Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:23 pm

Post your favorite chord, on whatever instrument.

C augmented second inverse
(G# C E)

TheArtOfThrash
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 May 2011, 12:32 pm

I dunno if I have a favorite chord, but I definitely have favorite chord progressions and scales.
For instance, I major to IV minor. Also I major to VII minor where the VII root is based on the minor scale. So for instance, D major to C minor. Both are based on an egyptian-style scale I know.
But as far as a favorite chord, I'd have to say C fully diminished seventh. (C, Eb, Gb, A).

PaleBlueDotty
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 May 2011, 1:34 pm

Ohhh, I wish I paid better attention in music lessons, but our music teacher scared the life out of me and I lost the plot after "mixolydian", 8O.

So this comes from somebody blissfully unawares of the composition of harmonies and chords, bear with my layman description.

Canto de Ossanha/Baden Powell : I love the first chord, perhaps only because it's one of my favourite songs.

and of course the opening chord/harmony to The Beatles "A Hard Day's Night"

and a bit weird, but I used to love to listen in live classical concerts when the orchestra "tuned" up before the start of the performance.

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 6:51 pm

I have no idea what the chords actual name is but I stumbled upon it probably 10 years ago and I've loved it ever since. You just bar the first fret with your pointer finger, ring finger on 3rd fret and pinky on the 5th fret. Then just either strum the top 4 strings or do an arpeggio. Or you can just leave out the 4th string and play the top 3. It can be moved anywhere on the fret board and it always sounds beautiful.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 7:17 pm

Every one-finger power chord on my guitbass. :D

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 9:08 pm

Katatonic wrote:
I have no idea what the chords actual name is but I stumbled upon it probably 10 years ago and I've loved it ever since. You just bar the first fret with your pointer finger, ring finger on 3rd fret and pinky on the 5th fret. Then just either strum the top 4 strings or do an arpeggio. Or you can just leave out the 4th string and play the top 3. It can be moved anywhere on the fret board and it always sounds beautiful.

Which strings on the third and fifth fret? I could probably figure out the chord you're talking about if you give me more info. I believe if you use the second string from top with the fifth fret, then third string from top with the third fret, you get F, D, F, Ab. That would be a "D diminished triad." If you take out the top string it doesn't change much because the third string is doubling the root. If you go ahead and throw in the fifth string from the top, you're playing a C and you get a a very ethereal quality that comes from playing the minor seventh from the D.

I love all the diminished chords because they have that oh-so-pleasing dissonance. Diminished seventh chords are even better.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 9:23 pm

PaleBlueDotty wrote:
and a bit weird, but I used to love to listen in live classical concerts when the orchestra "tuned" up before the start of the performance.
That's not weird at all. You're listening to frequencies that all form perfect integer ratios with each other, which sounds really pleasing to most people. When you hear the string section tune, they're all playing perfect fourths and fifths.

If you actually measure the relationship between the pitch frequencies and compare them, you'll crank out a 4:3 ratio for a perfect fourth, and a perfect fifth is a 3:2 relationship. Two notes that sound "wrong" in relationship to each other will have a root2:1 relationship (augmented fourth), or a (twelfth root 2):1 relationship (minor second). So your brain has a way of perceiving the difference between a perfect integer ratio and an irrational ratio, using nothing but pressure wave frequencies. This is why a string section that is tuning sounds nice to many people.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:15 pm

guitar, F major

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2011, 1:20 pm

B minor on the guitar. It's my go-to chord when I'm tuning, and I always seem to end up pressing my face against my guitar and strumming it, feeling the cool wood, the vibrations, and hearing the buzzing and humming of the strings, and the chord itself.

Bliss!

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 2:24 pm

D minor - guitar

A7 - guitar

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 3:45 pm

I kinda like minor sevenths

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 10:59 pm

Hmm...not sure what it's called, but a sample would be...a fourth, fifth, and octave. Keith Emerson used it a lot...;) Actually Octaves I tend to like, but intervals are nice as well....

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 4:07 am

I quite like the F major 7th/augmented 9th in this voicing:

I also like half-diminished 7ths:

And minor chords with a major 7th:

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 6:35 am

Fsus9 obviously...

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 10:36 am

TheArtOfThrash wrote:
I dunno if I have a favorite chord, but I definitely have favorite chord progressions and scales.
For instance, I major to IV minor.

One of my favorite progressions is IV-iv. I also like sus chords where the sus resolves to the 3rd in the chord, such as Asus4-A.

Modal interchange chords are cool, particularly a bVII in a major key; very cool effect.

As far as specific chords, there are a few I like quite a bit. 9th chords, 13th chords, Maj7, min7, Aug (particularly in the dominant role). I also like octaves with the 5th added. These are all on guitar, btw.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 10:50 am

PaleBlueDotty wrote:
and of course the opening chord/harmony to The Beatles "A Hard Day's Night"

G7sus