Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 9:52 am

kc8ufv wrote:
I'm KC8UFV, and I'm a Gleek.

i think i get what a "gleek" is, but is "KC8UFV" your amateur radio callsign? just curious.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 10:49 am

hyperlexian wrote:
well, what we do in Canada is create a brilliant television show with our crown corporation broadcaster (CBC), then wait until it gets really popular - say, around to 2 to 4 seasons - then randomly cancel it with no explanation. there is sometimes a huge public outcry, but because the CBC is not primarily supported by advertising revenue, the lineup is usually not based on viewership.

well, hopefully your faves can [upon getting axed by the Ceeb] make the migration to cable networks [such as "The Kids In The Hall" did with showtime], or even to PBS [the closest thing america has to the Ceeb]. i understand many canadian cable networks carry PBS.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 10:51 am

auntblabby wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
well, what we do in Canada is create a brilliant television show with our crown corporation broadcaster (CBC), then wait until it gets really popular - say, around to 2 to 4 seasons - then randomly cancel it with no explanation. there is sometimes a huge public outcry, but because the CBC is not primarily supported by advertising revenue, the lineup is usually not based on viewership.

well, hopefully your faves can [upon getting axed by the Ceeb] make the migration to cable networks [such as "The Kids In The Hall" did with showtime], or even to PBS [the closest thing america has to the Ceeb]. i understand many canadian cable networks carry PBS.

yes PBS kicks ass! i grew up watching it, and it is still one of the best channels in north america as far as i'm concerned.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 10:54 am

hyperlexian wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

yes PBS kicks ass! i grew up watching it, and it is still one of the best channels in north america as far as i'm concerned.

do you have any american relatives you can persuade to write a letter to their congressman, to vote in favor of continued funding of PBS? the repubs are still trying to cut the financial legs out from under it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 11:09 am

auntblabby wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

do you have any american relatives you can persuade to write a letter to their congressman, to vote in favor of continued funding of PBS? the repubs are still trying to cut the financial legs out from under it.

i am sure they already are doing so, but i will definitely check!

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 3:13 pm

auntblabby wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:

i think i get what a "gleek" is, but is "KC8UFV" your amateur radio callsign? just curious.

Yes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 4:19 pm

kc8ufv wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:

Yes.

if you don't mind, what class license? [i.e., tech, general, advanced]

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 6:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:

Yes.

Extra, though I mostly use the higher license at Field Day and as a VE. Are you also a ham?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 4:45 am

kc8ufv wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:

Yes.

Extra, though I mostly use the higher license at Field Day and as a VE.

that's pretty high up there. 8) out of curiosity, do you also hold a radiotelephone [commercial] license?

kc8ufv wrote:
Are you also a ham?

nah, i am way too innumerate [maths challenged] to ever get the material or figure out how to make transceivers/antennae. but i have known some hams and i have visited the tacoma branch of the ARRL. i just find it all to be fascinating, especially amateur TV broadcasts- and for some reason, the 6 meter band seems to grab my fancy- i guess it's because it is at the border of the MUF, where one can decide either to terrestrially transmit or to work skip. i was one among legions of those weird CBers back in the 70s.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:05 am

auntblabby wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:

Yes.

Extra, though I mostly use the higher license at Field Day and as a VE.

that's pretty high up there. 8) out of curiosity, do you also hold a radiotelephone [commercial] license?

kc8ufv wrote:
Are you also a ham?

nah, i am way too innumerate [maths challenged] to ever get the material or figure out how to make transceivers/antennae. but i have known some hams and i have visited the tacoma branch of the ARRL. i just find it all to be fascinating, especially amateur TV broadcasts- and for some reason, the 6 meter band seems to grab my fancy- i guess it's because it is at the border of the MUF, where one can decide either to terrestrially transmit or to work skip. i was one among legions of those weird CBers back in the 70s.

Though I've looked at gettingmy GROL a few times, and live in a major port city in the great lakes, I've never actually went and taken the test.

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2011, 11:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
Being Erica - it has gay, lesbian, bisexual and bicurious characters, as well as an effeminate straight male.

america needs to have a program like that, but for some reason i get the impression it wouldn't fly south of the [canadian] border. we as a nation are always several years or decades behind the rest of the world, culturally. the biggest problem here [in that regard] is the timidity/conservatism of the big 3 networks [ABC/NBC/CBS], to any new ideas or new cultural trends. btw, the derisive moniker applied to NBC was "Nothing But Censors." :roll:

PBS might be willing take it, as they took "Are You Being Served?," and that show probably pushes or breaks through the boundaries of what the Big Three are willing to broadcast, and the last episode of that was made in 1985.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

18 Jun 2011, 3:08 am

I dont watch much fiction, so mine is Ellen Degeneres

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jun 2011, 12:42 am

American Dad~ news-reporters Greg & Terry are a very stereotypical gay couple

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ceres
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2011, 3:43 pm

I like many of the shows already mentioned (I own the Buffy DVD box set) but right now I'd say my favorite is Skins UK.

throat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2011, 3:02 am

Southpark

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

Modern Family