Page 6 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2011, 1:46 am

I don't mind purses but they have to be the kind that I can wear across my body. I don't like the bags that you can only wear off/on the shoulder. Also, I take it with me whenever I leave my house because my dad taught me never to leave the house without my I.D.

Mishmash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Nov 2011, 7:12 am

Kaybee wrote:
One dialect is no more correct than the other and no one country owns a language; the English spoken in England is equally as correct as that spoken in the US, New Zealand, or even Singapore. In fact, in some ways, American English has changed less over the past couple of centuries than British English has, making it ever-so-slightly closer to the original shared ancestor. For example, American English still uses words such as "gotten," most variants are still rhotic (pronouncing Rs in words), and the American accent has changed less in general than the British one has. Of course, I'm not saying that American English is more correct than British English--simply pointing out how silly it is to say that British English is more correct or that England owns English. I would be fascinated to see a study which compares how English has evolved over time in each of the English-speaking countries (of which there are many).

I don't believe they are "equally correct", it depends where you are!
In my opinion English is English and American English is American English. Look at the confusion over the word "purse". There are also other words that cause similar confusion such as "pants" (in the UK they are "trousers") and "vest" ("waistcoat"). If a UK schoolchild went into an exam and started leaving the letter "u" out of words such as "colour" and "favourite" they'd lose marks for spelling. Contestants would also lose points on "Countdown" ;)
There is definitely a difference.

I agree that a study on the evolution of "English" in different countries would be very interesting, and I would be very interested to read such a study! :)

azureyoshi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2011, 5:57 pm

The only reason I carry a purse is because I have heavy books that I need to take to classes - and with the weather turning winter-y, they stay safer in a bag than if I just carry them in my arms. I'd prefer just carrying things in a small bag but the books won't allow me to do that. I don't like backpacks because I forget what I put in what compartment lol.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 7:03 pm

twix wrote:
In the UK what we call a purse is the small thing you put money and cards in, and that goes inside a handbag, which I guess in other places is called a purse. I used to just use my pockets, but since I started work most womens work clothes don't have pockets, so I have a handbag with a diagonal strap across my body. At work I just tend to lock it away and just carry my keys, so that I don't have to worry about it or leave it anywhere.

We call that a wallet here. Or a billfold.

Frances

amusedviews
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2011, 5:03 am

GammaGeek wrote:
Goodness, I'd be lost without my purse! Where else am I going to hold all my books, pens, dice, rubber worms, phone and calculator?! I certainly don't have that many pockets.

Exactly! I always have a book, my ipod, headphones (cause I HATE earbuds so i use full on ear covering headphones) and I always drop something so its better to have it in one place :D

DataJinx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2011, 7:17 pm

I have bag about the size of my hand, on a really long strap.
It has a Native American design on it.
I really love it.

The strap is long enough that I can put it over my head, so it rests on the shoulder opposite it, like a messenger bag.
A lot of the time, I forget I'm wearing it.
I wear it during classes, when I drive, pretty much all the time.
I even wear it in the house, and I listen to my iPod, keeping it in the bag so I don't have to hold it.

It's very thin, so not much fits in it, but I put my phone, iPod Touch, credit card, id, money, my car keys in there.

But I hate normal purses.
They get too heavy cuz they can a lot in it, so I put too much, thinking I'm gonna need everything to go into it.
And the straps are never long enough.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2011, 1:28 am

I don't carry a a purse because they feel awkward to carry plus I am forgetful and will leave it behind. I tried carrying one in my early teens and I was always leaving it in my class rooms. I also think it's safer to use pockets because people don't often reach in your pockets and steal money.