Fictional Books With Autistic Characters In Them?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Firechick
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 May 2011, 4:57 pm

Does anyone know of any purely fictional books with autistic characters in them? No, I don't mean books that teach you about autism or how to handle it and all that stuff. I mean PURE fiction.

I know for a fact that The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time is one. My mom has it in her little shelf. I haven't read it (nor will I do so any time soon), but I hear it's interesting.

But my all-time favorite is Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine. It's SUCH a cute book!! It's about a, Asperger's girl named Caitlin who has to deal with the loss of her brother, learn about emotions, make friends, and find closure for herself and her only living family. I love it to death, even though there are some parts of it that bothered me. I highly recommend that everyone read this book!

I'm also looking for this one called Marcelo In The Real World. I hear it's interesting, but I haven't been able to find it.

Anyone know any books like these with autistic characters in them?

RAINCLOUD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2011, 6:16 pm

I read this book a while ago called al capone does my shirts. It is about a boy named Mathew "Moose" Flanagan who moves to Alcatraz Island because his father is an electrician and a guard for Alcatraz Prison.When Moose and the Warden's daughter Piper start a business in which the school children pay fifty cents to have their clothes washed by the prisoners, they end up in hot water with the warden.Also, Moose's "younger" sister named Natalie needs to get into a special school ( Esther P. Marinoff School) and Al Capone helps out.Then his sister Natalie, who suffers from autism, is rejected from the Esther P. Marinoff School, crushing his parents' hopes for Natalie's education. Now Moose must take care of Natalie after school while his mother teaches music lessons, and he must find a way to deal with Natalie's screaming fits and constant needs.In the end Natalie gets accepted into a different school for Autistic children.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 7:02 pm

Stuart M Kaminsky's Inspector Rostnikov mystery series has a character, Emil Karpo, who I am positive is way out on the spectrum, although he is never identified as such. Karp is among the most interesting individuals in fiction. He is a Moscow police detective working under Inspector Rostnikov and although he is not the main character in the series, he is an important member of the ensemble and appears in all the books in the series.

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2011, 7:35 pm

How about "The Little Prince?"

The Little Prince keeps insisting there is a Rose on another planet that needs to be protected and that he must cut down the Forest of Boab Trees in order to save it. He also asks the Starkeeper why he keeps the stars.

(Sort of like a person with Autism or Asperger who insists on their own ideas, battle other people's ideas, and asks a banker why he keeps Other People's Money, and who keeps HIS money.).

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 9:05 pm

Sylvia Lindsay in Angela Brazil's The third class at Miss Kaye's shows AS traits. She has a thing for antiquities and botany. She doesn't like her plans getting disturbed and she lives in her little pretend world. She would pretend that her little friends were characters right out of her books.

ViewUpHere
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2011, 11:10 pm

My fave for so many reasons is "This Alien Shore" by C.S. Friedman. Though the author never calls anything by name (and yes, there's a very clear reason for this), one of the key characters is without a doubt autistic. And though she never appears in the book, his wife is autistic as well. The main character has multiple personality disorder, and one of the other major characters has TS (yaaay! like me!) If you're into science fiction, you might enjoy it.

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 6:38 am

The three-books Swedish thriller serial Millenium (Stieg Larsson). One of the main character is Lisbeth Salander, a kind of geek and nearly associal girl who is explicitly described as she could be Aspie (I mean that the AS name itself appears one or two times in the texte).

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 9:34 pm

Yes, the deservedly wildly popular trilogy by Stieg Larsson has the fascinating character Lisbeth Salander, who I agree is AS.

The name of the 1st book is; The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo. It's now a European movie available in the US with subtitles and evidently Hollywood is producing one too.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 10:47 am

I need to look up those books.
There is one by Elizabeth Moon where the autistic character has to decide whether or not to take treatment that would cure his autism.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 2:26 am

the one by Elizabeth Moon is called speed of dark. also there is saving max by heughen or something and there is the regulators by stephen king under the nom de plume of bachman.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 3:39 pm

Redemption Ark. :heart: Felka.

The year is still young.

Cathleigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2011, 2:37 pm

House Rules by Jodi Picoult has a young adult with Asperger's syndrome as its main character. The boy, Jacob, is accused of murder, and his traits make him look more guilty. I like it in that Jacob isn't portrayed as someone to feel sorry for, or someone without character. Also, the book is tols from different viewpoints: Jacob's, his mother's, his younger brother's, his lawyer's, and the policeman who arrests him. It's not my favourite of Picoult's books, but it's still good.

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2015, 5:02 pm

I just found out about a mystery series because someone posted that they're free on Kindle right now. I haven't read any of them, but I did the "look inside the book" and the main character says he's autistic. The first book is called Darkness Once More. I'm going to download it anyway, and see. Not so much interested in the mystery, at this point, but in how the author portrays the character.

Woodfish
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2015, 4:06 am

Firechick wrote:
I'm also looking for this one called Marcelo In The Real World. I hear it's interesting, but I haven't been able to find it. ...

I was surprised how much I liked Marcelo In The Real World.

If we concentrate on accepting ourselves, change will happen. It will take care of itself. Self-acceptance is so hard to get you can't do it a day at a time. I've found that I need to run my life five minutes at a time. --Jess Lair

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 2:32 am

VMSmith wrote:
also there is saving max by heughen or something

Antoinette van Heugten is the author of Saving Max.

Other fictional books:

Matthew Green: Memoirs of an imaginary friend

Ann M Martin: Inside out
A corner of the universe
Rain reign
Kristy and the Secret of Susan (Baby-Sitters Club)

Beverly Brenna: Waiting for no one
The white bicycle
Wild orchid

Kathy Hoopman: Haze
Blue bottle mystery
Of mice and aliens
Lisa and the lacemaker

Cynthia Lord: Rules

Celia Rees: Truth or dare

Graeme Simsion: The Rosie project

Nora Raleigh Baskin: Anything but typical

Gennifer Choldenko’s Al Capone trilogy