summer jobs that don't require lots of interaction?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

kepheru
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2011, 8:47 pm

I'm looking to get a job, but it seems the only jobs I can get with a high school education (although I just finished my first year of college and will be going back in the fall) are ones which require me to be constantly talking to or be around people. I got no responses for my applications to those jobs anyway, but I really want to go look for something again, but this time I'd like to have a better idea of what to look for. Any suggestions are very much appreciated :P

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:00 pm

I'd say take advantage of the summer and use it to practice interacting. It's good to step outside of your comfort zone even if you abhor socializing. I know where you're coming from; because I don't get along well with people either, but now that I'm a bit more "skilled," I find life much easier to navigate.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:11 pm

Janitorial
Housekeeping
Mowing lawns
Garbage truck person

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2011, 9:11 pm

Food preparation or washing dishes at a restaurant doesn't really require much social interaction. Plus you don't need a college degree to do those. Although you have to be 18+ to do food prep.

ViewUpHere
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2011, 10:45 pm

One of my favorite jobs of all times: shelving books at a library. It's quiet, it's pleasant, and at the end of the day you can look around the stacks and get real satisfaction for a job well-done.

kepheru
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2011, 6:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Quote:
I'd say take advantage of the summer and use it to practice interacting. It's good to step outside of your comfort zone even if you abhor socializing.

If I can't find a job where I can be in solitude most of the time I would do that, though I am a bit worried that if I get a job like that I'd get fired for not being able to talk to people the "right" way.

Now I have to encourage myself to go and talk to someone in person to apply...

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 7:22 am

Work in a library, or intern for a lab somewhere! You could also be an apprentice/intern for an artist or designer in their studio.

I actually lucked out with my job. I was a camp counselor for a few years, which was fun but exhausting. It did, however, lead to me doing double-duty as a costume designer. I basically got the whole day to work on costumes for the camp musicals in a quiet room, save for a few art classes I taught. Perfect.

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2011, 5:44 pm

Being a fire watcher for the Forest Service can be a very solitary job. Often it is you and maybe one other person taking shifts watching for fires in national forests while sitting in a tower. You can try contacting your regional office and seeing what is available: Forest Service Regional Office Map

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 9:05 am

Shelving in a supermarket can be such a job.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!