Which autism theory sounds most accurate to you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Which theory sounds most accurate?
Weak central coherence 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
Extreme male brain 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Mind-blindness 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Intense world theory 43%  43%  [ 22 ]
Executive function 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 51

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 1:55 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've never felt female, so I've voted for Extreme Male Brian.

What would an "extreme male" be like? Rightly or Wrongly, here's one of many such lists, I've come across. Do people on the ASD spectrum really have more "masculine" traits (assuming the list has any meaning)? I'm not sure?

Feminine Traits
Submissive
Dependent
Unintelligent and Incapable
Emotional
Receptive
Intuitive
Weak
Timid
Content
Passive
Cooperative
Sensitive
Sex object
Attractive because of physical appearance

Masculine Traits
Dominant
Independent
Intelligent and competent
Rational
Assertive
Analytical
Strong
Brave
Ambitious
Active
Competitive
Insensitive
Sexually aggressive
Attractive because of achievement

roseblood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2011, 3:22 pm

Kon wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I've never felt female, so I've voted for Extreme Male Brian.

What would an "extreme male" be like? Rightly or Wrongly, here's one of many such lists, I've come across. Do people on the ASD spectrum really have more "masculine" traits (assuming the list has any meaning)? I'm not sure?

Feminine Traits
Submissive
Dependent
Unintelligent and Incapable
Emotional
Receptive
Intuitive
Weak
Timid
Content
Passive
Cooperative
Sensitive
Sex object
Attractive because of physical appearance

Masculine Traits
Dominant
Independent
Intelligent and competent
Rational
Assertive
Analytical
Strong
Brave
Ambitious
Active
Competitive
Insensitive
Sexually aggressive
Attractive because of achievement

As I said on the previous page, there's also enjoying and caring about physical activities and sports, which is less common among people with ASDs, risk-taking and thrill-seeking tendencies, whereas difficulty coping with even trivial uncertainties and novelties is a symptom of ASDs, and a general lack of worry and anxiety, which is DEFINITELY not associated with ASDs. I'm tempted to mention a higher tolerance for dirt and mess as a masculine trait that ASDers tend to demonstrate the opposite of as well but I'm less sure about that one.

Another trait more common in males than females and therefore a 'male brain' trait is being sexually attracted to women and not men, whereas lots of ASDers of both sexes are not attracted to women, many are attracted to men instead and many more are attracted to no one at all. Plus while many female ASDers are self-professed tomboys, at least some male ASDers report feeling and appearing to others more feminine than the average male as well. It's harder to know the proportions there though as there's a stronger stigma against feminine males than masculine females so they're more likely to hide and deny it.