Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Turquoise
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 May 2011, 10:52 pm

Excuse the post if it seems scattered, I'm just typing my thoughts fast.

When I want to learn something, for example, a new gymnastics skill, and I can't get it right away, I go through a period of indescribable determination. It's the feeling of "I must get it now, and I won't stop until I do," only much more intense than I can possibly write. I get so frustrated with it, but why take a break? Just ONE... MORE... TIME... I KNOW I'LL DO IT! I MUST! AND I'M NOT QUITTING UNTIL I DO IT! I'm not just referring to gymnastics, but small things in everyday life. I eventually quit, but my mindset in the situation doesn't want me to.

I don't think it's OCD, I hardly fit any criteria for OCD. More like an OCD trait, maybe? Is it another wonderful Aspie aspect?

I like the way that sounds. Aspie aspect. Tongue twister, much?

RAINCLOUD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2011, 10:58 pm

It takes a lot of frustration and re-doing for me to learn something.I ussualy feel hopeless. It takes me a long time to learn things. I have been playing guitar for 10 months and I can't even play bar chords yet! I used to be really bad at math but when I was 9 I got a math tutour it took a whole year but now I make good grades in math. Once I learn something though I don't forget!

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2011, 4:10 am

IF there is something I don't understand or cannot do, then I become fixated on that thing until I understand it.

I feel very stressed out and anxious until I work it out.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 4:31 am

When I want to learn something new, I go on and on and on and on and on...can't take a break. Right now it's 529AM where I am at, I did not sleep last night...probably won't sleep all day and maybe will sleep tonight. All because I'm learning about SEO, html, etc...and I can't stop doing what I am doing to reach the goal...problem is, that darn goal will be unattainable by me because I make it about perfection...sigh
8O

Guilliman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2011, 4:45 am

I get angry when I make a mistake. I hate myself when I do. I suppose that can count for extreme determinism. And it gets worse with time.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 6:37 am

I have very high levels of determination, when it comes to achieve the things that I wish to achieve. My goal is to be able to do unassisted pull ups with a pull up bar, by February the 15th. My philosophy is that if you can't carry your own body weight in an emergency situation, you're in big trouble.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2011, 10:18 am

I am like that. I guess my interest is games. If I want to achieve something I will single-mindedly, intensely focus on that goal. It can mean I sometimes play quite erratically, because as I achieve a goal I will go straight to the next.

This carries into real life. Problem here is that goals are often vague, long term or have no tangible point to achieve for. That and if I get stuck on something with no immediate means of help then I stagnate, which is a big problem.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 10:40 am

I have the type of high determination described above, and the rapid drop-off after mastery. The part I feel have to fix in order to have more success comes between mastery and completion of the project. What use has my mastery if I stop in the middle of a project? If anyone can offer a better solution than gritting my teeth and pushing on through, I'd really like to hear it.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

22 May 2011, 10:55 am

This type of determination describes me when playing certain video games.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 1:45 pm

I've decided I must have loads of determination. I wanted to breastfeed my daughter and kept telling myself I'd regret it if I gave up. The odds were totally stacked against me. My daughter wanted to suckle constantly, fall asleep, wake as soon as I tried to lay her down, start to suckle again. This could go on for 90 mins at a time, then she'd start again an hour later. I know now this was the first sign of her probable ASD - we're still awaiting diagnosis. When she was just a few days old, we were re-admitted to hospital as she was failing to gain weight. I still kept on going and she still wanted to suckle constantly, whilst half-sleeping. Then when she was about 12 weeks old, she stopped gaining weight again. But, I kept on going and only stopped when she decided she'd had enough at 18 months. I know many women who say they couldn't breastfeed, but I think most would give up much more readily.