Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Rasta
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 May 2011, 7:22 pm

Well I believe that god is in the breath and that realization is possible through daily meditation. Every time you breath your in an intimate connection with god. Oxygen is created by the trees, and they are cutting all these trees down to reduce our ability to be aware. This is how god works through all of us. When you eat food you shouldn't talk much but just realize how grateful you are for the food because it's full of life and consciousness.

I've also heard of the so called sun worshipers who apparently use their eyes as solar panels basically. During the first and last hour of the sun when there's no violet light they condition their eyes to take a bit more of the suns energy every day.

Astrology is amazing, and before you spend your time trying to disprove it you should actually test it. Best way for this is get your time, date, & location of birth & get a birth chart which is very accurate.

I have a belief that no matter what happens to me, I'm going to be alright and be able to handle a situation. I'm looking forward to the future, but living in the present.

I love sacred geometry's.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Oxygen is created by the trees, and they are cutting all these trees down to reduce our ability to be aware.

aware of what?

Quote:
This is how god works through all of us. When you eat food you shouldn't talk much but just realize how grateful you are for the food because it's full of life and consciousness.

Life isn't a thing, it is a property that certain things in nature have (namely, a thermodynamic disequilibrium maintained by free energy transformation). There is no such thing as life, just living things. It's like saying that meat is full of happy.

As for consciousness, what exactly do you mean? Do you think a piece of beef is self aware? If I cut that piece of beef in two, are there two self aware pieces of beef? Does my evening stake think? How do you know?

Quote:
Astrology is amazing, and before you spend your time trying to disprove it you should actually test it. Best way for this is get your time, date, & location of birth & get a birth chart which is very accurate.

There is something called a Type One error; and Astrology is the result of it. Basically, you keep track of the hits, and forget the misses. I remember hearing about a study that tested for the correlation coefficient between the predictions of two astrologers. It turned out to be 0.1, which is basically random (the concensus between to job interviews is 0.8, 1 is perfect agreement. Look up the Briggs - Myers test, and look up a detailed description of your type. It will match you to an incredibly close degree, compared to astrological waffle. I was amazed when I did mine.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Rasta

30 May 2011, 7:53 pm

:roll:

Last edited by Rasta on 30 May 2011, 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 7:55 pm

Rasta wrote:
:roll:

Thank you for your equally thought out response. :roll:

Rasta

30 May 2011, 7:58 pm

I'm a vegan, so I don't eat meat. I eat plants of gods creation.

this thread is meant for people who actually believe in astrology, meditation, god, etc... your free to post but there's no point debating with someone with such a completely different perspective unwilling to actually take mysticism into consideration.

Have you ever looked up your birth chart? The proof is there and it's extremely accurate if you take the time to look.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:02 pm

Rasta wrote:
Well I believe that god is in the breath and that realization is possible through daily meditation. Every time you breath your in an intimate connection with god. Oxygen is created by the trees, and they are cutting all these trees down to reduce our ability to be aware. This is how god works through all of us. When you eat food you shouldn't talk much but just realize how grateful you are for the food because it's full of life and consciousness.

Oh, how cute! Yet another subjective interpretation of God with no valid material evidence to support it.
Rasta wrote:
I've also heard of the so called sun worshipers who apparently use their eyes as solar panels basically. During the first and last hour of the sun when there's no violet light they condition their eyes to take a bit more of the suns energy every day.

They still go blind, since the infra-red light is not attentuated.
Rasta wrote:

Astrology is amazingly bogus, and before you waste your time trying to put it to any practical use (other than cheating gullible people out of their hard-earned wages), you should actually test it. The best way is a double-blind analysis that involves one person collecting a hundred or so birthdays from test subjects, another person casting the horology for each, a third person interviewing each person to obtain a personality profile, and then an independent group of people (absent the first, second and thrid person) trying to match each horoscope to the personality profile, without ever meeting anyone else involved. This would minimize any collusion, and rely solely upon the collected data.

I've been involved in three such controlled studies, and not one of the studies provided any actual causal relationship between a person and his or her own natal horoscope. Astrology has been demonstrated to be invalid as a science, and should be consigned permanently to the Cemetary of Dead Superstitions.
Rasta wrote:
I have a belief that no matter what happens to me, I'm going to be alright and be able to handle a situation. I'm looking forward to the future, but living in the present.

Maybe the present, but certainly not the present reality.
Rasta wrote:
I love sacred geometry's.

There is nothing "sacred" about geometry, or any other form of mathematics.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:15 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Look up the Briggs - Myers test, and look up a detailed description of your type. It will match you to an incredibly close degree, compared to astrological waffle. I was amazed when I did mine.

It's interesting, but the Myers Briggs women based their work on that of Carl Jung, who was mighty keen on astrology.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:20 pm

Rasta wrote:
I'm a vegan, so I don't eat meat. I eat plants of gods creation.

this thread is meant for people who actually believe in astrology, meditation, god, etc... your free to post but there's no point debating with someone with such a completely different perspective unwilling to actually take mysticism into consideration.

Have you ever looked up your birth chart? The proof is there and it's extremely accurate if you take the time to look.

I believe in meditation, so helloooo....
You're in PPR, and this is a debate forum. I have looked up my horoscope of several occasions, and found it to be pretty vague.

