unnecessary. Besides, it's painful.

Unfortunately, some people think it's funny when they glare at me when I happen to be looking at them, forcing me to make eye contact. :evil: