Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 3:07 am

http://www.slate.com/id/2151538/

I mean, it seems like they study EVERYTHING and come up with the worst ideas about autism causes... this is one of those ridiculous ones. I mean if anything, TV helps autistic kids... at least some. I mean you would think it would.

Anyway, what is your take on this?

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 4:10 am

vaccines :)

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 4:32 am

iheartmegahitt wrote:

I mean, it seems like they study EVERYTHING and come up with the worst ideas about autism causes... this is one of those ridiculous ones. I mean if anything, TV helps autistic kids... at least some. I mean you would think it would.

completely ludicrous, but easily debunked:

start a topic asking if anyone was raised without a television. i'm sure you will get some responses.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 6:16 am

I agree. But I think that if this becomes a meme then even though it's ludicrous, it might do some good. Other quack autism preventions or treatments require children to give up things that are good for them like vaccines, whole wheat bread (GFCF diet) and free time (ABA). If this idea catches on, perhaps parents will actually follow the advice of pediatricians (whic is utterly unrelated to autism until now) and not let their babies and toddlers watch television, or at least not very much. I'm sure the makers of toddler TV shows will be diligent about debunking this. But if this silly faux correlation gains any attention, it might accidentally do some good.

Hermid
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2011, 3:47 pm

Anything but genetics causes Autism.

They had a good discussion about Autism and debunked the Vaccine myth on a TV show called The Agenda on TVO(Television Ontario) but noone watches TVO, However they did have an episode on Penn and Teller's:BS about Vaccine myths

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 3:29 am

Maybe brocolli causes autism... after all didn't it cause cancer about three years ago? (Which was later discovered to be BS)

MyWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2011, 3:51 am

iheartmegahitt wrote:

I wonder how many parents with autistic kids would be p***** if they read the article. After all, they want to blame someone or something for their child's autism. I am not impying that TV causes autism, but the person who wrote the article does not know anything about how to conduct research. Correlation does not cause causation. People say that there is global warming occuring. How come no one is blaming global warming for increase for autism?(sarcasm)

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 10:03 am

I corrected this article for y'all. now its just funny not slightly bigoted and mean.
http://autism-supremacy.webs.com/apps/b ... television

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 11:33 am

cheeseburgers (heart disease, obesity, hypertension, but not autism)
purple skinned grapes ( godo for you as is or fermented - winwin - and no autism!)
sushi (ooops, wait, mercury in tuna... scratch that)
soda (food dyes, HFC syrup and caffiene may make symptoms worse - but it doesn't cause it!)

Sex (sex absolutely DOES cause autism! thank you sperm and/or egg...)

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2011, 11:50 am