I will be going to a new school this september...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 6:31 pm

I don't want to mess it up, after one year of University I decided to go to an art school, it starts in September. Basically the first day what do I do? I usually just stand there like an idiot until I have the courage to talk to someone and then I will get shy again because I won't know what to say and the conversation will stop and the person won't talk with me again... What would you do to meet new people and make friends if it was you that was going to an art school?

CassandraD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2011, 6:45 pm

I do not have an ASD diagnosis, but I have ALWAYS had a hard time making friends an carrying on a conversation. I have found that if you show an interest in the other person, that helps. Find something to pay them a compliment on and then maybe ask them a question or two about their background. Stick to simple things like "How long have you been going to school here?" "Do you live on campus?" Most importantly, know when it is time to end the conversation. You do not want to seem desperate for companionship. And remember, people who go to art school are generally pretty accepting of all people...don't be nervous! Good luck!

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 6:48 pm

Hi Cassandra, a problem I have is that my body language is a mess, I will stand without moving like a metal figurine or go into a crossed arms position or worse and then my face doesn't show any emotion at all or when it does its fake...

CassandraD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2011, 6:54 pm

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I probably wouldn't notice. I'm more interested in stimulating conversation. Remember that you have a lot to offer (in a conversation). One thing that I've taught myself to do is nod when someone is speaking to me to let them know that I am listening, and then to smile in return (you can practice a natural smile in the mirror). I'm not good with body language either and I generally don't pick up on other people's body language unless it seems hostile.

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 12:24 pm

Well when I smile it looks so fake! Sometimes I wish I was a psychopath rather than an aspie, at least they emulate 'normal' behaviour better than we do...

CassandraD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2011, 1:12 pm

Don't feel that way. If people don't accept you, it is them that has a problem.