Do you have relationships with NT's?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2011, 10:04 am

Do they know?If they know do they accept you?

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2011, 10:16 am

Never had a relationship with anyone other than NT, if by NT, you mean non-autistic.

Got to admit, I have often felt like a favored pet (animal companion if you will) in these relationships... more than an equal partner.

Not always.

And I myself don't know -- didn't even suspect until a couple years ago -- so, no, they don't/didn't know. The guy I'm with now does know about a lot of my little "quirks" (since we have spent a lot of time together, it would be hard for him not to have noticed) but doesn't care where they come from.

wxcwman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2011, 1:29 pm

I am currently in a relationship with a NT. She does know, tho i was really reluctant to tell her. She accepts me for who I am in every way, my quirks, my challenges, all of it. She sees my struggles every day in different ways and helps me through them, and I do my best to do the same for her tho that doesn't come as easily as it would to most. She understands this and accepts it without question or ridicule, and I know this because she is writing this :) This messages is approved and funded by NT coallition of dating aspies :)

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 1:41 pm

My boyfriend is NT - totally accepting and understanding of it...probably more than I realise given as he seems to spot AS traits in me that I don't...although granted he still doesn't quite get my defensiveness or need for privacy, my sleeping problems, or my phone phobia.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

hadrian_f
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 May 2011, 3:29 pm

I did not know there were more people with Phone Phobia, people always think I'm over-reacting when I really, REALLY don't want to call. Which give me some problems in my earlier line of occupation.

Anyway, on topic: Most of my friends don't officially have a diagnosis (although I think there are only 2 or 3 of them who don't have autism, which is probably the reason we hang out a lot). The relations I had were all with NTs, and because they were so short I now really would like a girlfriend with AS because they can understand me a lot better. So, all in all, I do have some NT-friends and some history with NTs, but I definitely fare better amongst fellow aspies.