Aspie 59%  59%  [ 27 ]
Aspergian 30%  30%  [ 14 ]
Autasian 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 46

ci
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 6:56 pm

After I talked about the domestic violence I experienced in which someone else was convicted of you called me a wife beater. Perhaps you should keep on topic and try and be less rude and instigating. The topic was not about beating people up but a diagnostic label. People talk about sensitive things online and especially in the Heaven and that shouldn't be used against them in a "support group" type of online setting.

I think you are actually playing oblivious like people call others stupid and then say right after I didn't say that I meant it another way.

--

If you use a diagnostic label as an identity that does not mean because you are insulted you can make cure based awareness more positive. They are talking about the disability aspects. Other then social aspects I am not sure why people desire to invent sub-names for a diagnostic label. However it may be part of socially fitting in and some seem more interested in that aspect then others. However when "autistic disorder" is framed as an identity "autistic" and used as so to evade treatment research for the potential of a cure I find that suspicious.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2011, 7:31 pm

all of these names are stupid. why do we even need a nickname? do dyslexic people get called "dyxies", down syndrome people called "downies", deaf people called "deafies", or mutants (x-men) called "muties"????? no. nicknames really demeans us, and hurts our cause for equality

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm

i like the term spectrumite

TheOddOne93
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2013, 11:13 pm

I'm sorry for my ignorance but I have always used the term Aspie because I never had an alternative.

I only came across Aspergian the other day and I cannot seem to find a clear statement which tells me if it shares the exact same definition as Aspie or if it is for a different Sub-Type.

Could someone maybe put this idea forward to me please?

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 1:26 pm

Sorry for any confusion. I came up with Aspergian. It is simply meant as a shorter way to say "Someone with Aspergers".

In college I wrote a poem about being a person with Aspergers. I didn't care for the phrases Autie or Aspie, but it's a bit of a mouthful to say "Someone with Aspergers". Aspergian is shorter, thus easier to use, and (just my opinion) seems to have a little more dignity than Autie or Aspie. Again, sorry for any confusion.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 2:29 pm

I am an Autist or I say that I am an Autistic.

DSM V nullifies the term Asperger's and therefore Aspie is no longer current.

Of course many will still use Aspie which is fine imo.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 2:44 pm

I like the term Autasian because it reminds me of a song that I like. 8)

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2013, 8:15 pm

Its only the DSM, the ICD and others still uses Asperger Syndrome so unless you live in the USA don't you still become an aspie in both diagnsis and figure of speech? am I right.