Page 1 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:01 pm

religious types need something comforting to hang onto like a warm blanket.

The evangelist d-bag spouting the end of days is upon us has made this prediction before. Last time it was 1994 the righteous was supposed to ascend leaving the wicked here on earth to face the antichrist Did it happen? No. Will it happen today? No. Do thousands of people believe and have faith in this man's word? Yes. Why? Because people need something comforting to cling to - something to believe in.

How's this for something to believe in:

Raise your kids so they have a strong educational foundation. Raise them to have good study and diet habits so that they'll study hard, excel in school and one day make the world a better place.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:06 pm

MasterJedi wrote:

The evangelist d-bag spouting the end of days is upon us has made this prediction before. Last time it was 1994 the righteous was supposed to ascend leaving the wicked here on earth to face the antichrist Did it happen? No. Will it happen today? No. Do thousands of people believe and have faith in this man's word? Yes. Why? Because people need something comforting to cling to - something to believe in.

Raise your kids so they have a strong educational foundation. Raise them to have good study and diet habits so that they'll study hard, excel in school and one day make the world a better place.

It's really in the thousands? My God... What a disturbing thought. I was hoping it was just a few dozen idiots, like those Westboro Baptists.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:11 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
How's this for something to believe in: Raise your kids so they have a strong educational foundation. Raise them to have good study and diet habits so that they'll study hard, excel in school and one day make the world a better place.

How's this: "That it harms no one, do what you will"?

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:24 pm

MasterJedi wrote:

I don't know... it seems that the fact that a billion or so Christians didn't take this loony seriously should argue in the other direction, no?

Even discounting that and you possibly making a connection that doesn't exist, I think, as you put it, that we "need something comforting to hang onto" is more systemic to our Humanness. Get to know the human being more before pinning its faults on religion.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:25 pm

I am really tired of being told my faith is "something comfortable to hold onto." For me it really isn't. I find having faith to be a CHALLENGE. Yes, a CHALLENGE. Because it does defy logic, and because every once of instinct with me likes to be totally self-sufficient, able to do it all myself. So while the assertion it's comfortable, self-deluding, and so on seems to work for those who don't want to have faith, none of it works as an explanation for why I do, against the odds, actually HAVE faith.

It's simple. Those who don't have it don't understand it and need to stop pretending that they do.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:33 pm

that makes zero sense. If I told you 2+2=5, you'd believe me?

And Fnord, if you're going to tell me that your religion doesn't discriminate (which is hurtful), you'd be lying. Thou shalt not bear false witness...

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:34 pm

MasterJedi wrote:

And Fnord, if you're going to tell me that your religion doesn't discriminate (which is hurtful), you'd be lying. Thou shalt not bear false witness...

And what is my religion? Do you even know? I have posted it elsewhere on this site...

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:39 pm

religion separates more than it unites.

Whatever your religion...

Do tell what it is and I'll tell you how it divides.

I fear my point is lost amongst the blind.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:43 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I am really tired of being told my faith is "something comfortable to hold onto." For me it really isn't. I find having faith to be a CHALLENGE. Yes, a CHALLENGE. Because it does defy logic, and because every once of instinct with me likes to be totally self-sufficient, able to do it all myself. So while the assertion it's comfortable, self-deluding, and so on seems to work for those who don't want to have faith, none of it works as an explanation for why I do, against the odds, actually HAVE faith.

It's simple. Those who don't have it don't understand it and need to stop pretending that they do.

Hey, what isn't comforting about a religion whose founder got brutally murdered; whose first leaders also got brutally murdered (except for that one who died in exile); and that tells us to stand up and accept the same type of fate if it comes our way - and, oh, by the way, you have to forgive the people who do it, and also anyone else who harms you. It's all rainbows and puppies.

Whenever the day is done."

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:46 pm

and you will dwell in the house of the lord.

Comforting?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:47 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
religion separates more than it unites.

The word "Religion" is derived from "Religiere", which is the Latin word for "it binds". If all were bound by one religion, then all would be united in one common purpose.
MasterJedi wrote:
Whatever your religion... Do tell what it is and I'll tell you how it divides.

Read this post: LINK
MasterJedi wrote:
I fear my point is lost amongst the blind.

Do you believe that yours is the only enlightened and true viewpoint to have? This is religion.

Do you dismiss those who believe differently as "blind"? This is divisiveness.

Do you criticize those traits in others? This is hypocrisy.

That it harms no one, do what you will.

Last edited by Fnord on 21 May 2011, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:47 pm

N.B. As has been frequently noted, my religion far prefers to multiply. ;)

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:49 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:

i am really tired of having to hear religious people proclaim they have a right to affect non believers with their choice, none should suffer the consequences of anothers belief.

it's simple, to us there is nothing to understand;
i can read anything into everything but it wont make it something :wink:

what is the challenges you face with your religion?
not to mention the millions world wide that has been "challenged" one way or the other over religion, not always with a happy ending either?

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:50 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
and you will dwell in the house of the lord.

Comforting?

About as comforting, at times, as being told there's ice-cold Gatorade waiting at the top of Frenchman's Mountain (out in Las Vegas), after you finish climbing up the slope. Off-trail. On your hands and knees. At noon on an August day.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:53 pm

MasterJedi wrote:

No. I'm offended that you would dream I'd be that easy to bowl over. Think about all my posts you've read; do I make ANY major life decisions based on someone else's telling me to?

I'm not going to explain why I persist in faith. It would be a waste of my time. I sincerely believe that either a person has been open to connecting to God, or they haven't. Much in the same way some people are open to seeing people or life from an entirely different perspective, and some people are not. Connecting to faith requires being OPEN to ideas and experiences that make no sense, yet are real none-the-less. It means seeing and hearing and feeling beyond the tangible. And ... I totally accept that none of that is natural to many with AS, simply because of the AS, and I wonder what God's plan there is, but that is beyond the scope of my life and beyond the scope of what I feel are my current missions in this world and, so ... I can't resolve it.