Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2011, 2:48 pm

I can't leave the house without a bag containing at the very least my iPod and at the most my ebooks, real books, notebooks, pens, DS, PSP, basically anything I might ever possibly need to combat boredom. I have this chronic fear of being somewhere and regretting leaving something at home that I'll want.

The good news is, I'm a girl so it looks pretty normal for me to walk around with a bag full of stuff. It's just when people look in it and see that It's not full of normal girl stuff that people give me looks. Drives my mom absolutely nuts.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 5:42 pm

My mp3 player (formally a cd player, a cassette player, and a radio built into headphones...hurray for advancements in technology), books, hoodies (initially school uniform sweaters...it began in kindergarten), sleeping bags (until my mother took them), and bits of obsidian.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 5:54 pm

I like to carry other then my boost phone with unlimited web is my netbook and virign mobile 3G air card or lately my step dads old samsung phone with android 2.2 on it. There is also a mp3 player I have that I loaded with tom clancy audiobooks. Also my 3com palm pilot

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 6:02 pm

mori_pastel wrote:
I can't leave the house without a bag containing at the very least my iPod and at the most my ebooks, real books, notebooks, pens, DS, PSP, basically anything I might ever possibly need to combat boredom. I have this chronic fear of being somewhere and regretting leaving something at home that I'll want.

The good news is, I'm a girl so it looks pretty normal for me to walk around with a bag full of stuff. It's just when people look in it and see that It's not full of normal girl stuff that people give me looks. Drives my mom absolutely nuts.

this. only a backpack. drives my mom nuts as well.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 6:25 pm

I hardly ever take stuff with me outside of the house. I'm a minimalist.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 7:03 pm

blackcat wrote:
mori_pastel wrote:

omg... I carry around a backpack too... and my mom is always like, "Why do you need all that stuff? We're only going to walmart..." or something.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2011, 7:08 pm

iheartmegahitt wrote:
blackcat wrote:
mori_pastel wrote:

omg... I carry around a backpack too... and my mom is always like, "Why do you need all that stuff? We're only going to walmart..." or something.

Haha, that's exactly what my mom says too! My dad's pretty much given up on me. Whenever we go somewhere, he always stops right before we leave to ask if I've got all my "life support." XD If I know we're not going somewhere where I'll have to get out of the car, I'll leave my shoes but never my stuff.

Vivienne
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2011, 11:19 pm

I have a blanket. Always have. Since I was 2 years old. Of course, it's been replaced again and again over the years. But always the same 'kind'. And yea, it's terribly embarrassing. But I'm not giving it up because sometimes, in this world it's all I have, to tell me that I'll be OK.

Also pictures. I have some old pictures of a certain celebrity that has been with me for two decades. Looking at them calms me down, and makes me feel safe for some reason. It's like having a friend.

And yeah I know that's sad.

So at this point I really don't care what other people might think. If it gets me through the days, then I'm keeping them! lol.

"Be plain, good son, and homely in thy drift;
Riddling confession finds but riddling shrift"
~Shakespeare

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 12:43 am

a rice buddy which I now dont know where the hell he is and I am wonerign where he is at ffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 12:59 pm

Reading always lowers my stress level, but I don't carry a book when I leave the house. If I did it would have to be a book acceptable to other people in terms of subject matter, age and condition, and that's not the kind of book I like to read.

When I go out I am always prepared with a pen and notebook to jot down any interesting information I come across or sketch any interesting design. Otherwise I'd be afraid of losing something valuable. Also I do a kind of protection voodoo by making sure all the metals I'm wearing--rings, watch, eyeglass frames, belt buckle--are the same color. Silver with silver, gold with gold only.

SilverSolace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 May 2011, 1:36 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
My therapist called them "transition objects." I have a million. Little dolls, little stuffed critters, chewy necklace, iPod, all kinds of things. Not all at once, mind you; they take turns.

^ This, exactly. Only I never had a therapist, nor had a name for it.

Hauge
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2011, 2:12 pm

Definetly would'nt know what to do without music/PC/internet, or my camera!! !

And every time i leave the flat, i have to have my Thinkpad, and dSLR, with me!
- My backpack weighs around 11-13 Kg. And therefor is a workout in itself! :lol:

AQ=44, EQ=7, SQ=64, Aspie-quiz AS=162/200 NT=37/200

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2011, 2:26 pm

the_curmudge wrote:
Reading always lowers my stress level, but I don't carry a book when I leave the house. If I did it would have to be a book acceptable to other people in terms of subject matter, age and condition, and that's not the kind of book I like to read.

Ever thought of investing in an ebook reader? Or even a fancy cell phone/iPad with PDF capabilities. People don't have to know what you're reading. ; D Thousands of pages can come in a very lightweight, nondescript package.

Heck, especially (if I guessed right) you're into reading older books. If the copyright has run out (as I'm sure you're already aware) a quick Google search can provided you with the full text. Stick that text in a Word file (given that your chosen reader is capable of displaying Word files) and you've got any book over a hundred years old at your disposal for free!

I'm big into unpublished stuff too, things that are on the internet for free, so for me, having an ereader is a very pleasant alternative to carrying around a computer.

But the downside is when I bought my ereader, you could get pretty much any paperback you wanted for 99 cents but the market was small. I was kind of banking on the market expanding and the prices staying the same. Instead, now that ebooks are getting so popular, paperbacks cost around $9.99, which is ridiculous! If you're cutting out the costs of production, it should lower costs! It shouldn't mean that you should suddenly be earning 1,000% more on every book you sell!

But that's a rant for another time. In short, if you're into stuff you're not going to have to pay for, an ereader might be a good investment for you. Or if you're just sick of real books for some reason.

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2011, 6:22 pm

If I'm not using it I carry my ipod with me even when I am in the house. I move it from room to room, gives me comfort just knowing its close. As a teenager I carried around a crystal for about 5 years and then a laminated magazine photo of a celebrity who was my aspie interest at the time. Both were very grounding, like a secret world I could escape to just by putting my hand in my pocket.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 8:36 pm

I forgot bookbags. Yes I stash it with stuff. I take public transport often so it just looks lke a habit...whic I guess it it.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 8:38 pm

I forgot bookbags. Yes I stash it with stuff. I take public transport often so it just looks lke a habit...whic I guess it it.