What are some foods you just can't stand?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 4:29 am

We all have our different textures and tastes with sensory issues so it makes me a little curious. What are some foods that you can't stand and why?

For me it is meatloaf. I hate everything about it. I barely put it in my mouth and I just start gagging. Seriously, I just can't even stand it one bit.

I also hate tomatoes. I mean I love it in spaghetti or chili but alone or on a cheeseburger... out of the question. I can't eat tomatoes on salads or tacos either.

I also can't eat hamburgers. I tried once and even with ketchup, I just can't... the taste is so weird to me without having cheese on my hamburger.

I also hate mustard. It is bitter and burns my tongue so much its like it tingles.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 4:33 am

I hate sweet apples. The only kinds of apples I like to eat are sour ones.

When I was little I didn't like honey; but I grew out of it and now I like it.

I also don't like non-kosher foods (pork, seafood, etc). My family is Jewish. I became Christian few years ago. So I don't feel it is "sinful" to eat these foods any more. But I still feel there is something about them that MUST taste bad, and if I try them and they taste good I would still think that htey taste bad, if you know what I mean.

By the way the same is true for sweet apples. Even if I eat them and they taste good I would still THINK they taste bad and want to throw up ... all because when I was little I happened to throw up after eating one of them (and by the way apples are fine to eat according to Jewish law).

FTM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2011, 5:16 am

Kiwi fruit, can't stand the taste or texture. The wife once hid a tiny piece of Kiwi in a fruit salad just as a test. She was convinced when I nearly spat the salad across the table. Same with the tap water here in southern England, she once filled up an empty mineral water bottle with tap water and put it in the fridge. Same result, I spat out the water and said it must be old because it tasted bad, she confessed what she had done.

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2011, 5:23 am

Overripe fruti and veggies - they taste like rotten even though others say they are still good.
I also don't like food that is too rough since it makes a funny noise while I eat it. Some apples make a funny noise, too. Otherwise I am not that picky.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 5:23 am

Mushrooms. They are so rubbery and squeak against my teeth. *shudders*

Celery. A weird type of crunch and all stringy.

Cooked peppers. I like them raw, but cooked in a casserole they become so squishy and rubbery.

I used to refuse to eat anything with onions when I was a child, for the same slimey, rubbery issues.

My mother's favourite foods are mushrooms, peppers and onions. I wasn't her favourite person.

Last edited by Henbane on 25 May 2011, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 5:24 am

FTM wrote:
Kiwi fruit, can't stand the taste or texture. The wife once hid a tiny piece of Kiwi in a fruit salad just as a test. She was convinced when I nearly spat the salad across the table. Same with the tap water here in southern England, she once filled up an empty mineral water bottle with tap water and put it in the fridge. Same result, I spat out the water and said it must be old because it tasted bad, she confessed what she had done.

I can't bear tap water. It's so chlorinated and tastes revolting.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 5:26 am

The only meat I eat is fish, but when I did eat other meats, I didn't like offal (tripe, liver, kidneys) or beef olives (sausage inside a slice of beef). I will eat just about anything that isn't red meat or poultry, but I hate aubergine (eggplant), pickled olives and artificial cream.

My daughter is a worry. She used to eat anything I gave her and was weaned on a large variety of foods. Tomatoes were the first thing she started to refuse, but the list is growing. She used to love peas and cucumber, but won't touch them now. She won't eat yogurt with pieces in it. She likes everything to be separate. I make stuffed peppers and she has the stufffing on the side (depending on what it is she may not even eat that). She won't eat a cake containing raisins or sultanas. Raw food is more appealing to her than cooked.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 5:35 am

I absolutely hated tomatoes when I was a child, they slipped out of my mouth with disgust. In spite of this, I liked tomatoes processed, eg. in sauce form. I didn't eat slicing cucumber, most types of cold meat, offal, sausage, onion, garlic, and was sensitive to a slight degree how the food looked like on my plate. I didn't like when certain foods were put together on my plate either.

Now I grew out of most of them, I'm proud of myself! :D To tell the truth, I eat very well, I eat up almost everything...

