Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 11:22 am

I volunteer at a local city zoo since I am trying to locate a job and make networks. However, since I do not drive, I rely on the bus and city train. On the connecting bus from the train station which takes me directly to the zoo, there are normally a set of employees who work in food services. I have tried to reach out to them because I thought we could all relate to one another because we all ride the bus. When saying hello, however, I noticed that immidiately got the cold shoulder from them. (I.E. I sat at the bus stop this morning next to one of the employees and said hi, and he said hi back and then decided to walk away until the bus came.) However, I do notice that they seem to talk amongst each other and not branch out of their comfort zones. Finally, I often get off the bus at one stop and then they get off at another stop all together.

I was wondering if this is a common NT interaction among people who work together or is it just cold and unfriendly?

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 12:53 pm

They don't see you as part of their group, and it's better not to force it. They're obviously not interested in talking and NTs love to alienate people because it makes them feel like they're part of an exclusive pack. If you're looking for employment, try talking to someone when you're actually at the zoo.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 May 2011, 1:02 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
They don't see you as part of their group, and it's better not to force it. They're obviously not interested in talking and NTs love to alienate people because it makes them feel like they're part of an exclusive pack. If you're looking for employment, try talking to someone when you're actually at the zoo.

They are also probably excluding you because you volunteer and they are paid employees. Any ol' excuse will do just to have the pleasure of excluding you. :roll: Maybe they also assume you are wealthy and don't have to work. I have heard of that happening.

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 1:44 pm

I am not going to force the issue but I think it is sad because I have talked to people who work full careers like the zoo keepers for the people who work in education and they are generally very nice. Even the people who work merchandise and the people who work at the admissions booth are friendly and make me feel welcome and will talk to me. However, this pack is the clickiest bunch of human beings that I have seen in my life. I am definately not rich and if I were so then I would not have been taking the bus and I do work part-time.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 1:51 pm

Miyah wrote:
I volunteer at a local city zoo since I am trying to locate a job and make networks. However, since I do not drive, I rely on the bus and city train. On the connecting bus from the train station which takes me directly to the zoo, there are normally a set of employees who work in food services. I have tried to reach out to them because I thought we could all relate to one another because we all ride the bus. When saying hello, however, I noticed that immidiately got the cold shoulder from them. (I.E. I sat at the bus stop this morning next to one of the employees and said hi, and he said hi back and then decided to walk away until the bus came.) However, I do notice that they seem to talk amongst each other and not branch out of their comfort zones. Finally, I often get off the bus at one stop and then they get off at another stop all together.

I was wondering if this is a common NT interaction among people who work together or is it just cold and unfriendly?

You don't work in food service do you? If not that is the reason. NTs are clanish I guess if your not part of their group then your not someone to bother with. Also do you work with a group that is higher status or better paid? They might see you as one of them even if your a non-paid volunteer. Also you are just a non-paid worker they might see them come and go so they might not want to get to attached to you since you may be leaving soon.

Tippyswivjacksn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2011, 5:47 pm

I feel your pain. I hate it when I try to reach out to someone, it falls flat on the floor and then you feel like it's your fault or your execution of it was faulty. Don't worry, you don't need them. You did your part to try and speak with them, if they don't want to engage in a conversation with you that would have been really interesting, then who needs them. They are the ones that missed out, not you.

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 6:39 pm

Todesking wrote:
Miyah wrote:

You don't work in food service do you? If not that is the reason. NTs are clanish I guess if your not part of their group then your not someone to bother with. Also do you work with a group that is higher status or better paid? They might see you as one of them even if your a non-paid volunteer. Also you are just a non-paid worker they might see them come and go so they might not want to get to attached to you since you may be leaving soon.

I am an unpaid volunteer who works in animal nutrition where I prepare meals for the animals on exhibit so yes, I volunteer in an area where things are higher up.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 6:47 pm

It depends. If these food service people work the counter and deal with the public then it might make them tend to dislike the public at large.

I used to cashier in a retail store and it made me really dislike dealing with people.