Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

brokenseeker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2011, 3:29 am

I am not diagnosed with Asp, but after somethnig I heard about my childhood today I beleive I have it.

I was diagnosed with ADD as a child. It was in many ways a good fit. However treatment wasn't particularly effective, and it didn't explain some of the big problems I had such as: being a social misfit, not being able to understand other's emotions, problems with normal conversation, dissintrest with small talk, and tendancy to lecture, which persist to this day. I am not, however, clumsy, I played outside plenty.

I have always had trouble sleeping. I identify and get along well with aquantances diagnosed with Asperger's. I have managed to socialize well by watching people in highschool and by actively learning in college and parties, but it's very akward for me, I still think about it as a step by step process. I am on my toes to act normal around strangers. I prefer to only talk to friends.

The specific childhood story that tiped the scale was that I used to rock myself, bang my head on the wall, or systematicaly rip out my hair in locks. My mother worked with me a great deal to make these behaviors go away. I barely even remember having them.

It is by no means diffenitive. I have a psychology degree, but self diagnosis is always a bad idea. I think I would like to get re-evaluated, and how I would aproach expressing my doubt and inclination. Strangers don't tend to thing I could have Asp, but close friends thing it's very possible, even without knowing my childhood.

I'm here to socialize and learn about how others and myself can/should deal with... well all of this.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 5:36 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet

You know yourself more than anyone else does, so you probably have the best idea about whether you have it or not. Compare yourself to the diagnostic criteria and see how well you fit.
Hope you enjoy your time here :)

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 6:24 am

Anyway, the important thing isn't whether the diagnosis is right, it's whether the diagnosis gives you something useful to work with...

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 9:37 am

Welcome!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 7:39 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

CockneyRebel
Veteran