Yesterday's horoscope
Quote:
Making new friends, exploring new avenues of communications and even further developing your existing romantic affiliations are in the cards right now. This is a great opportunity to charm your way to success.

This is vague; every day is an opportunity to make friends, or improve the love life. This could apply to anyone, and I bet it could apply to you.

On the other hand, my Myer Briggs test gave -

Quote:
INTPs are pensive, analytical folks. They may venture so deeply into thought as to seem detached, and often actually are oblivious to the world around them.

Which should be evident from my posts above, and any forumite here would agree. Here are another few traits the test claims I have:

Quote:
Precise about their descriptions

INTPs thrive on systems. Understanding, exploring, mastering, and manipulating systems can overtake the INTP's conscious thought

INTPs and Logic -- One of the tipoffs that a person is an INTP is her obsession with logical correctness.

That isn't at all vague, describes me to a dime, and I bet it only describes INTP's. I bet it doesn't apply to you.

On a funny note, I'll end on another INTP trait:

Quote:
annoying to the less concise

Hence your eye rolling :lol:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:23 pm

Rasta wrote:

The major component of meditation is in what it does to the mind and the brain. Relaxing tends to help you breathe easier, which feels good, and gets the blood flowing.

A lack of oxygen could lead to less awareness, but I'm not sure there's a conspiracy to make us dumb by cutting down trees. There's far easier ways. It's just that trees are worth money.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:24 pm

Moog wrote:
ryan93 wrote:
Look up the Briggs - Myers test, and look up a detailed description of your type. It will match you to an incredibly close degree, compared to astrological waffle. I was amazed when I did mine.

It's interesting, but the Myers Briggs women based their work on that of Carl Jung, who was mighty keen on astrology.

The test itself has nothing to do with astrology. Newton believed in alchemy, so everyone can be wrong sometimes. The INTJ test is far from perfect, but it's heaps more Scientific than astrology. 40% - 70% fall into a different category upon retesting, but there is some correlation between personality type, and test result, unlike Astrology.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:29 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Yesterday's horoscope
Quote:
Making new friends, exploring new avenues of communications and even further developing your existing romantic affiliations are in the cards right now. This is a great opportunity to charm your way to success.

This is vague; every day is an opportunity to make friends, or improve the love life. This could apply to anyone, and I bet it could apply to you.

Sun sign astrology is very vague. You really do need to look at the fullness of astrology before you write it off. A lot of people do this, simply because their exposure to astrology is limited to sun sign horoscopes in magazines and newspapers, which has the obvious consequence of making people think it's horse s**t.

You can go to astro.com and input your precise time, date and place of birth and recieve a free chart. Cafe astrology does a computer generated natal report as well, which will perhaps save you some time and effort, but is no substitute for a thorough investigation of the subject.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:30 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Moog wrote:
ryan93 wrote:

The test itself has nothing to do with astrology. Newton believed in alchemy, so everyone can be wrong sometimes. The INTJ test is far from perfect, but it's heaps more Scientific than astrology. 40% - 70% fall into a different category upon retesting, but there is some correlation between personality type, and test result, unlike Astrology.

Newton was interested in astrology too, so I am told.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:33 pm

Quote:

That seems likely. But that doesn't lend credence to astrology, just as his associations with alchemy didn't stop it being a pseudoscientific endevour which led to chemistry, which actually works.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:38 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Quote:

That seems likely. But that doesn't lend credence to astrology, just as his associations with alchemy didn't stop it being a pseudoscientific endevour which led to chemistry, which actually works.

I see alchemy as not a pseudo scientific process, but more a kind of spiritual work. The true nature of alchemy was hidden behind this beard of turning actual lead into actual gold, because the real work was considered heretical, and the church took a dim view on self powered spirituality.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:43 pm

Moog wrote:
ryan93 wrote:
Quote:

I see alchemy as not a pseudo scientific process, but more a kind of spiritual work. The true nature of alchemy was hidden behind this beard of turning actual lead into actual gold, because the actual work was considered heretical, and the church took a dim view on self powered spirituality.

It didn't claim to be a spiritual endeavour, it claimed to truly reflect natural processes, which it doesn't. You can't turn lead to gold, without a particle accelerator. If people want to fiddle with alchemy for heretical kicks, or for spirituality, fine, but it isn't science. It doesn't do what it claims it does.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:48 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Moog wrote:
ryan93 wrote:
Quote:

I see alchemy as not a pseudo scientific process, but more a kind of spiritual work. The true nature of alchemy was hidden behind this beard of turning actual lead into actual gold, because the actual work was considered heretical, and the church took a dim view on self powered spirituality.

It didn't claim to be a spiritual endeavour, it claimed to truly reflect natural processes, which it doesn't. You can't turn lead to gold, without a particle accelerator. If people want to fiddle with alchemy for heretical kicks, or for spirituality, fine, but it isn't science. It doesn't do what it claims it does.

I'm not saying it's science, I know it's not a science. I'm saying it's a spiritual process that was alluded to with a metaphor; of transmuting lead to gold. People took that at face value, and assumed that they actually were talking about turning actual lead to gold.

You would want to hide your actual business too if the church was liable to imprison, torture and/or execute you for it.