I do not trust or believe in Science. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other: ______________________________ (Please Elaborate). 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
On Planet-X, everything is supernatural. 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 28

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 10:51 pm

A Slider as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliders ??

Had notg heard of it; looks like an upgraded Time Tunnel [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Tunnel ].

Are you Slider thus or some other wise in cold fact or in sensation? If the former, assuming it is not classified, how?

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 11:26 pm

Philologos wrote:

Had notg heard of it; looks like an upgraded Time Tunnel [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Tunnel ].

Are you Slider thus or some other wise in cold fact or in sensation? If the former, assuming it is not classified, how?

Slider as in Street Light Interference (SLI) phenomenon.

Largely mocked, which I can understand.
It's described as a person who can cause interference with lights, but generally it includes all electrical equipment.
In my case; lights, car alarms, CD players, video players, kettles, microwaves, alarm clocks, watches, TV's especially.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 11:48 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
Philologos wrote:

It's described as a person who can cause interference with lights, but generally it includes all electrical equipment.
In my case; lights, car alarms, CD players, video players, kettles, microwaves, alarm clocks, watches, TV's especially.

How does one do that?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 4:28 am

Here is what Noah had once said:

Quote:
Supernatural, a. [super and natural.] (Webster, 1869)

Being beyond or exceeding the powers or laws of nature; miraculous.

A supernatural event is one which is not produced according to the ordinary or established laws of natural things.
Thus if iron has more specific gravity than water, it will sink in that fluid; and the floating of iron on water must be a supernatural event.
Now no human being can alter a law of nature; the floating of iron on water therefore must be caused by divine power specially exerted to suspend, in this instance, a law of nature.
Hence supernatural events or miracles can be produced only by the immediate agency of divine power."

So then, "supernatural" = "the immediate agency of divine power specially exerted" ...

...and in my own case, I believe that because I have experienced it.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:08 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Bloodheart wrote:
Philologos wrote:

How does one do that?

One doesn't...one looks confused as electronics start acting odd...is late because alarm clocks keep malfunctioning, stands back as yet another TV explodes....yet another video player starts firing tapes at ones head...etc. It's no where near as bad as it used to be.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 2:38 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Bloodheart wrote:
Philologos wrote:

How does one do that?

One doesn't...one looks confused as electronics start acting odd...is late because alarm clocks keep malfunctioning, stands back as yet another TV explodes....yet another video player starts firing tapes at ones head...etc. It's no where near as bad as it used to be.

"Fascinating," as Spock would say.
I used to think machines hated me, because I had such a hell of a time working with them. Now, I think it has more to do with the clumsiness that accompanies my Asperger's.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 3:23 pm

leejosepho wrote:
Here is what Noah had once said:

Quote:
Supernatural, a. [super and natural.] (Webster, 1869)

Being beyond or exceeding the powers or laws of nature; miraculous.

A supernatural event is one which is not produced according to the ordinary or established laws of natural things.
Thus if iron has more specific gravity than water, it will sink in that fluid; and the floating of iron on water must be a supernatural event.
Now no human being can alter a law of nature; the floating of iron on water therefore must be caused by divine power specially exerted to suspend, in this instance, a law of nature.
Hence supernatural events or miracles can be produced only by the immediate agency of divine power."

So then, "supernatural" = "the immediate agency of divine power specially exerted" ...

...and in my own case, I believe that because I have experienced it.

A dozen people have asked you how you are able to psychologically discern that for any experience in your life, X, the only explanation was god dun did it.

You've yet to explain the process.

to his Interest."

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 4:44 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
A dozen people have asked you how you are able to psychologically discern ...

What do you mean by "psychologically discern" :roll:, and who has asked any such thing where?

ValentineWiggin wrote:
... the only explanation was god dun did it.

My recovery did not come from myself or from any other human being, and I had been told "God could and would" ... and yes, I am now quite convinced.

ValentineWiggin wrote:
You've yet to explain the process.

You have yet to ask.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 6:34 pm

Fnord wrote:
WHY exactly do you believe in it?

This is a bit like asking or including the question: why do you believe in god, doesn't it? I mean, is still supernatural and is still about believing in something, in any case, the reasons why people believe in something is because of subjective reasons and the way the interpret reality, subjectively.

If I were a believer, it'll be because believing in something gives me hope and comfort, is that such a bad thing? I'd say not necessarily, yeah, I am of an empiricist mindset, but sometimes I would tend to envy people who believe in something.

This is one thing, concluding that something is supernatural because of lack of explanation of the phenomena is another thing, which people connect with the latter.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 11:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
I am trying to understand the reasoning behind people's belief in the Supernatural; and by the use of the word "Supernatural", I mean:

Quote:
(1): Of or relating to an order of existence beyond the visible observable universe; especially of, or relating to God or a god, demigod, spirit, or devil.

(2a): Departing from what is usual or normal, especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature; (2b): attributed to an invisible agent (as a ghost or spirit).

(Source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary entry on "Supernatural".)

So, assuming that you believe that such a realm exists so as to fit all of these definitions, WHY exactly do you believe in it?

Your poll questions were excellent. They're pretty much all the reasons why people do/don't believe in the supernatural. Well, not the last two, but ya know.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 12:05 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Your poll questions were excellent. They're pretty much all the reasons why people do/don't believe in the supernatural. Well, not the last two, but ya know.

Thank you.

As for options 2 through 9, look up "Fallacies of Reason" sometime.

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.