Is it abnormal to have friends a lot younger than you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

rendellsibal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2015, 10:43 pm

OK i am 21 years old but i have many friends one of them is 5 years old, some of them 3 years old, 7 years old, 12 years old, etc....
Like my neighbourhood that[img]file:///C:/Users/Ren/Documents/Lucas/10906386_10202315156919909_2877412278073939062_n.jpg[/img]
its only 2

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 5:26 pm

I have had it both ways. I have had friends who are younger than I am and I have been the younger friend as well. I usually connect with people where there is a great age gap between us.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 10:08 pm

It looks like we've all experienced this to some extent.

What I would like to really know and talk about is the underlying reason as to WHY this is so.

But, yes, I am much better at making friends older or younger than myself.

I use to have two friends before I moved to a different city - one was an 8th grade boy who was 13, the other was his older brother who graduated the year before and who was also my friend.

A 15 year old 11th grade guy, friends with an 8th grade 13 year old and his 18 year old brother...

We were all good friends and I was happy with my friendships with them but that doesn't mean socially it looked like an odd match.

I think we all have our own reasons, but this is mine:

I hate to sound arrogant, but I've always felt a little more mature for my age. This is what helped me get along with older people a lot better.

People younger than me, I like to feel like the wiser/maturer one who can offer guidance. Most people I am friends with who are younger are a bit mature for their age anyway i think...

I'm in 12th grade now and only just starting to notice that everyone else is beginning to catch-up to me.

For the first time in my high school years everyone else my grade has finally caught up to the same maturity level as me - and at the same time I am near the same social skill level as them...

I was behind in social skills, they were behind in maturity. It's balancing out now.

Last year in 11th grade I was so tired of all the pointless behavior my peers had - so I was friends with an 18 year old and his extremely mature 12 year old brother...

What reasons does everyone else HERE have?

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Mar 2015, 1:46 am

Not at all. I have friends who are still in high school, and one of my best friends is 3 years younger than me. :roll:
When it comes to friends, personally for me, age doesn't really matter. It's mainly about personality and how that person is overall on the inside.

devochka
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2015, 5:32 pm

I read somewhere that Aspie women tend to have either friends who are a lot younger or a lot older. The older ones sort of act as a guide in life. The younger ones are there, I think, because there is a tendency for Aspies to act younger than their age. I have learned to think that there is nothing wrong with any of these choices. Whatever makes you happy is what makes you happy.