Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

aspardon
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2011, 3:59 pm

In everday life?!?!

Its a big act right?

the words you put together, the phrases you use, the things you say

FOr me I just copy other people, friends, tv people, famous actors, famous rappers, sports interviews etc...etc...

I am like a robot that has been programmed with a bunch of phrases, quotes and sentences etc and when interacting with people he goes into his program bank and finds a suitable response to give.

Like the terminator.

''Ill be back'' lol

arko5
Raven
Raven

30 May 2011, 4:10 pm

I often refer to my 'real life' persona as an act, although it's possibly I'm being unduly harsh on myself, maybe I have picked up a few genuine social skills. I even practised facial expressions in the mirror so I didn't look quite as robotic. That backfired a little, what I thought was a 'that's really interesting' expression is apparently interpreted as sarcasm, so every time I wanted to show I was really considering something it must have looked like I thought the other person was idiotic. I didn't realise until I came to uni and everyone asked why I was so skeptical, my family must have just been polite.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2011, 4:12 pm

I learned a lot of my skills from books, shows and movies I read and watch. Since the interactions depicted in entertainment media are theatrical and dramatic, the results are... awkward.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 4:31 pm

"All the world's a stage
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts."

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 4:36 pm

I guess I'm similar. I pick up on things from books, movies, etc., as well as watching how others interact. I often rehearse conversations and try to come up with ready responses. I usually do OK, but every once in a while someone will ask me something that causes me to hesitate because I have to think through a response. Which then gets added to my "database."

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

30 May 2011, 4:44 pm

aspardon wrote:
In everday life?!?!

Its a big act right?

the words you put together, the phrases you use, the things you say

FOr me I just copy other people, friends, tv people, famous actors, famous rappers, sports interviews etc...etc...

I am like a robot that has been programmed with a bunch of phrases, quotes and sentences etc and when interacting with people he goes into his program bank and finds a suitable response to give.

Like the terminator.

''Ill be back'' lol

That's how I interact, too. Like a robot. Almost.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 4:51 pm

We're all actors.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2011, 5:18 pm

I act for other people's sakes, mostly. I don't care about what they THINK about me, but I find interactions easier with NTs when they are comfortable. I am NOT at all like them, so I do my best to act like them to avoid confrontations.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2011, 5:21 pm

Acting in work situations is one of the reasons my tension builds and builds until I meltdown. It's hard work!

aspardon
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2011, 5:21 pm

mb1984 wrote:
I act for other people's sakes, mostly. I don't care about what they THINK about me, but I find interactions easier with NTs when they are comfortable. I am NOT at all like them, so I do my best to act like them to avoid confrontations.

good point ill take that in mind

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2011, 5:24 pm

robot. people have told me this.

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2011, 8:38 pm

Robot. Lot of pre-recorded stuff I play back depending on the circumstance. Always feel like a mimic in social situations. It changes depending on the crowd, though. Around people I really can't relate to, I get tired / listless pretty quick.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 May 2011, 8:39 pm

I act to some extent and even tend a bit toward social chameleon.

That said, It has been suggested in the past that I am a cold, pitiless, calculating AI.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:46 pm

No. I'm myself. I don't believe in lying as a way to fit in. What if you get caught in that lie? You only end up hurting yourself.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:46 pm

I am more comfortable when I have a script, so I tend to script as much of my life as I can.

It hinders the flow of conversation for me even more, because if I haven't scripted it, it's hard to come up with something to say.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

aspardon
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2011, 8:47 pm

Jonsi wrote:
No. I'm myself. I don't believe in lying as a way to fit in. What if you get caught in that lie? You only end up hurting yourself.

you cant have aspergers then

if you are being yourself you wouldnt even talk to people really.

I dont lie. I fake. fake conversations, fake bieng social. the alternative is too be mute