Last edited by OJani on 25 May 2011, 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 5:37 am

tomatoes and eggs

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 5:39 am

most raw veggies, due to acridness/bitterness as well as some nasty tactile qualities about them, especially raw tomatoes - when i see a sliced tomato lying split down the middle, on a cutting board, i almost rolf because when i see the quivering jelly with all those little seeds floating about in it, it is almost like seeing a disemboweled living thing. the tactile quality/taste of the quivering jelly with the seeds in it is beyond endurance. BLECH!! !! :eew:

munching on raw carrots is akin to eating congealed sawdust that has been pressed into tough little grunchy turds of sawdusty unpleasantness.
cucumbers, no matter how they're sliced, are like eating grunchy acrid slices of slimy minty rubber discs. but thinly sliced [seasoned] pickles i can tolerate, for some reason.
mushrooms [unless they are minced into a paste and well-dispersed in a thin mixture in a compound food] are like earthy-tasting bits of semisoft rubber. only in the adult forums can i say what they really taste like.

caraway seeds- like eating vaguely mint-flavored wood chips.
raw meat or fish or poultry- beyond BLECH!! !! :eew:
mushy black bananas. GAWD! :eew:
plain white yogurt. as a coworker said to me once, "plain yogurt tastes like HELL!"

those are the biggies.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 5:45 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
The only meat I eat is fish, but when I did eat other meats, I didn't like offal (tripe, liver, kidneys) or beef olives (sausage inside a slice of beef). I will eat just about anything that isn't red meat or poultry, but I hate aubergine (eggplant), pickled olives and artificial cream.

My daughter is a worry. She used to eat anything I gave her and was weaned on a large variety of foods. Tomatoes were the first thing she started to refuse, but the list is growing. She used to love peas and cucumber, but won't touch them now. She won't eat yogurt with pieces in it. She likes everything to be separate. I make stuffed peppers and she has the stufffing on the side (depending on what it is she may not even eat that). She won't eat a cake containing raisins or sultanas. Raw food is more appealing to her than cooked.

I only ate stuffed peppers without the pepper... Only with meatloafs... And if somebody removed the pepper, I still complained it was not the same shape and color... weird. :) I still have the quirk I like to eat raw dough and paste...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 5:51 am

oh my, how could i possibly forget- OLIVES! :eew:
they are so powerfully horrible-tasting, that if olives ever were in a food and were removed, they still would ruin the flavor of the whole dish for me. taking the olives off my slice of pizza is insufficient, as the whole pizza slice still is contaminated with the bitter/sour flavor of olives.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 6:00 am

auntblabby wrote:
most raw veggies, due to acridness/bitterness as well as some nasty tactile qualities about them, especially raw tomatoes - when i see a sliced tomato lying split down the middle, on a cutting board, i almost rolf because when i see the quivering jelly with all those little seeds floating about in it, it is almost like seeing a disemboweled living thing. the tactile quality/taste of the quivering jelly with the seeds in it is beyond endurance. BLECH!! !! :eew:

munching on raw carrots is akin to eating congealed sawdust that has been pressed into tough little grunchy turds of sawdusty unpleasantness.
cucumbers, no matter how they're sliced, are like eating grunchy acrid slices of slimy minty rubber discs. but thinly sliced [seasoned] pickles i can tolerate, for some reason.
mushrooms [unless they are minced into a paste and well-dispersed in a thin mixture in a compound food] are like earthy-tasting bits of semisoft rubber. only in the adult forums can i say what they really taste like.

caraway seeds- like eating vaguely mint-flavored wood chips.
raw meat or fish or poultry- beyond BLECH!! !! :eew:
mushy black bananas. GAWD! :eew:
plain white yogurt. as a coworker said to me once, "plain yogurt tastes like HELL!"

those are the biggies.

:lmao: I am cracked up.

I agree with you on mushrooms.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 6:21 am

I'm a foodie so there are few things I wouldn't eat. Although I don't like a lot of candies and sweet stuff. Things like jelly beans, gummy candies, twizzlers, licorice...etc. I don't know if I'm missing some essential taste buds or something. There are a lot of things people (say, fudge) just say "oooh, yummy" that I just can't see how and why. To me they just taste like flour and sugar or something else very simple. Pretty much flavorless to me. I will eat them if I'm really hungry or bored, but there's little enjoyment.

I do like chocolate. Though they need to be the good ones. Can't stand cheap chocolate.

*I love pungent, sharp tasting or bitter veggies. :) It's not a developed taste. I can remember liking them since I was 4 years old.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 6:26 am

Tomato Ketchup. I went through a period when I would only eat Tomato Ketchup sandwiches. Now, my stomach turns when I just look at it. I don't mind, I probably ate several lifetime supplies of the stuff. :lol:

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 May 2011, 6:28 am

I dislike foods with cilantro in it. Cilantro has a chemical/ metal taste to me.