Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2011, 7:15 pm

I got a science laboratory where I need to find two chemicals (one depressent and one stimulant) to tinker on daphnias nervous system and by extension, their heartbeat. As my depressant I wanted to use melatonin since I take melatonin pills each night to help me sleep and since it induce sleep in me and makes me more relaxed I assumed it would be a good idea to use it on daphnias (I know this sound cruel but it's for science!)

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 Jun 2011, 4:59 am

It doesn't depress me, but I'm not a Daphnia. :wink:
This seems quite detailed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 6:27 am

If your sole intent is to tinker heart rate, you could try digoxin (digitalis), or keep it simple with a beta blocker of some form.

The former works by binding to a subunit on cardiac Na/K pumps, leading to calcium retention, lengthening the cardiac action potential, while the latter works by prolonging atrial refractory periods.

Alcohol could be dodgy, it sometimes lead to an increase in heart rate. Be wary of barbiturates for the same reason.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 6:34 am

I've never noticed a depressing effect from melatonin. Quite the opposite in fact.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 7:12 am

Depressant != Depressing, as all the Government rhetoric about drugs implies. It simply means the drug reduces the the activity of a particular part of the body.

Edit: an articular on the effects of melatonin on the sympathetic nervous system.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 Jun 2011, 7:49 am

ryan93 wrote:
Depressant != Depressing, as all the Government rhetoric about drugs implies. It simply means the drug reduces the the activity of a particular part of the body.
Hmm, good point.
I had an idea this was the case so yeah; not depressing, but it certainly helps depress the relentless 'think-think-think' thing which cause me sleeping problems.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 2:29 pm

Cornflake wrote:
It doesn't depress me, but I'm not a Daphnia. :wink:
This seems quite detailed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

:lol:

No melatonin is not a depressant... Anything that could reduce serotonin levels can be used as a depressant.. Sorry I don't know much apart from that

However I have a question though... I heard Melatonin pills cause weight gain... Did you notice any weight gain after you started using the pills? And just curious were the pills prescribed by a doctor?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Jun 2011, 2:35 pm

pree10shun wrote:
Did you notice any weight gain after you started using the pills? And just curious were the pills prescribed by a doctor?
Nope, nothing for me - and I could do with a few extra pounds. :lol:

No prescription is required in the UK; I got mine from Amazon (although the local health food shop may also have them) as a result of something I read here on WP about Melatonin helping with sleep and thought I'd give it a try.
It works!

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 4:17 pm

Cornflake wrote:
pree10shun wrote:
Did you notice any weight gain after you started using the pills? And just curious were the pills prescribed by a doctor?
Nope, nothing for me - and I could do with a few extra pounds. :lol:

No prescription is required in the UK; I got mine from Amazon (although the local health food shop may also have them) as a result of something I read here on WP about Melatonin helping with sleep and thought I'd give it a try.
It works!

Oh! Oh! And you sex drive? Are you able to fall asleep if you don't use it?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Jun 2011, 5:02 pm

pree10shun wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what a sex drive is, TBH.
I've missed a nightly dose (only 3mg) just once by accident and I seemed to sleep Ok but I didn't feel quite so good the next morning.
Aside from toning down the incessant internal activity when I'd like to sleep, it's also making me feel more alert when I wake up - presumably because I've actually had a good, deep sleep.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 5:06 pm

Cornflake wrote:
pree10shun wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what a sex drive is, TBH.
I've missed a nightly dose (only 3mg) just once by accident and I seemed to sleep Ok but I didn't feel quite so good the next morning.
Aside from toning down the incessant internal activity when I'd like to sleep, it's also making me feel more alert when I wake up - presumably because I've actually had a good, deep sleep.

I've recently been experimenting with melatonin, and your experience matches mine.

I've not noticed any effect on sex drive.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

Moog wrote:
I've recently been experimenting with melatonin, and your experience matches mine.
Interesting, isn't it?
Not a hint of being doped or of being "made" to sleep; just what seems to be a naturally relaxed state prior to sleeping.

Last edited by Cornflake on 08 Jun 2011, 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 6:25 pm

You guys might want to take a look at this

http://www.melatoninsideeffects.org/

I am not a pharmacist but my very experienced drug addicted pharmacy professor once told me that melatonin decreased her sex drive and caused her to have night mares and also what was it yes hair fall.. As long as you can control your dosage you should be fine I guess

I was once addicted to anti histamines to induce sleep which gave me nightmares but once I got off them they caused aggravated insomnia...
I tried herbal tea after that but it had side effects too
Gosh I hate that everything has a side effect!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 Jun 2011, 4:00 am

Hmm, no such problems here. So far it's been very useful and effective.
I was a bit puzzled by the reference to "too much" but then spotted the link to correct dosage, where it suggests 0.3 to 5mg daily is Ok - so my daily 3mg seems safe enough and I'm using no other medication.
There has been some increase in dreaming but I don't know if this is directly due to the Melatonin or just because I'm getting a better quality of sleep. Either way, the increase is nothing compared to the intense dreams I had while using (prescribed) Clomipramine.

Once I've finished the current supply I intend to see how I get on without it and decide what to do from there.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 7:12 am

the definition of depressant isn't to depress emotionally but to subdue, make calmer, more relaxed, the opposite of stimulant.

In that context, yes, melatonin is a depressant. Alcohol and marijuana fit into this category.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 3:11 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
the definition of depressant isn't to depress emotionally but to subdue, make calmer, more relaxed, the opposite of stimulant.

In that context, yes, melatonin is a depressant. Alcohol and marijuana fit into this category.

In that case beta blockers would work too!