Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2011, 7:40 pm

Could Someone tell me what an Honest Mistake is?

Neurotypicals don't accept the statement: "It was an Honest Mistake." when a person with a disability did Something Wrong.

Why is that? Do They (Neurotypicals) know what an Honest Mistake is?

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 7:45 pm

They know what an honest mistake is, they just enjoy blaming others.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 7:45 pm

I think it usually means when you do/assume something but were well intentioned, but end up screwing up in the process.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 7:46 pm

An honest mistake is something done with unintentional consequences. It's a figure of speech used to point out that a person's actions were not malicious.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 7:53 pm

I think an honest mistake is when someone does something and it wasn't their intent. Like an honest mistake could be where you thought someone did something wrong so you blamed it on them. Then you find out they didn't do it and apologize to them about it. Or it can mean you said something and the person got upset. Honest mistake because it was not your intent to get them upset.

RAINCLOUD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2011, 8:08 pm

A honest mistake means that you did not mean to do something wrong, and that you made a mistake.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 8:55 pm

There is a sense that an individual cannot make the exact same honest mistake twice. If it was an honest mistake the first time, well then, now you know. Do it a second time; that seems intentional.

Are you making the exact same honest mistake repeatedly?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 10:00 pm

I can imagine aspies making the same honest mistakes like social mistakes like misreading body language or cues, taking things literal, having meltdowns or being inflexible to change.

I honestly don't see the point in apologizing for my traits if I am going to do them again because apologizing means you won't do it again. It be like a blind person apologizing for not being able to see something, are they going to see it next time?

Okay I can apologize for making a social mistake like if I said something and it offended someone so I apologized for it. I won't say that to them again but that doesn't mean I won't make anymore social mistakes. I mean I won't say that to them again. Literally that.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 10:26 pm

[quote="League_Girl"]I can imagine aspies making the same honest mistakes like social mistakes like misreading body language or cues, taking things literal, having meltdowns or being inflexible to change.[quote]

This is exactly what I was fishing for. You're right. But NTs don't know that. How would they?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 10:31 pm

MountainLaurel wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I can imagine aspies making the same honest mistakes like social mistakes like misreading body language or cues, taking things literal, having meltdowns or being inflexible to change.
Quote:

This is exactly what I was fishing for. You're right. But NTs don't know that. How would they?

If they know you have a disability, yeah unless they don't understand the condition. Just because someone knows about AS doesn't mean they know what it really is or understand it. I think AS is one of the most misunderstood conditions out there, some think it's made up and an excuse.

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2011, 10:48 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I honestly don't see the point in apologizing for my traits if I am going to do them again because apologizing means you won't do it again. It be like a blind person apologizing for not being able to see something, are they going to see it next time?

Okay I can apologize for making a social mistake like if I said something and it offended someone so I apologized for it. I won't say that to them again but that doesn't mean I won't make anymore social mistakes. I mean I won't say that to them again. Literally that.

In my case, I know that I will repeatedly make the same mistake time and time again, most likely because I am reacting to partial or incorrect information. This does not stop me feeling remorse or taking away any meaning from an apology. To use your analogy. It may not be appropriate for the blind man to appologise for not seeing something, but it may be appropriate/polite for him to appologise for repeatedly bumping into someone who might or might not have changed position.

sasiku
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2011, 6:46 am

I foreplayed my Lover. Sorry!