Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

yamato_rena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 May 2011, 12:08 pm

I've got a networking coffee event with someone who may be able to help me find a job! Yay! Here's the problem - I gag on coffee and tea. I don't know what to order. When I asked my parents, my mom was uncertain, and my dad snarked "Just don't order a shirley temple (I get that sometimes during family meals)." :roll: Normally, I get steamers (steamed milk and sugar) when I go to a place like Starbucks, but will that seem weird?

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 12:16 pm

yamato_rena wrote:
Normally, I get steamers (steamed milk and sugar) when I go to a place like Starbucks, but will that seem weird?

Sounds delicious, but yeah ... a little weird. This event probably won't be set up to cater to anything but mainstream tastes. There has got to be water there, right? Why not that? And if anyone asks, just tell them caffeine doesn't agree with you. Good luck finding a job! Yay you! :D

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2011, 12:31 pm

You might try a sparkling water... seems exotic and can be easy to drink.

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2011, 1:12 pm

I don't know what a "coffee event" is, but if that is a few people mingling and talking about opportunities, with tea and coffee on offer, there is no offense going to be caused by not drinking tea or coffee.

Are there any herbal or fruit teas you like the taste of? Often there will be a fruit tea, and something like peppermint or chamomile offered.

Lots of people don't drink tea or coffee. If you're pressed on the matter, just be honest and polite and say you don't like tea or coffee, but you do like *insert drink here*, which gives the person asking the opportunity to be nice to you and get you something you do like.

There is research to show if someone does you something they perceive as a small favour, they will be more likely to view you well afterward!

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 1:32 pm

I've yet to see a coffee shop that doesn't also sell Odwalla or Naked juice, it costs about the same as a cup of coffee in most places and makes it look like you care about your health, so it isn't a bad alternative.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 1:44 pm

How about hot chocolate?