How did you find out about Wrong Planet?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

01 Jun 2011, 2:39 am

Personally, I was looking for any and all chat channels on the IRC networks (Freenode, FTW!) because I was attempting to practice my 'conversational skills' to prove to myself whether or not I could improve with one month's worth of practice (And, if I was autistic, clearly there's a limit to improvement), and my interests at the time were basically any chat channels that applied to the mental disorders and other psychologies that I seemed closest to, and this included schizophrenia, schizoidism, giftedness, autism and the such, and I stumbled upon the Wrong Planet chat channel as being the main chat channel where I could ask "Is <this seemingly unusual behavior that I suddenly noticed> autistic?" questions. I noticed the bot saying something like "Check out the Wrong Planet site" and, voila, it had forums!

And, sooner or later, I found out the forums were far more helpful and substantial in getting answers and other useful information than the chat channel. It seemed like the chat channel was basically either all small talk or people typing as quickly and as voluminously as possible in their discussions (And thus flooding the chat screen.), making it difficult to track everything. And, seriously, autism was practically never discussed there probably because neurotypicals, with their relatively fast attention switching, dominated the fast-paced chats and they intrinsically hold little interest in boring discussions about ... autism.

So, what path did you take to find Wrong Planet?

Last edited by swbluto on 01 Jun 2011, 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Jun 2011, 2:41 am

by googling "asperger's syndrome."

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 3:15 am

During my sophomore year in high school, a teacher of mine recommended via e-mail that I check this website out. I did, and subsequently joined.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 3:18 am

Ironically, I found the site from a recommendation from a member of the Autism Speaks forum.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jun 2011, 4:19 am

Google, three years ago. Looking up autistic forum or Asperger's forum or some such thing.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 5:35 am

Through Wikipedia, I searched the web for "Asperger". Ironically, I came across it while I was searching for mental disorders that would fit my ex-girlfriend and my sister. It was February this year.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 5:38 am

From the Wikipedia article on Aspergers. I'd been going through a very emotional time and was almost brought to tears by discovering there was a place where there were others like myself.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 5:41 am

I just searched for aspergers related forums, and came across this place. I like it here, the vibe is very nice!

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2011, 7:46 am

I have found this forum several times everytime i searched info about some traits of autism where it was hart to find info in other areas, but just recently i decided to join.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 8:15 am

swbluto wrote:
... And, sooner or later, I found out the forums were far more helpful and substantial in getting answers and other useful information than the chat channel ...

So, what path did you take to find Wrong Planet?

After someone else had mentioned this site to me, I also quickly abandoned online chat and even other forums in favor of these.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 8:23 am

Found it three years ago in a random google search - joined about a year ago but didn't start posting until I had my daughters official dx.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 8:30 am

I was actually looking for the GRASP support group that the book "Look Me in the Eye" had suggested. I found this website first and decided that I'd give it a go.

crouton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 8:37 am

To my recollection, I just googled 'Asperger forums'...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 11:40 am

I was reading an article about WP in the Summer of 2004.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

I can't reember exactly, but I seem to have found it through another Aspergers' forum. That one was interesting but not very active, & I was seeking a place to get answers, & a place where I might belong. I joined right away...liked the feel of it, & it's very active. Maybe even too active sometimes? LOL It's very addictive for an information addict.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2011, 11:54 am

I was Googling information on one of my traits, and this website came up near the top of the results. In I went, and I was hooked.