Page 9 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 8:06 am

Sand wrote:
I have fairly well laid out my viewpoint and I am well aware that convincing anybody who is sold on the fantasies of "spirits" or other religious antiquated immaturity is completely futile. There is no doubt that placebos do have a real effect and religious placebos are a favorite remedy for many people. I am finished here.

You knew that going in, didn't you?

I doubt you had any hope of persuading the people you were debating with, rather your words were directed to the audience as advocated by Thom Fuleri in this thread. You are intelligent enough to realize that repeating a point that has already been agreed with is not going to cause the person who agreed with it to reconsider his position.

I haven't learned anything about your position because you haven't said anything that you haven't posted many times before. Have you learned anything about mine? If not, I agree that there is no point in continuing this conversation.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 8:16 am

NobelCynic wrote:
Sand wrote:
I have fairly well laid out my viewpoint and I am well aware that convincing anybody who is sold on the fantasies of "spirits" or other religious antiquated immaturity is completely futile. There is no doubt that placebos do have a real effect and religious placebos are a favorite remedy for many people. I am finished here.

I doubt you had any hope of persuading the people you were debating with, rather your words were directed to the audience as advocated by Thom Fuleri in this thread. You are intelligent enough to realize that repeating a point that has already been agreed with is not going to cause the person who agreed with it to reconsider his position.

I haven't learned anything about your position because you haven't said anything that you haven't posted many times before. Have you learned anything about mine? If not, I agree that there is no point in continuing this conversation.

If you haven't learned by now that the participants in a religious discussion are unpersuadable no matter how unsustainable their arguments are you must be extremely unobservant. People present their views, I present mine. There is a remote chance an observer might learn something. But to permit the obvious idiocies of some religious proposals to stand unopposed bothers me. Do you permit me to be bothered?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 8:21 am

Sand wrote:
NobelCynic wrote:
Sand wrote:

If you haven't learned by now that the participants in a religious discussion are unpersuadable no matter how unsustainable their arguments are you must be extremely unobservant. People present their views, I present mine. There is a remote chance an observer might learn something. But to permit the obvious idiocies of some religious proposals to stand unopposed bothers me. Do you permit me to be bothered?

==========================

Ah yes, and such will be another fine day here in PPR! 8)

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 8:55 am

I tried mentuoning the Thumper rule to a certain person once, but it did not seem to be comprehended.

Which is more basic here? The right to be bothered, or the right to bother?

I am again reminded of the two societal rules of the alien society:

Do not offend anyone else

AND

If you are someone else do not be too easily offended.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 9:11 am

Philologos wrote:
I tried mentuoning the Thumper rule to a certain person once, but it did not seem to be comprehended.

AND

There are people who are offended by obvious perceptions and others who are offended by obvious stupidities. So it goes.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 9:27 am

Sand wrote:
Philologos wrote:

AND

There are people who are offended by obvious perceptions and others who are offended by obvious stupidities. So it goes.

Allowing each to the other seems to be an oncoming rule of play here in PPR.