Do you cry more easily than most people?

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are you easily upset to the point of crying?
Yes 63%  63%  [ 52 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 24 ]
I'm not sure 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 83

MrBoob
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2011, 7:08 am

Yes. Always been very sensitive. At school I would cry every day, over "little" things whether physical pain or emotional frustration. Sometimes even I didn´t know the reason why I was crying but it usually made me feel better. I still feel like crying a lot (reasons vary from having to move residence to breaking my mp3-player) but I have learned to control it (both ways - I can also cry whenever I want to, just by thinking something very emotional to me) and I rarely cry hysterically anymore, though whenever in need of comfort that is pretty much all I can do. There´s plenty of music that makes me want to cry, and I can´t watch pretty much anything on tv without getting tears in my eyes. I tend to get very sentimental.

iSpeedy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jun 2011, 1:08 pm

I cry very easily, and am very sensitive. My feelings get hurt easy, or even when I am very angry I will cry. Frustration is probably the biggest. I also too cry when I see an animal suffer or someone hurt an animal, or seeing dead animals on the road. I will cry over an animal before I will cry over a person, unless it is someone very close to me. I feel guilty about that sometimes.

MrBoob
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2011, 3:11 pm

iSpeedy wrote:
I will cry over an animal before I will cry over a person, unless it is someone very close to me. I feel guilty about that sometimes.

This, too.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 5:51 pm

MrBoob wrote:
iSpeedy wrote:
I will cry over an animal before I will cry over a person, unless it is someone very close to me. I feel guilty about that sometimes.

This, too.

Me too.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

Severus wrote:
MrBoob wrote:
iSpeedy wrote:

This, too.

Me too.

i have theory about this...

i think that we feel responsible to try to care for animals as they are fully innocent and vulnerable. regular people are often not completely innocent in the same way, so we have mixed feelings. along the same lines sometimes we feel very bad for people that we deem more innocent or vulnerable than the rest of us, like small children or babies, or severely disabled people.

but i don't know if other people think like that.

silver22
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2011, 8:37 pm

I cry very easily. Especially during films. I cry if they make me sad or happy but just about anything can set me off. I often cry when I see something of great beauty, like a picture, a bird in flight or the sun setting. Music also makes me cry for the same reason. If I haven't cried for a while I will actually watch a film to induce crying, I love the feeling and I find it incredibly cathartic.

I do get embarrased when I cry around people. I know most men are ashamed because it detracts from their macho image, but for me I just don't like being the centre of attention.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2011, 8:46 pm

When I cry it is for a couple of minutes only (if I am around people, if I am home it can be longer since I don't try to control it).

But I look calm, except for the fact that there are tears streaming down my face. I sit there in the conversations (seems to happen mostly in conversations) listening. I can comment but rarely use energy to do so. Then I go in the bathroom, calm down and come out emotionally exhausted but able to continue work or whatever it is I was doing.

And I have a harder time controlling it if people try to comfort me. I think they have learned that since they don't anymore.

When I am upset about something specific I don't cry about it until I am home alone. When around people I say nothing about anything. I just listen but don't have the energy to participate.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 5:03 am

Would you say it's common for Aspies to be deeply moved by fiction but not find major life-events all that emotional?

silver22
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2011, 5:41 am

donnie_darko wrote:
Would you say it's common for Aspies to be deeply moved by fiction but not find major life-events all that emotional?

I don't know about others but I would say that sums me up pretty well. I seem to respond more to the act of happiness or sadness (as seen in fiction) than to things that should make me happy or sad and things that touch me deeply generally don't seem to affect others at all and vice versa. It's taken me a long time to realise how very different I translate emotion compared to other people.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 1:00 am

donnie_darko wrote:

I cried reading the last harry potter book and was depressed for weeks. but when my grandmother died not a tear was shed, I wasn't even really sad.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 3:24 am

hyperlexian wrote:
Severus wrote:
MrBoob wrote:
iSpeedy wrote:

This, too.

Me too.

i have theory about this...

i think that we feel responsible to try to care for animals as they are fully innocent and vulnerable. regular people are often not completely innocent in the same way, so we have mixed feelings. along the same lines sometimes we feel very bad for people that we deem more innocent or vulnerable than the rest of us, like small children or babies, or severely disabled people.

but i don't know if other people think like that.

Very interesting! I often wondered why I'm this way too. I think it explains a lot, I thought of it too, but didn't dare to admit it fully, since I also feel guilty about it.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 3:56 am

Yes, I cry because of sadness, because of happiness, and just because of anger or extreme frustration or stress.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 5:23 pm

I have always had a tendency to get really moved by things, and I cry at the drop of a hat. It's usually due to either frustration, discouragement, or stress. It is most likely to happen when in conflict with someone else, as people have their own minds and thoughts and I can't change them.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

E27
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2011, 5:34 pm

I don't cry very often, but when I do it's eather because of sensory overload, are because I get to stressed out about something.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2011, 7:57 pm

MooCow wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:

I cried reading the last harry potter book and was depressed for weeks. but when my grandmother died not a tear was shed, I wasn't even really sad.

Yes! I would only cry at a grandparent's death if they were more like parents to me (like if my parents were deadbeats and my grandparents raised me instead).

billypony

06 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm

I cry at everything. Unless it's like a sad film. Or in other words somebody elses problem. Sounds awfull, but if it's nothing to do with me I will just annalyze. It would be good if I could be more like that with myself rather than just breaking down. But no.