Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 6:00 am

I was coming back from the shop a few days ago, when a van pulled up beside me. This immediately triggered a range of panic responses in me, but I am trying to act like a relatively normal human being at the moment, so I stopped to see what the driver wanted.

The man driving asked me if I was local. I nodded. He then said he had been working on a housing development nearby (there are a couple), and that he had too many mattresses left over from this job. He asked if I, or anyone I knew, would like a mattress.

I was just a bit flummoxed by this. I thought it was a bit odd. But anyway, I don't know any other human beings in the area I live in, and there was no way I was going to open my door to him, no matter how normal I am trying to be. So I said no.

I didn't really think anything about it. But when I told my mum about what happened, she said I could have been scammed, and the man could have been dangerous.

I find this really hard. I'm trying to not give in to my anxieties quite so much these days. Be braver. But I'm also quite gullible and naive. So maybe I should just stick with my anxieties, at least they will protect me a bit.

Was this a scam? Was he dangerous? Or is my mum more paranoid than I am?

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 6:13 am

Yes, it was a scam. I know because I've fallen for similar scams and got badly hurt (yes - I am stupidly gullible). The scam is simple - they play on peoples greed (I can get something cheap) and fear (this opportunity will pass me by).

You did exactly the right thing. :D

psych
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 6:32 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam

sounds like a new twist on an old scam.

Daria
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 May 2011, 7:19 am

OMG there's no stopping in these guys! Good thing you didn't ask for more details

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 3:31 pm

OK. Well I'm glad I said no then.

I only really said no because of general anxiety of any human beings in my house, not because I had any suspicions about his motives. Makes me think I should stick with my anxiety if it will save me from people like him. Not that I have a whole lot of choice it seems.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 3:39 pm

I would have done the same as you, but I don't know if I'd have realized it was a scam either. I always say no to anything out of the norm simply because it's out of the norm. I guess that has its benefits!

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 3:55 pm

Zen wrote:
I would have done the same as you, but I don't know if I'd have realized it was a scam either. I always say no to anything out of the norm simply because it's out of the norm. I guess that has its benefits!

Yup, it seems that way. :)

psych
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 6:01 pm

Henbane wrote:
OK. Well I'm glad I said no then.

I only really said no because of general anxiety of any human beings in my house, not because I had any suspicions about his motives. Makes me think I should stick with my anxiety if it will save me from people like him. Not that I have a whole lot of choice it seems.

anxiety robs you of life.

nurture a sense of intuition, heal the anxiety.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 6:42 pm

This is a common scam and has many variations. It always follows this format:

"I was working on a job site nearby and I have lots of leftover (----fill in the blank----) that I need to get rid of. I could sell it to you for a very good price."

I got a homeowner's variation of this. Guy drives up. Says he was paving driveways nearby and he has lots of leftover asphalt. It would be a waste to throw it away but it doesn't keep once it's been made. So he has to use it up. He could pave my driveway really cheap." :roll:

At another time, a different man drove up and "was working nearby on a painting job" with a similar offer to sell me very cheap housepaint.

Now that you are familiar with the format of this scam, you will be able to recognize it the next time somebody pulls it, and there will probably be a next time.

The scammer isn't necessarily dangerous. More often than not it is a bid to sell you crappy or stolen products, not a bid to hurt you.

It's almost comical how your scammer stuck firmly to the "I was working in a job site nearby" script even though that doesn't make much sense for mattresses.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 7:01 pm

Sounds like he's trying to get rid of mattresses that are probably infested with bedbugs.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 7:15 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
Sounds like he's trying to get rid of mattresses that are probably infested with bedbugs.

That sounds very likely. I bet somebody hired him to dispose of infested mattresses (maybe a hotel?) and he decided to get even more money by selling them instead of disposing of them.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 5:25 pm

Yeah, the guys selling speakers have pulled up to me twice.

The last ones said "I've got some awesome speakers from a old job" (they came wailing into the gas station).

I say "Well, what kind?"
They say "nice ones from a job we just did and we're trying to get rid of them, what will you give us for them?"..
I said "10 bucks?"
They said "aw c'mon, if I show you would you give me more?"
I said "Well, I'd probably give you less"
They said "Wtf do you mean?"
I said "If I see them I'd have to give you less"...

Then they drove away.

We also have people selling perfume constantly, guys that try to hand you cd's. People who ask you the time then ask for money. Drive by "I'm out of gas" people... People who say "my husband is abusing me and I need money to get to the next town"...

Generally if someone stops you and asks you for something or tries to sell/hand you something you just say no. Good practice. I usually get flipped off a lot, they don't like it if you don't play along. I'm surprised I haven't been shot as of yet.