Page 7 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

pinkfan
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Mar 2009, 9:02 pm

I am a mom diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. I have seven kids. Four are my biological children and three were adopted. Of my four biological children, three have autism spectrum disorders. I did not know that I had AS when I had all of my children. I was only diagnosed this year when we had multiple children diagnosed. I absolutely adore all of my children, but it makes me sad that they inherited this from me and have such a hard time with a lot of things. However, they are the best, most wonderful kids! Would I have had so many children if I had known I had AS? No I don't think so, but I can honestly say that I can't imagine NOT having any of my children. I adore them! The hardest part of parenting that I find (due to AS) is that I have to be involved with so many professionals due to the special needs of my children. Early intervention people come to the house and that is tough for me. I also don't invite my children's friends over as often as a lot of people do. I do invite them and do the sleepovers, but it isn't my favorite part of parenting. Thank goodness with seven of them they entertain each other. I am lucky to have a wonderful husband!

millie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 9:09 pm

^wow pinkfan. 7.
I am one of 8 children and i am fairly certain my mum is undx'ed AS. it was very tough.
i admire you strength.
:)

pinkfan
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Mar 2009, 9:26 pm

millie wrote:
^wow pinkfan. 7.
I am one of 8 children and i am fairly certain my mum is undx'ed AS. it was very tough.
i admire you strength.
:)

Thanks...I also believe that my mom was (she is now deceased) an undiagnosed AS. I am much more functional than she was (I went to college and had a job before children). She had six children and we pretty much took care of her.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 10:45 pm

^ yes. i have only one child - i got scared off any more by my childhood experiences!

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 1:34 pm

I'm so scared I'm going to screw up my son, or that his father is going to, because he has a more conventional view on discipline and forcing "things that are good for him" on him.My views on discipline and the like are... different, unconventional. Some people would call me insane. When my mother used a strict/impatient/angry tone of voice with me, it damaged me and to this day I'm damaged by it. I don't ever want to use a strict/angry/impatient tone of voice with my child. I should show his father this post. Also, for example, he trusts so-called professionals to tell him what is good for him and his child more than he trusts his and his child's intuition. When someone craves a type of food, it's because they need it, but he ignores his cravings and would force his child to eat what he found revolting and ignore his cravings. For example, he says the doctor told him to introduce vegetables to him and not introduce fruit to him until later for some reason, because then he wouldn't want vegetables any more. But what if he needed the fruit? How do you know if he needs it or not if you don't introduce it to him? And eventually he would probably get sick of the fruit anyway and want the vegetables.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2009, 3:17 pm

Ana54 wrote:
I'm so scared I'm going to screw up my son, or that his father is going to, because he has a more conventional view on discipline and forcing "things that are good for him" on him.My views on discipline and the like are... different, unconventional. Some people would call me insane. When my mother used a strict/impatient/angry tone of voice with me, it damaged me and to this day I'm damaged by it. I don't ever want to use a strict/angry/impatient tone of voice with my child. I should show his father this post. Also, for example, he trusts so-called professionals to tell him what is good for him and his child more than he trusts his and his child's intuition. When someone craves a type of food, it's because they need it, but he ignores his cravings and would force his child to eat what he found revolting and ignore his cravings. For example, he says the doctor told him to introduce vegetables to him and not introduce fruit to him until later for some reason, because then he wouldn't want vegetables any more. But what if he needed the fruit? How do you know if he needs it or not if you don't introduce it to him? And eventually he would probably get sick of the fruit anyway and want the vegetables.

I don't know, I craved fat. Not avocados and olive oil,good fats. I craved the worst pork fat, bacon,ham hocks, beef fat juicy burgers slathered with mayonnaise and double melted cheese, the buns greasy over the top of them branding the brown paper wrappers. I ate a pound of blue cheese just reading or on the computer, I devoured deep fried french fries and onion rings dipped into barbecue sauce and mayo and more. I certainly isn't all that good for me and I never tired of it. I packed on the pounds and packed on some more and when I was over 300 lbs and couldn't sleep at night because my breathing was choked and when I could not get my body to move as I was just too heavy to budge, I had to make a decision.
I wanted to die of it, Ana54, but I didn't die.

And I didn't lose the craving.

I had to intellectually make myself stop.

So, sometimes self discipline is necessary and if we don't know how to impose SELF discipline when we are children, when do we learn?

Merle

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2009, 3:00 pm

Hmmm, maybe, but maybe not. That isn't always the case.

Also, it isn't kinder not to introduce fruit to the baby so that he will still want vegetables. The baby is bored eating vegetables whether or not fruit is introduced and will have had happiness when the fruit was introduced even though they cried when not allowed fruit, and having happiness and knowing you can cry for more is better than having no happiness. The crying baby who ants fruit is happier than the baby who never got introduced to fruit, because the crying one knows better, knows of the happiness he had and can have.