Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2011, 10:06 pm

Jonsi wrote:
I've seen a twenty string bass. Twenty! That's a full grand piano in guitar form! I'd love to have one if I could though. I'm a sucker extra range.

I favour 5 string myself. I only have 5 string basses now. I had to get rid of most of my equipment when I left the UK, three years ago. That extra bottom B can be a great asset with no disadvantage. I find the extra 6th string of little use and often in the way. Having to reach over it throughout a long gig can be very tiring. I tend to not swap basses during a gig.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 2:29 pm

I just use an old japanese ibanez for everything. I'm best on four strings, as much as I like five, six or seven. It helps that the ibanez has twenty four frets too. I swear I will never buy a bass that has any less than twenty four. My acoustic only has twenty two though. The thing sounds amazing, so it is an exception.

I have been missing my high C and low F though. v_v

TheInfamousArgyle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2011, 11:22 pm

As little as I know about music-making... You guys are important. I pay a lot of attention to bass.

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2011, 3:03 am

Jonsi wrote:
I just use an old japanese ibanez for everything. I'm best on four strings, as much as I like five, six or seven. It helps that the ibanez has twenty four frets too. I swear I will never buy a bass that has any less than twenty four. My acoustic only has twenty two though. The thing sounds amazing, so it is an exception.

Here's a photo of my current workhorse, complete with five strings and 24 frets. It is a home made effort. I don't make them any more. I get too obsessed.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 1:03 pm

BassMan_720 wrote:
Jonsi wrote:
I just use an old japanese ibanez for everything. I'm best on four strings, as much as I like five, six or sev It helps that the ibanez has twenty four frets too. I swear I will never buy a bass that has any less than twenty four. My acoustic only has twenty two though. The thing sounds amazing, so it is an exception.

Here's a photo of my current workhorse, complete with five strings and 24 frets. It is a home made effort. I don't make them any more. I get too obsessed.

Man I always love a wood finish. I try to stay away from coloured finishes, a bass needs a little wood showing through to look good to me!

My ibanez, however, is my only exception. I don't mind the yellowed white finish. :D

spacebrain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2011, 2:07 am

Oh hell, I just feel pity for people who are missing out on the awesome bass action, their loss.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 9:17 pm

Used to have an old Gibson EB3 with a pickup that picked up all the sub frequencies. I shook loose a lot of @#$% from people...I think they knew I was there. Still have a 5-string, but I'm mainly a keyboard player.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 8:15 pm

Gibson makes some of the best basses. Far better than Fender.

/Gibson fanboy.

Zitanier
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

I play a bass guitar too. But everybody tells me the opposite. They tell me how important it is, how underrated it is, how much they like it when it plays a solo etc.

I am not very amused by the bass. I just chose it because i thought that everybody plays a guitar but very few a bass and because i thought that it would be easier than the guitar. Now I have learned that a bass and a guitar can be equally easy.

Sperry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2012, 3:51 am

Hey all WP bass players, I would like to start playing bass. I would like to buy a bass guitar but do not know which brand and type is good, not the best but don't like to spend money for crap. So 700 € is the budget I would like to spend. Any suggestion

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

Sperry wrote:
Hey all WP bass players, I would like to start playing bass. I would like to buy a bass guitar but do not know which brand and type is good, not the best but don't like to spend money for crap. So 700 € is the budget I would like to spend. Any suggestion

What genre do you play and how much range would you want?

I personally favor 5 strings (though my current bass is a 6 string when I was interested in the extra high range; only good for popped chords to me) but 4 strings might be a good starting point to see if you're interested.

Best bass I've ever played was a Schecter (yes, better than a Musicman fellow bassists!) Hellraiser 5 Diamond Series and it was a 5 string. However, a Fender jazz bass might work better for you. Can find a Fender Jazz Bass for about 250 pounds and a Schecter Hellraiser for 400 pounds.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist