Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2011, 4:06 am

Ive got a friend who occasionally raises the volume of his voice well above everyone else in the conversation.

It's like an itch I cant scratch. I want to ask him to speak at a reasonable volume but I hesitate because I dont want to criticize him.

Does anyone relate to this problem? Any loud talkers out there who could share some insight into their habit?
I mean no offense. Im embarrassed that I cant be more accepting and less judgmental.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 4:26 am

I actually have been told my voice is loud. The problem is that when I talk and hear myself, my voice pitch is normal but to others it comes off as being loud. I get upset when people tell me to lower my voice because its hard for me to do so since I don't hear the pitches. I've even come close to snapping at my life skills teacher I used to have for it.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

mortparadis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2011, 6:56 pm

I can get really loud sometimes, the problem is I never notice it. Most of the rest of the time people say I'm not speaking loud enough.

I really would not get offended if someone told me I was being too loud. I would get embarrassed (I get embarrassed very easily) but I'd do my best to keep my volume reasonable.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 7:06 pm

You're his friend, and not the only one who notices or gets annoyed by it, in all likelihood.

Best time to bring it up, if you choose to, is in private, shortly after he does it. Or, he can just move to Texas. :wink:

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 7:12 pm

When I'm talking to my parents (my NT mother in particular) in a public place, she sometimes tells me to talk more quietly. I can't tell the difference and my dad (who may have AS) really doesn't point it out unless we're in a public place that's quiet (movie theater, church).

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 9:58 pm

I tend to be a bit loud I don't even know I am until my mum tells me.
If I'm shopping I try and not be too loud its hard when its something that is so natural to you.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 12:39 am

I talk loud and don't even know it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 5:46 pm

There's this loud talker who goes to my clubhouse. People are always telling her to keep it down. I'm a little more lenient with her, because I understand that she's young for her age.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:49 am

I'm a lot like that friend of yours, and I seem to talk LOUD in the worst possible situations.

crouton
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 4:15 pm

Another 'loud talker' here. For as long as I can remember, I've been met with orders to 'quieten down' and 'stop shouting' when I believe I'm behaving perfectly normally. It's hard for me to offer any insight into why I have these difficulties adjusting my volume, so to speak; all I can say is that I seem to have some issues with perception, in that what 'feels normal' to me often strikes other people as being inappropriate. Also, I'm more frequently instructed to lower my voice when I'm talking about something that excites me, or when I'm in some way emotional, so perhaps I just get overly absorbed in the subject of conversation or my own heightened feelings...

LaydeeWriter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2011, 4:21 pm

I speak like I'm talking through a megaphone! Or maybe that loud guy on Dilbert! D:

But seriously, yes, I (apparently) have the same problem. People are endlessly telling me that I am loud! And I just don't hear it! D:<