Page 5 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm

Can't stand em. Wear a backpack or bag of some sort if necessary but if someone calls it a purse.... no no no. Ideally put stuff in my pocket. Why should girls carry around more stuff than boys.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

I never carry a purse for the same reasons as OP. I am extremely prone to spacing out about putting things down. When going shopping I only take out my wallet and keys. My keys go in my pocket. My wallet stays in my hand at all times - it has a strap and I put my fingers through to remind myself. I had to train myself to do this after losing purses and wallets several times when I was younger.
At home I don't allow myself to put important items down anywhere but certain places. Oddly enough, I'm pretty good at finding things my kids lose - I mentally scan the most likely places. But I sort of panic and can't think straight when I lose something important.

CeciliaAnn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2011, 1:07 pm

I hate feeling my things bulging from my pockets, so I carry either a purse or my little backpack.

"Misery's fun, I'm kissing everyone... I gotta hold my tongue." - The Breeders

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 2:41 am

CeciliaAnn wrote:
I hate feeling my things bulging from my pockets, so I carry either a purse or my little backpack.

Yeah, I don't know how women could fit things in their pockets, unless they're wearing super-loose men's style jeans?

to his Interest."

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2011, 2:26 am

I seem to be in the minority here, but I can't stand purses. It's probably because I have more sensory issues than most. I cannot STAND the feeling of a strap on my shoulder or really anywhere other than hanging off my arm at just the right angle, height and weight. I also cannot carry very much weight at all, and see no point to purses whatsoever. It's unorthodox, but I carry all my belongings when I go out in a plastic grocery bag. This is important to me because a shopping bag has no weight to it, while even the smallest purse or handbag or what have you does. Also, they hang off my arm at exactly rhe right height and angle. I never take much - phone, money, Walkman, crackers to eat. Easy to fit, easy to carry. And they're free at the local grocery store, lol. Never lost anything in one yet.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 5:28 am

I have a small leather coinpurse in the shape of a tiger's face. It's a subtle way of showing my love for the anime Tiger & Bunny.

Dione
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2011, 2:22 am

I started carrying a purse after having to carry around an epi-pen for a bee sting allergy. When I kept it in my pocket, it looked like I had a penis and I was terrified of the needle accidentally deploying. I don't have one anymore, but I still carry a purse. It has become quite convenient when carrying a trade paperback or a knitting project around. In fact, that and my wallet are pretty much all that go into my purse. I really only switch purses when they wear out or for really special occasions where I want something nicer looking.

AspieGirlMum
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2011, 5:32 am

I always carry a bag/purse with me. It makes me feel safe. I carry my phone/keys/purse in it, plus my asthma and migraine medication. A few other things get thrown in there.

I had a 1960s French army bag up until recently when I swapped to a pink Guess bag.

I am always searching for the perfect bag. One with lots of compartments so that everything can be organised. Bag designers mustn't be Aspie, if they were, bags would be much more practical than they are.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 7:45 am

Phone in one pocket, keys in another, wallet in the back pocket... On a string attached to my pants that my keys are also clipped onto (I tend to lose my wallet and keys if they aren't attached) and everything else (camera, groceries, books, pens/ pencils/ paper, medication "fannypack," etc.) go in my back pack. Using a purse or a bag with one strap makes me feel unbalanced and if you can't put them over the opposite shoulder, they're forever falling down.

EmiliaL
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2011, 8:31 am

I never carried a purse until sometime in my 40s. The few times I would try I would leave it behind and all. And it seems like it makes me a target for people to rip off stuff anyway, which was a consideration when I was younger.

I had to start carrying a purse when I discovered I was allergic to corn. I had to bring my own hand soap and toilet paper and safe bottled water with me wherever I went, so I got stuck.

I do carry a purse now, even though I got treated for the corn so that isn't an issue anymore. Now I use it for whatever electronic things I have with me -- mostly the Nook these days. Plus my spare reading glasses and some supplements I take with meals.

I still keep my wallet in my pocket. If anyone steals my purse good luck. They won't get any money out of it. And I've still left it behind in restaurants a few times.

psayles56
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2011, 1:17 am

YippySkippy wrote:
I think purses are pretty. I look at them when I pass display racks in stores. I even own a couple.
But I NEVER carry one.
This is for two reasons. Firstly, because I'm sure I will set it down somewhere and walk away, losing my keys, money, ID, and credit cards all in one fell swoop. Secondly, on the rare occasions I attempted to use one I felt like it was a pain in the azz. The strap would fall off my shoulder unless I walked funny, and I didn't like carrying it in my hand, and in general I just felt burdened.
Any other women who don't carry a purse?

I usually bring my purse everywhere and it has tons of stuff in it. It is very heavy and it bothers my arm. I need to get a bigger purse I guess.

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2011, 1:46 am

I don't mind purses but they have to be the kind that I can wear across my body. I don't like the bags that you can only wear off/on the shoulder. Also, I take it with me whenever I leave my house because my dad taught me never to leave the house without my I.D.

Mishmash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Nov 2011, 7:12 am

Kaybee wrote:
One dialect is no more correct than the other and no one country owns a language; the English spoken in England is equally as correct as that spoken in the US, New Zealand, or even Singapore. In fact, in some ways, American English has changed less over the past couple of centuries than British English has, making it ever-so-slightly closer to the original shared ancestor. For example, American English still uses words such as "gotten," most variants are still rhotic (pronouncing Rs in words), and the American accent has changed less in general than the British one has. Of course, I'm not saying that American English is more correct than British English--simply pointing out how silly it is to say that British English is more correct or that England owns English. I would be fascinated to see a study which compares how English has evolved over time in each of the English-speaking countries (of which there are many).

I don't believe they are "equally correct", it depends where you are!
In my opinion English is English and American English is American English. Look at the confusion over the word "purse". There are also other words that cause similar confusion such as "pants" (in the UK they are "trousers") and "vest" ("waistcoat"). If a UK schoolchild went into an exam and started leaving the letter "u" out of words such as "colour" and "favourite" they'd lose marks for spelling. Contestants would also lose points on "Countdown" ;)
There is definitely a difference.

I agree that a study on the evolution of "English" in different countries would be very interesting, and I would be very interested to read such a study! :)

azureyoshi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2011, 5:57 pm

The only reason I carry a purse is because I have heavy books that I need to take to classes - and with the weather turning winter-y, they stay safer in a bag than if I just carry them in my arms. I'd prefer just carrying things in a small bag but the books won't allow me to do that. I don't like backpacks because I forget what I put in what compartment lol.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 7:03 pm

twix wrote:
In the UK what we call a purse is the small thing you put money and cards in, and that goes inside a handbag, which I guess in other places is called a purse. I used to just use my pockets, but since I started work most womens work clothes don't have pockets, so I have a handbag with a diagonal strap across my body. At work I just tend to lock it away and just carry my keys, so that I don't have to worry about it or leave it anywhere.

We call that a wallet here. Or a billfold.

Frances

amusedviews
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2011, 5:03 am

GammaGeek wrote:
Goodness, I'd be lost without my purse! Where else am I going to hold all my books, pens, dice, rubber worms, phone and calculator?! I certainly don't have that many pockets.

Exactly! I always have a book, my ipod, headphones (cause I HATE earbuds so i use full on ear covering headphones) and I always drop something so its better to have it in one place :D