Did a video game once made you cry?

Page 1 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2011, 11:11 am

I've cried a few time because of video games. Call me a sissy, but I'm emotional! I say Halo: Reach made me cry at the end in the mission Lone Wolf, with the music and Noble Six who die protecting Reach, and also in Fallout 3, the end cinematic (though a lot of people complained about it), with the Capital Wasteland being saved and with James sacrificing the future of mankind to save his only child. And also several times in Mass Effect 1 and 2, mainly Vigil's story of hiding from the Reapers, and the romance scenes, and also learning the background history of several squadmates...

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 May 2011, 11:43 am

Well recently I haven't, but when I was a kid and we only had NES...I remember crying when the games stopped working, or if games got erased. I always played RPGs and I would cry when I finished them. I've grown out of it now though.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:48 am

I haven't, but I was near when I reached the end of Planescape : Torment.

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

Kittendumpling
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 May 2011, 11:54 am

The end of Kingdom Hearts, with Kairi looking at the drawings in the cave, at the end of Final Fantasy 8 (the bit when Laguna proposes to Raine), and in Lost Odyssey, when Lirum dies.

AngelKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:36 pm

Psychopompos wrote:
I haven't, but I was near when I reached the end of Planescape : Torment.

Same. Also anger, remorse, regret, longing. And extra-size heapings of "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wtf is that?!?!?!?!" The Nameless One makes for a great cipher protagonist for fairly obvious reasons.

(For those who are curious: the game's original publisher is basically defunct, but there exists a downloadable games retailler who is authorized to provide the game in the US and several other countries. Google can point you in the right direction.)

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 3:42 pm

No, I haven't. I don't believe I've ever cried during a movie or while reading a book either.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 3:46 pm

I don't think so.

Games have always lagged behind other artforms in creating emotionally evocative content.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 7:42 pm

Kittendumpling wrote:
at the end of Final Fantasy 8 (the bit when Laguna proposes to Raine)

Same for me! Well, not that part, but when Laguna visits Raine's grave, that part made me sad, but I didn't cry.

Moog wrote:
I don't think so.

Games have always lagged behind other artforms in creating emotionally evocative content.

Oh, I wasn't aware you've played every video game made. :roll:

No form of media has ever made me cry though.

Last edited by dunbots on 26 May 2011, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kepheru
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2011, 8:07 pm

I almost cried when I found out the internal battery for my original pokemon red version died :(

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:26 pm

Mass Effect. Mission: "I Remember Me" (the side-mission if your Shepard has the Colonist background - escaped a batarian raid on Mindoir as a child). Especially if you follow the Paragon path, and get all of the girl's responses. And then, after getting her third-person retelling of being captured by batarian slavers at the age of five or six, watching her parents killed and herself and the other new slaves getting control devices implanted without anaesthesia (third-person because "it happened to another girl. A stupid girl, a dirty girl, she deserved it!"), and persuading her to take the sedative voluntarily:

"Will she dream?"

"No dreams. Just sleep. And when you wake up, you'll be in a safe, warm place, where people can help you."

"She'd - I'd like that."

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:43 pm

I installed Empire: Total War (which took a long time) and when I finally loaded the game it was unplayable due to my (then) sh***y video card. I practically felt like crying. But instead I just went out and bought a new video card and the required power supply to go with it

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 3:27 am

dunbots wrote:
Moog wrote:
I don't think so.

Oh, I wasn't aware you've played every video game made. :roll:

No form of media has ever made me cry though.

You can assume I am talking from my experience, and that I don't consider myself omniscient.

Look up English-prime if you've never encountered it dunbots, I suspect you'd like it.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 6:01 am

Vigilans wrote:
I installed Empire: Total War (which took a long time) and when I finally loaded the game it was unplayable due to my (then) sh***y video card. I practically felt like crying. But instead I just went out and bought a new video card and the required power supply to go with it

I've had a similar experience. I bought Battlefield: Bad Company 2 in January, and was pissed when I couldn't get it to work despite trying everything. I tried installing it again in April, and it worked fine. :roll:

Moog wrote:
You can assume I am talking from my experience, and that I don't consider myself omniscient.

Look up English-prime if you've never encountered it dunbots, I suspect you'd like it.

Well, obviously I can't, or else I would have. You can't say all video games are inferior in quality to other forms of video, because not all games are the same. It depends on the game and the person playing it if they're going to cry at anything in it or not.

I don't see what that has to do with anything. It's a stupid and pointless idea anyway.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 7:33 am

The game that comes to mind isLlost Odyssey, I have not actually completed it, but reading the stories in the game was seriously sad. I have seen plenty of sad parts but I have not really beeb pushed to feeling that teary in games much, except for maybe having my fabourite pokemon deleted when I was younger.

Oh there was also that game, Monster Rancher, you raise your monster use it to fight and such, but the monster also has a limited lifespan. It feels rather sad to spent time on raising it and feeling close, and then you have it get wounded or die in the middle of the night in the game, even a funeral is made for your monster.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 7:38 am

dunbots wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

I've had a similar experience. I bought Battlefield: Bad Company 2 in January, and was pissed when I couldn't get it to work despite trying everything. I tried installing it again in April, and it worked fine. :roll:

Moog wrote:

Well, obviously I can't, or else I would have. You can't say all video games are inferior in quality to other forms of video, because not all games are the same. It depends on the game and the person playing it if they're going to cry at anything in it or not.

I don't see what that has to do with anything. It's a stupid and pointless idea anyway.

I didn't say video games are inferior in quality.

Here's what I said:

Quote:
(In my opinion) Games have always lagged behind other artforms in creating emotionally evocative content.

That doesn't mean I find games inferior to other arts, it means I have never been emotionally engaged by a video game in the way I have by music, writing, or film. I consider the many hours I've sunk into certain games well worth it, but never once have I been bought to tears by one.

I don't know why you are so hostile and want to nitpick at me all the time. I don't appreciate it.

If you've got some kind of problem you'd like to discuss, by all means, PM me.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 3:50 pm

No video game has ever made me cry, but Heavy Rain got me ridiculously attatched to the characters. (As did Bioshock 2, in an odd way... I began to really care for Eleanor.)