Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ELLCIM
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2006, 1:43 pm

I'm presently seeking new employment. I've had it with the clowns at the store I work at right now. I've been there almost two years, and they can't be bothered to show me some respect. The store I work at employs over 200 people and I have been there longer than about 90% of the employees there, since there is high turnover and up until May of this year I was satisfied with my employment.

Minimum wage in this province is $7.75 per hour, and I make $8.05 (that's US$7.15, 5.62 EUR, £3.77). Other employees, with no higher status than me, are making 45 cents more - and I just got a raise from $7.80 in June.

I have always been punctual, often early, for each of my shifts. I have been good to them. But, they promote clowns with far less seniority and/or experience than me, and those with no work ethic (i.e. habitually late, stand around or hang out in the lunch room over half of the time) are rewarded with promotions or mere lack of disciplinary action. One coworker in particular has never been on time, being late anywhere from 3 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes daily. And they won't discipline him, even though his lateness is a detriment to me as I am forced to endure double the work I am supposed to have on the floor, and/or I can't leave the floor for a break or lunch until he arrives. Additionally, this worker does not pull his weight, often standing around or doing things very slowly. I am usually paired with him, but I have no teeth since I lack any authoritative responsibilities, despite me being there over a year-and-a-half longer than him.

I raised these issues continually for two months, and nobody has bothered to do anything about it. Not the supervisors, not the department head, not even management. My department head even changed the time on our clock to make it appear the guy was on time once when he was 15-20 minutes late (which I promptly changed back, which to credit management, was something they supported me in).

Over a week ago, I'd had enough. I told my supervisor that I was going to write him up if they weren't going to do it. She of course wouldn't let me, then a manager came along to see what was going on. I gave her a piece of my mind. Then the guy bumbled in, not yet in uniform, and I told him that he was late and that he'd been late daily for two months, and that I wasn't going to put up with it anymore. That, along with my harsh words to the manager, got me written up. Yet nothing happens to this guy.

This place sure has changed. This kind of garbage never used to happen. After all this has happened they STILL cannot see why habitual lateness of coworkers is such a problem for me. They think it's not my problem, but it is. I'm not even giving them another chance.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2006, 7:13 pm

dude they get promoted because they get on better with the bosses, all aspies are over looked good workers..so whaddya do about it?

you adapt!

aspies are good at any system, not becessarily applied to computers, but car and mechanics, sound and engineering all systems including peopel systems, work out the dynamics of a system and then do the aspei thing of figuring out how to work it and do better than the morons.
you vget great satisfaction from this.

alex
Developer
Developer

13 Aug 2006, 11:36 am

donkey wrote:
dude they get promoted because they get on better with the bosses, all aspies are over looked good workers..so whaddya do about it?

you adapt!

aspies are good at any system, not becessarily applied to computers, but car and mechanics, sound and engineering all systems including peopel systems, work out the dynamics of a system and then do the aspei thing of figuring out how to work it and do better than the morons.
you vget great satisfaction from this.

good advice

ELLCIM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 9:33 am

donkey wrote:

you adapt!

aspies are good at any system, not becessarily applied to computers, but car and mechanics, sound and engineering all systems including peopel systems, work out the dynamics of a system and then do the aspie thing of figuring out how to work it and do better than the morons.
you get great satisfaction from this.

Adapting wouldn't work where I am. There's already a strong pro-female bias there. Only females get promoted and females are making more money than males. Yeah, quite a change from a few years ago.

I'm not giving this place any more chances. Today I'm firing off some more resumes to other businesses in this city.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 9:20 am

ok dude you didnt point this out in your original post.
dont quit until you have a job your happy with.
look around and suss out what is there and then quit, you will find that you will enjoy your work more when you have made that decision to quit an dfind anotehr job.
i used to leave first then find a job, but you need to find a job then leave.
good luck dude.