Whom do you find it easier to talk to?
People of the same gender 38%  38%  [ 23 ]
People of the opposite gender 62%  62%  [ 38 ]
Total votes : 61

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2011, 11:56 am

I'm female, and I find it much easier to talk to men. Preferably older men.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 May 2011, 1:35 pm

I can't properly answer the poll.

I don't find that my ease or difficulty of talking to anyone is related to their gender. I don't mean that I don't see gender or anything like that, just that other factors tend to play more of a role.

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2011, 1:22 am

I think I'm more comfortable with women because they wear their emotions more obviously. I can read them better, and so naturally feel more of a sense of levity. No social pretenses to keep up (which around guys, I tend to do through strict silence, and cracking asinine jokes). Generally.

Plus, I like to listen to women, literally, the sound frequencies coming out of them are more pleasant. I try to add to whatever they are thinking / saying, in addition to really doing my best to listen. They seem to like that. Relatively, I'm oblivious to how a male is feeling, because around here the gender tends to be emotionally introverted/repressed in US society to begin with. So I never know what is going on, really, with males. What comes out tends to be assertive, obtuse, antagonistic, and/or stoic.

My own emotional illiteracy provides a natural lack of repressed male emotions - this results in a level-headed-ness / comfort / diplomacy around emotional situations. For women, this translates to "He's in touch with my emotions" or "comfortable with who he is" - which is of course not fundamentally true, but that's just how it seems to work out.

(Mehhh. I'm still not certain about these opinions / observations of mine)

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 10:36 am

It's a very difficult question to me. Varies with age and themes, a multi-dimensional function. Today I find talking to my female colleagues easier, but not by much, I'm not so good with both of them. I can find a common theme with my gender easier when I meet people randomly. I can not sustain a conversation with the opposite gender for long usually, except when dating. My closest friends are all males, I can talk to them or listen to them almost endlessly. I don't have friends who are typical male, as described in the above posts, the ones I have are a little quirky or have some resemblance to me. I always have difficulties when I'm supposed to act as a male as described, and I'm often confused why it is so with many girls that it is a must when you want to appeal to them.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 11:37 am

I prefer talking to females, but i will talk to males if i have too. All my close friends are females.

crouton
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 12:08 pm

I'm more comfortable with the average member of the same sex than the average member of the opposite sex, I think. Males tend to intimidate me. :P

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 1:51 pm

i prefer company of female friends
close friends only not a group
just a single person who can relate to me and understand
or share common interest

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 2:10 pm

I find it easier to talk to guys because they don't talk like Valley Girls and fill their conversations with fluff.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:51 pm

Strangers....they don't know anything about me so they can't judge me.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 8:17 pm

It doesn't matter much. Age matters a lot more than gender for me. I find it easiest to interact with people older than I am. Though I do find it easier to talk to girls my age than boys my age, but in terms of people older or younger, than me, it really doesn't matter. I will vote "people of my gender" because I want to see the results, and because in certain age groups, girls are easier to interact with than boys.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 8:25 pm

I tend to get along better with guys, but I have trouble when they learn I'm a girl (online only) or because they mistakenly think I like them, when I don't. I think I come on a bit too intense sometimes and that gets translated to "you must like me." So that gets frustrating.

With girls, it's like I speak an entirely differently language sometimes. Unless they are very nerdy (which actually is the case sometimes), I probably won't get along with them... there are so many experiences associated with female that I really don't understand. On the other hand, I know I'm definitely not a guy.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 9:42 pm

I know I already posted here before, but I find it strange that many of you have strong opinions either way. It really all depends on the individual.