Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 6:22 pm

I went to one for the first time last September in Dallas. I was very excited to go, but during the whole thing I found myself being bored. It was probably because of the huge crowds that made it difficult for me to move around much.

However, I might consider going to another one. I have this new goal to get my picture taken with a drag queen, something I didn't even think of doing during the first one I went to. :)

Have any of you ever been to one? If so, what do you think of them?

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 6:33 pm

It was too hot and too crowded. There were long lineups to use the filthy porta-potties. People kept congratulating my boyfriend, who was carrying our baby on his back, for "winning custody" of the baby because they assumed he was a gay dad. It was not the most enjoyable experience for me.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 6:39 pm

Yes, and it was awesome. In Chicago the whole city goes to the parade, even if you're straight. However it was loud and I felt so mentally drained that I couldn't even find the concentration to read a book, which is really unusual for me.

Aerith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 May 2011, 11:48 pm

I've both marched in one and stood on the sidelines previously.

Both experiences were incredibly boring, with the marching being only marginally more interesting as there one got to see and be part of the organization of the event. Other than that, too much noise and revelry.

The only way I'd ever go again is if I will be in extremely good company for the duration of the parade. Or, possibly, if I can get drugs to take during it. That'd relieve some of the boredom.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 12:30 am

Aerith wrote:

That's interesting. What organization were you marching on behalf of?

Aerith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 May 2011, 1:12 am

Descartes wrote:
Aerith wrote:

That's interesting. What organization were you marching on behalf of?
My university's LGBT club. Sadly, we only had...about...8ish people marching together. We had about as many people from the club as spectators, as they didn't want to bother with the annoyance of showing up early to march. Still, it felt more personally important that way.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 1:17 am

i haven't been in one or seen one, but next year i might go. my daughter was on a float in support of her LGBT friends last year, which was cool.

our city has a tiny parade with a small audience. :(

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 5:07 am

no but i have been to equal marriage rights rallys. i had the chance to go to sydney mardi gras this year but my mum wanted me to take my cousin to whom im in the closet to mardi gras but hes a homophobe and i didnt really want to go to a pride event in the closet. maybe next year i'll go. apparently the youth group i go to marches in it so if im feeling daring maybe i'll go with them.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 3:22 pm

No, I get too anxious being in crowds.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 8:38 pm

I volunteered for the Phx. gay pride festival in April.