Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 4:20 am

Even though I like a wide range of music. I found a Drum N Bass artist called "Aquasky" and his debut album "Bodyshock". And have found a great liking to this Drum N Bass. It's the kind of music where its simple medium to fast tempo beats repeating over and over for about 7 minutes. This kind I like is pure intrumental with no words. Anyone else like Drum N Bass? Like I said, I like the kind with no rapping or any kind of lyrics in it. Just plain Drum N Bass.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 8:13 am

I like it too. Another member here Techstepgenr8tion introduced me to it (he's even produced some tracks of his own). I don't know a whole lot about specific artists etc - for the most part he recommends stuff to me when he finds something good. He'd be the one for you to talk to, I'm sure he'll be posting in this thread soon... there are probably others around here too.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 9:51 am

Aquasky's decent, I've heard a few tracks from them here and there. My favorites tend to either be the kind of stuff that's on the Metalheadz compilations, the older jazzy style stuff like on V Records, and when it does come to techstep I love the stuff that's just got the illest swung out basslines I can find but then again I like an edge of dark funk, something intelligent and more jazz/soul influenced because that goofy headbanging edge that some of the newer dark jungle has is the same thing that got me away from a lot of metal in the first place.

I tend to agree with you on the rapping but probably for a different reason, there've been a lot of tracks with MC Jakes trying to rap along into them and they're just lame - I'm not feeling em. On the other hand I won't hate an MC flowing over a dj set on one real strict condition: that they're actually any good. The MC's who really haven't let me down much yet are Armanni Reign, Skibadee, and Eksman.

That said though, I think with your tastes being what they are I'd have to recommend Metalheadz Winter of Content, partly because it's probably one of the best they've had since they started with Platinum Breakz I and the other thing I notice is Aquasky manages a bit of all edges where they'll go atmospheric, flip into something dark, etc - as does Metalheadz and in some real creative ways.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 10:29 am

Thanks techstepgenr8tion. I'll check out those artists.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 2:15 pm

Your welcome. Another guy who's producing you may want to look into a bit is Tactile, I don't think he has anything on the Metalheadz compilations but by the next time they're ready for another compilation I'm sure they'll have already hollered at him for a track or two.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 10:23 am

How about Aphex Twin, Squarepusher or Gescom?

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 10:36 am

Cool. I'll check them out as well computerlove.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 11:18 am

check youtube.com for some videos of Aphex Twin (specially Come to Daddy),

WARNING: this video is "a little bit" disturbing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_clxHxqNI

and

Squarepusher's Come on my selector

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEb2FrQ ... ed&search=
if the link doesn't work, look for the long version :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 9:53 am

Lol, also if you like some stuff that's on the darker edge theres a couple things you could look into as well. Trace has a cd called Torque which is about 12 or 13 tracks by the whole No-U-Turn crew back in 1997 (Trace, Nico, Ed Rush, Fierce, Boymerang, Optical may be on there as well but I'm not sure). Another couple of producers who drop some really sick tunes back in the day are Source Direct. If your looking for Source Direct on Limewire or Soulseek look for tracks like The Place, Stone Killer, Yo B----, and anything off Controlled Developements like Computer State, Black Domini, Capital D, etc.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 6:34 pm

Alternative wrote:
Even though I like a wide range of music. I found a Drum N Bass artist called "Aquasky" and his debut album "Bodyshock". And have found a great liking to this Drum N Bass. It's the kind of music where its simple medium to fast tempo beats repeating over and over for about 7 minutes. This kind I like is pure intrumental with no words. Anyone else like Drum N Bass? Like I said, I like the kind with no rapping or any kind of lyrics in it. Just plain Drum N Bass.

I've only recently heard of D+B and a few tracks and it sounds cool, especially the fast ones, i usually listen to stuff like hardhouse/hard trance n hardcore but beggining to like abit of D+B.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2006, 8:53 pm

I love "About that Time" by ILS - there was a Fuel Records sample album which had a better version than the original album cut. It's quite slow by recent D'n'B standards, though!

Have you tried any rave? Altern8 - Activ8 (hardcore holocaust mix) is my recommendation.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 12:48 am

computerlove wrote:
check youtube.com for some videos of Aphex Twin (specially Come to Daddy),

WARNING: this video is "a little bit" disturbing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_clxHxqNI

and

Squarepusher's Come on my selector

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEb2FrQ ... ed&search=
if the link doesn't work, look for the long version :)

If you like stuff like Come to Daddy you might also like some of Technical Itch's newer stuff. Two tracks kinda come to mind on that, Dark Hearts and Life of sin - both are tracks he did with MC Jakes (though its not regular MCing, he had something kinda like the Darth Vader vox but even more grimed out on Life of Sin). Also Cracking Core by Limewax and Suicide by Evol Intent are also pretty illed out like that (its dark jungle, all the usual sounds, but you definitely hear a lot of deathmetal influence in the application of it).

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2006, 12:54 am

I still say though, with the dark stuff I prefer the eerie & mysterious stuff, thats what tends to get me going more. Arabian Nights by J Majik, Symphonic by Dj SS, Where's Jack the Ripper by Grooverider, No Reality by RAM Trilogy, Sonar by Trace, Secrets by John B, and Revelations (fronted on Soulseek and LImewire as 'Lightyears' usually) by Dillinja are all pretty sick in that direction. 1997-1999 had the best 'make you think' dark just because rather than having the sorts of metalish influences a lot of the newer producers have right now the roots of the sound were still very reticent, very eerie, and more rooted if anything in darkside jazz/funk.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 5:33 am

sociable_hermit wrote:
Have you tried any rave? Altern8 - Activ8 (hardcore holocaust mix) is my recommendation.

I've tried The Prodigy when they started of as rave in their album "Experience". That album's excellent. I'll check those out as I wish to discover more of rave music. Underworld's Born Slippy NUXX is another good rave track although they are electronic.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2006, 11:08 pm

thanks techstepgenr8tion, I'll check them out!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 2:20 am

Oh, one more thing. If your looking for whats hot right now as far as the best sounds and you want full length dj sets, the 3 best guys out there to look into are Loxy, Ink, and Spirit. Skitty has also been really throwing down some top mixes as well lately that are along this line. Of course with these guys you kinda have to be down to tune out an MC if your not into that, they throw down a lot of really good eerie make-you-think raggae techstep style that Renegade Hardware has been pushing these days - even with the MCing it tends to be just periodic, not all the way through.

Here's a recent Skitty set I just picked up tonight off the D&B Arena forums, some really twisted and innovative tracks (especially toward the middle and end) but I definitely think I'll be trimming the intro:

Skitty - Live on Kindafunkyradio.com August 06
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M8RT8FD3