Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 9:03 pm

Marvel or DC?

Ookla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2011, 10:42 pm

I don't read new comics very much anymore--a lot of them take themselves too seriously. But when I was a kid in the Eighties, I was definitely a Marvel fan: Hulk, X-Men, Transformers, Walt Simonson's Thor run, John Byrne's Fantastic Four run. The only DC book I bought back then was Swamp Thing, when Alan Moore was writing it.

I have picked up a few TPBs of DC recently, though, because I think Geoff Johns is an outstanding writer. His work on Green Lantern and Flash is well worth the money.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 12:15 am

8-11 DC

11-13 Marvel

13-17 too cool for comics

17-now DC (mostly)

I like DC characters for nostalgia and because of Bruce Timm's DCAU. Bruce Timm/Kevin Conroy's Batman will always be THE Batman for me, and Timm's version of Superman is the only one I've ever found interesting (Project Cadmus was great). Bruce Timm has the best take on villains too--Brainiac, Victor Fries, The Ventriloquist, Harley Quinn...

Only current comics I read (still catching up) are Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps... As Ookla stated, Geoff Johns is Da'Man!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 5:19 am

I grew up with Marvel - in particular the Fantastic Four, Super Villain Team Up, the Avengers, The X Men, the Hulk, Conan the Barbarian, and of course, Spiderman - and thus, I still consider myself a Marvel guy. I read little, if any of DC back in the day, though I loved Warner's stuff, such as Creepy (now taken over by Dark Horse), Eerie, and Rook, though I was way too timid as a kid to ever buy Vampirella. These days, I pretty much stick with the Conan titles now published under Dark Horse as my primary comic book intake.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 9:59 am

I really missed out on the Marvel/DC comics as a kid, so I had to settle for the movies instead. Marvel gave us more good films than DC did, yet DC's had better luck on television series and direct-to-video films.

I'm going to have to go with Marvel since I don't watch too much television (save for the original Batman Animated Series) or buy too many DTV films (although I enjoyed Wonder Woman and Superman II: Richard Donner's Cut). What puts Marvel over the top is their middle of the road films (Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk, Wolverine, Thor): ones that weren't classics (X-Men 1&2, Spiderman 1&2, Iron Man) or busts (Daredevil, Punisher, Elektra). DC's films have usually either been big hits or big misses with nearly no in-betweens.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 2:31 pm

Vertigo, but given Vertigo is DC's "mature" label, I voted for them. In terms of from whom I own the most TPBs, THBs, and individual comics from biggest to smallest:

Vertigo (more than any other two labels combined, also contains my two favorite series of all time, The Sandman and Y the Last Man)

Image (has some of my current favorite running series, The Walking Dead, Chew, and Invincible)

Dark Horse

DC (I only really read the Green Lantern comics, plus a few of the event comics and definitive stories for the other characters)

A shelf of random smaller labels

Marvel (just the new Invincible Iron Man series and Ender's Game/Shadow)

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2011, 12:41 pm

Face it True Believers, the Marvel age is still in high gear! 'Nuff said!

Excelsior!

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 6:35 pm

As much as I LOVE Batman, I had to say Marvel. They have more interesting characters and more diversity in my opinion.

twoface17
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2011, 6:47 pm

I like DC Comics because I enjoy superheroes and super villains without super powers the most and DC Comics has a lot of them.

Batman, Batgirl, Robin, Nightwing, Joker, Riddler, Two-Face, Penguin, Ventriloquist, Firefly, Ra's Al Ghul, Scarecrow, Catwoman, Two-Face, Harley Quinn, Mad Hatter, and so forth.

Huntress, Wildcat, Green Arrow, Speedy, Clock King, Toyman, Lex Luthor, Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, VIgilante, The Question, The Shining Knight, S.T.R.I.P.E., and Stargirl.

I also like the Gotham City Police Department especially Commissioner Gordon. They aren't superheroes, but they are great characters from the normal to the corrupt.

neerdowell
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jun 2011, 2:27 pm

I like Marvel but I buy mainly DC books. I like the characters more and there villains alot more. I got into comics when Crisis on Infinite Earths came out and have been reading DC ever since.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 12:41 am

I haven't read any of the comics. I'm more familiar with the adaptations, like the DCAU and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2014, 2:45 pm

I was always drawn toward Marvel Comics more than DC, which I think has a lot to do with the premises of Spider-Man and X-Men, primarily. One is about a geeky guy who gains fantastic powers through a freak accident, and goes on to learn about the price of heroism and the awesome responsibility that rests upon his shoulders. The other is about a group of outcasts who are fighting to protect a society and a world in which many people fear and hate them. From those two titles, it was easy to branch out to other Marvel properties.

I did very much enjoy the DC title Birds of Prey, which centers around the master hacker Oracle who is partnered up with martial artist Black Canary, forming a covert ops duo, often bringing in the help of other DCU heroines like Power Girl or Catwoman. It was a really fun book.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 4:53 pm

Being a superhero fan, this is very hard for me to decide. I'll be honest while I have read a few comics in my day, mostly graphic novels I don't really read that many comics. I basically watch cartoon shows and movies. I will say that I probably would point mostly to Marvel because well there are a lot of movies. I should also mention that my favourite superhero is Batman, who is of course a DC character. With DC it's always Batman and Superman, and any other DC character that got his or her own movie was never really in the same crowd with Batman and Superman. The only DC character that did belong in that crowd was Green Lantern and that movie was bad. Sure Marvel has had it's share of disappointments but they make up for that with the ones that were good. So being a movie goer Marvel defiantly beats DC with it's movies. Though The Dark Knight (a DC movie) is in my opinion the best superhero movie ever made and it's not like there are other DC movies (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight Rises, Superman etc) that are better than some good marvel movies. I will say that the one thing that DC does better than Marvel are in fact the cartoon shows. I mean shows like X-Men, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and the Spectacular Spider-man are great shows and are even better than some good DC shows, but I say DC because they have a lot more good ones like Batman the Animated Series, Justice League, Young Justice, Batman Beyond, Green Lantern the Animated Series, Teen Titans and many more. So to sum it up I'm not saying that I like Marvel more than DC but I will say that it has probably had a bigger impact on me, so I guess maybe I am a little more into Marvel. But like I said, Batman is my No. 1 superhero and to be fair I probably love the Batman Universe more than the entire DC Universe and also Marvel.