Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 7:21 am

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhe ... t-yourself

I got this link from a Facebook page I subscribe to called Jenny McCarthy's body count.....I just wish parents who still believe that the MMR causes Autism think about what they are doing before they deny their children vaccines. Autism does not kill children!! !

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 1:24 am

The fall out from the vaccine scares has been terrible in our area. But Jenny didn't start it ... she just put a celebrity face on a pre-existing phenomena. People are amazingly selfish, totally willing to lose herd immunity for what they believe is the sake of their child, without understanding that the biggest victims are those who truly cannot get vaccinated, like infants.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 3:26 am

I agree she didnt start it but she did make it more wide spread, she gave it the almighty celebrity voice. Then once the truth came out and once children started dying of vaccine preventable disease she turned tail and hid. Now she is the weight watchers advocate instead! I just think people in the media should give a bit more thought to what they are doing before they go crazy....a lot of people will listen to celebrities before they will listen to scientists or doctors. She did make a huge deal out of this and I think she, and a few others, should be held responsible for it. I dont make the rules but I can make my voice heard. I understand she wanted to help her child but I really think she got caught up in the attention and went way over her head.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 10:53 am

I have anti vaccine friends and it scares the bejeezus out of me. Somehow, in their circle, the concept of 'herd immunity' is repulsive. If someone from another country can bring the illness in then herd immunity means nothing... I do not get it. That doesn't even make sense.

JennyB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2011, 10:07 am

Words can't express how angry I am at that so-called fraud Andrew Wakefield. There is a large group of Somali immigrants here in Minneapolis who aren't vaccinating their kids because of him - and he actually had the nerve to come here in March to speak to them, after he was outed as a fraud! Guess what? There is a measles epidemic running through their community!

Ironically, I am a visiting home nurse. Parents ask me about vaccines all the time - and the fact that I have an autistic child and still adamantly encourage vaccines seems to give my opinion more credibility.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 11:00 am

JennyB wrote:
Words can't express how angry I am at that so-called fraud Andrew Wakefield. There is a large group of Somali immigrants here in Minneapolis who aren't vaccinating their kids because of him - and he actually had the nerve to come here in March to speak to them, after he was outed as a fraud! Guess what? There is a measles epidemic running through their community!

Ironically, I am a visiting home nurse. Parents ask me about vaccines all the time - and the fact that I have an autistic child and still adamantly encourage vaccines seems to give my opinion more credibility.

Good for you JennyB! It's very hard to undo the damage done by Wakefield and furthered by McCarthy and her ilk but good healthcare providers like you who people trust can combat it one patient at a time. Thanks!