Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 12:07 pm

I think purses are pretty. I look at them when I pass display racks in stores. I even own a couple.
But I NEVER carry one.
This is for two reasons. Firstly, because I'm sure I will set it down somewhere and walk away, losing my keys, money, ID, and credit cards all in one fell swoop. Secondly, on the rare occasions I attempted to use one I felt like it was a pain in the azz. The strap would fall off my shoulder unless I walked funny, and I didn't like carrying it in my hand, and in general I just felt burdened.
Any other women who don't carry a purse?

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm

I prefer carrying a camera bag, but then that's just me. I never ever ever sit it down or forget it. I have however walked away without my purse on a few occasions. Never cared much for purses when I was younger either...it always felt awkward to me. There are some things that I must carry with me like my keys, drivers license, etc. I just stick that stuff inside my camera bag.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

identity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 12:56 pm

Nope. I'm afraid I am the opposite, I have to take my bag with me whenever I go out. I carry so much rubbish in it though! In fact I just went and posted a letter about 8 houses away and I had to take my bag :D

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

I go through phases. Sometimes no purse. Sometimes planner. Sometimes big purse. Sometimes small purse. Sometimes backpack purse. Sometimes organizer purse. Sometimes single pocket purse. Sometimes black, white, brown, woven, hobo, printed, leather, whatever... I have lots of purses and I go through them. The only one I won't ever do again is the planner because I've lost several over the years by leaving it on the roof of my car. But no matter what, I always make sure to put what I'm carrying on the seat next to me. :wink:

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 6:46 pm

Goodness, I'd be lost without my purse! Where else am I going to hold all my books, pens, dice, rubber worms, phone and calculator?! I certainly don't have that many pockets.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 6:50 pm

i like the way americans call bags purses. what do you call actual purses?

d0ds0t
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2011, 7:31 pm

They are just annoying to me. I just about never take anything else with me but my keys when I am heading out, unless I need to take with me money or card/licence. Calling me is not even worth it, my mobile always gets left behind at home.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 8:13 pm

I didn't start carrying a handbag until I became a mom. Now I carry very big ones with everything inside. I have to carry two epi-pens all the time and small handbags just can't hold them. If I don't have to carry epi-pens I'd like a small messenger kind of bag with just wallets and phone in it. I've got a collection of medium to large bags now. Although I'm usually very lazy and use each one for a couple months before switching. Even if they're bright pink.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 9:08 pm

I can't use a purse because some are really small. I like to carry around three notebooks, my pencil, my anti-anxiety meds and my cellphone. So for me, a messenger bag is more like my purse. Sometimes I will put my Axel plushie in it if I get tired of carrying him around because that tends to happen...

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

mox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2011, 12:05 am

OneStepBeyond wrote:
i like the way americans call bags purses. what do you call actual purses?

from dictionary.reference.com:

purse
   /pɜrs/ Show Spelled [purs] Show IPA noun, verb, pursed, purs·ing.
–noun
1. a woman's handbag or pocketbook.
2. a small bag, pouch, or case for carrying money.

I guess I don't know what you mean by "actual purse".

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 1:45 am

I carry one because otherwise I'd forget half the stuff I'm supposed to bring with me. It's also a lot easier to find a large-ish purse in the midst of a mess than smaller items like cards, keys etc individually!

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2011, 2:15 am

I don't care for purses personally. I just wear cargo pants and stuff everything in my pockets. (Like what guys do with all their crap.) Mens pants have nice deep pockets...CURSE YOU WOMEN'S PANTS FOR HAVING CRAPPY POCKETS. Plus I never really cared for wearing something on my shoulders. Too much strain. :I

twix
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2011, 5:11 am

In the UK what we call a purse is the small thing you put money and cards in, and that goes inside a handbag, which I guess in other places is called a purse. I used to just use my pockets, but since I started work most womens work clothes don't have pockets, so I have a handbag with a diagonal strap across my body. At work I just tend to lock it away and just carry my keys, so that I don't have to worry about it or leave it anywhere.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 6:30 am

Quote:
CURSE YOU WOMEN'S PANTS FOR HAVING CRAPPY POCKETS.

+1 I hate it when they sew on pretend pockets.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 6:41 am

I use my bra as my purse. I put wallet and keys under my arms inside my bra strap. They can't be lost, left behind, stolen, or dropped. The small bulge is unnoticeable beneath my arms. I also carry cannabis here because it can't be found unless they pat you down.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 7:42 am

I have an awesome winter coat with two zippered pockets in front and another zippered pocket inside. All three pockets are nice and big, so I can easily keep all my stuff in there.
In summer it's a little harder, but pants pockets suffice.
I wouldn't even think of buying pants without pockets....I'd have to stay at home! :lol: