33-36 weeks 9%  9%  [ 9 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 33 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 104

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 2:57 pm

2 weeks late. I like Werbert's sentiment re procrastination - I feel it applies to me too! :)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 6:49 pm

Hmm, so 33% premature, so far...

I was only three weeks early, and small but healthy. I didn't need any special care, except for some spinal problems I would've had anyway. That's kind of odd, because I'm my mom's first child, and first babies are often late. My twin, who died at 5 months gestation, could've had something to do with it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 6:54 pm

I was born a month early.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 4:21 am

one day late

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 5:57 am

umbra wrote:
I was born six weeks premature. However, I don't think there is a connection between premature births and AS. If there were, it would have been noticed and documented by the experts who devote their careers to finding the causes/cures of/for autism. Yet I have not read anything about a connection between AS and premature births in my reading on AS.

Not necesarily. There haven't been any research in this area AFAIK, and a book from Lund, Sweden, only goes into ADHD-type problems. There is a lot of research on the ADHD-link, with up to 50% of ADHD in very premature infants in some studies.

BTW, seems like there should be a too late option as well.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 5:59 am

Callista wrote:

This cannot be made much of. It is likely that many more premature born than others are reading and voting in this thread. The link has to be researched with a control-group, with many unrelated questions not to bias the results.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 12:43 pm

9 weeks early. 3lbs. My mother was 2lbs.

Mork
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Aug 2006, 12:56 pm

I think I was born about 10 days late lol

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 1:12 pm

Yes, I was born premature.

Two months and three weeks in fact. I almost passed away, my health was so seriously bad. I cannot get over this myself. I have honestly wondered why I have an interesting sense of humor and am somewhat talented. I am smart as well, and I wonder if there is a valid connection I can make in regard to that. I am not sure why I have social difficulties, but that is the way I was born. Together with my AS and CP, I had a hard but quite remarkable life. To this day, I think to myself why I was so funny when I was younger and why I said certain things I didn't mean to say. These things meant no sense at all.

I am blessed in my life in more ways than one.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 2:20 pm

larsenjw92286, your post made me smile.

I was born in 1983 and fortunately there weren't any complications. I remember in about the sixth or seventh grade the teacher had us go around the room and had everyone tell there birth weights. To be truthful, I was pretty proud of myself to be able to not give the standard weight and said "3 pounds." Some of the other students said later told me I was lying and that no baby could survive at that weight(! !!). I assured them this was not the case but they didn't believe me.

The next day I brought in an old photo on my as a baby with all sort of tubes connected to me, as well a shot of me a few weeks older being held (for a size comparison). That won them over.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 2:45 pm

rdos wrote:
Callista wrote:

This cannot be made much of. It is likely that many more premature born than others are reading and voting in this thread. The link has to be researched with a control-group, with many unrelated questions not to bias the results.
Good point. Very good point.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2006, 4:08 pm

Medically your not premature if your born after 37 weeks and your not late untill 2 weeks past your due date, because birth can come naturally and healthily at widely varieing intervals. If you are born at 35/36 weeks your pre-term but not premature and proably would need very little medical attention.
I was born on term but i was very small, 5 pounds and i got ill with a virus soon after birth. I wasn't kept at the hospital in any special unit, this was in 1978 but if i had been nowadays i would have been admitted to special care.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 4:45 pm

Thank you!

I certainly am a valuable asset to life.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2006, 12:49 pm

I was three weeks late and was induced.

umbra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2006, 2:19 pm

rdos wrote:
umbra wrote:
I was born six weeks premature. However, I don't think there is a connection between premature births and AS. If there were, it would have been noticed and documented by the experts who devote their careers to finding the causes/cures of/for autism. Yet I have not read anything about a connection between AS and premature births in my reading on AS.

Not necesarily. There haven't been any research in this area AFAIK, and a book from Lund, Sweden, only goes into ADHD-type problems. There is a lot of research on the ADHD-link, with up to 50% of ADHD in very premature infants in some studies.

BTW, seems like there should be a too late option as well.

I think that if premature birth were a major cause of AS, then the doctors who diagnose AS would notice that most of the patients they diagnosed had been born prematurely. The doctor who diagnosed me certainly made note of my premature birth, but did not consider my premature birth to be a cause of AS.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2006, 12:32 pm

umbra wrote:
I think that if premature birth were a major cause of AS, then the doctors who diagnose AS would notice that most of the patients they diagnosed had been born prematurely. The doctor who diagnosed me certainly made note of my premature birth, but did not consider my premature birth to be a cause of AS.

You've got it the wrong way. Premature birth is not a cause of AS, it is a comorbid condition. The same thing very likely applies to AD/HD. Premature birth is also a comorbid to AD/HD.

This is really self-evident. The researchers that blame premature childrens AD/HD on their premature birth must be crazy. AD/HD is a genetic condition, and so would premature birth be if it is comorbid with AD/HD.

So, I will research the connection between premature birth (and possibly inducing birth) because I think Aspies have a greater risk at giving birth to premature children. I also want to disprove the causative link by showing that premature birth is correlated with other biological differences.