Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Dessie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jul 2011, 7:18 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I think purses are pretty. I look at them when I pass display racks in stores. I even own a couple.
But I NEVER carry one.
This is for two reasons. Firstly, because I'm sure I will set it down somewhere and walk away, losing my keys, money, ID, and credit cards all in one fell swoop. Secondly, on the rare occasions I attempted to use one I felt like it was a pain in the azz. The strap would fall off my shoulder unless I walked funny, and I didn't like carrying it in my hand, and in general I just felt burdened.
Any other women who don't carry a purse?

I don't! I don't! And for exactly the same reasons you've listed.

People give me a hard time over it: "You're a girl, where is your purse?"

And the give me this 'huh' look when I say I don't carry one. :roll:

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 7:26 pm

I wear purses because I need them. I don't wear elegant purses thoug. Only big, saggy ones. But do I like them? The answer is no.

The fact that the strap keeps slipping off your shoulder is very regognizable. That happens to me all the time and it makes me feel very self concious and unfcomfortable for some strange reason.

BN1111
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2011, 3:01 am

Ugh. Have never like carrying anything, however, I do tend to find "hippie" like bags from India that are soft and light that are OK, also messenger bags have worked occasionally - if I'm going to carry something it had better be able to fit a book in it. I'd prefer not to carry anything, so often wear cargo pants and utilize the pockets..even though the weight of the items can bug me. I like being care free! :lol:

Fun discussion...thanks for posting.

Visit me here: http://brandynightingale.blogspot.com
Or here: http://www.facebook.com/everythingshunkydory
Or on Twitter: @bnightingale11

joeyfarlz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2011, 10:08 am

OneStepBeyond wrote:
i like the way americans call bags purses. what do you call actual purses?

I think they call them wallets...

I love my handbag... I cant go anywhere without it... I like long shoulder straps though so I can slip it over my head (doesn't fall off then). Messenger Bags are great :)

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 6:20 pm

I never carried a purse in high school. Every guy I knew would say something like "why don't you carry a purse like all the other girls?" I carry a purse now.

mimsytheborogove
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2011, 9:21 pm

I love purses; I've even been accused of being a purse-whore. I'm really picky though and tend to buy men's bags (like the miniature messenger bag, cross-body types) in one particular brand.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 1:50 am

I have to carry a purse. I don't know how else I would carry my basics- wallet, checkbook, keys, and cell-phone,
let alone other things like sunglasses, lip balm, gum, and pens. :?:

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 1:51 am

joeyfarlz wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:
i like the way americans call bags purses. what do you call actual purses?

I think they call them wallets...

I love my handbag... I cant go anywhere without it... I like long shoulder straps though so I can slip it over my head (doesn't fall off then). Messenger Bags are great :)

I don't call bags "purses", unless they're a purse.
And a wallet is a wallet.
8O

to his Interest."

Melpomene
Raven
Raven

19 Aug 2011, 5:00 am

Count me in with the purse/handbag lovers. I've always lugged around cartloads of stuff: purse/wallet, phone, books, receipts, a bottle of water, lipbalm, headphones, meds... The list is endless. I hate those small cutesy 'clutches', though - no point in bringing a bag if I can't stuff a book in it, so I usually end up with big cross-body bags or shoulder bags. I brought a small bag to a music festival last week and it annoyed me so much bumping against my hip I went back to shoving everything, including sunblock, into my pockets. :lol:

safffron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2011, 9:00 am

I'll carry a purse or tote only if I absolutely have to. I favor streamlining and simplicity, so carrying a bag seems burdensome. Pockets are my friend.

I remember reading a piece by Diana Vreeland where she was advocating the usefulness of pockets in women's clothing. How much did a woman actually need to carry? That didn't go down so well in the fashion world.

Something that annoys me - when a woman sits next to me - it could be in a subway, movie theater, or anywhere else - and she fiddles with her purse, rummaging around for ages. I've seen women take out and replace one thing after another. It seems like a ritual. I'm sure they have their reasons. Maybe it's a way to self comfort.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:05 pm

I never really use to bother when I was younger but now I always have at least a small bag on me when I go out. If I didn't and just put things in my pocket I'd end up losing everything. Plus I like how they look with some of my clothes. :lol:

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

DeeDee17
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2011, 10:14 pm

I always carry a purse. If I'm leaving the house for more than 5 minutes my purse is with me. I find it helps keep my hands busy; when I don't have a purse, shopping bag, or something else to carry I can't figure out what to do with my hands.

I also hate (very. very strongly...) having anything in my pockets. Pockets on clothing are never used except for putting my hands into. If there's something in one of my pockets I can't focus on anything else until it comes out.

lillyanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2011, 11:18 pm

That's interesting.

Gail_And_Anja-SD_Team
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Aug 2011, 7:57 pm

i agree...purses are nice, pretty and all that, but i cant get them to stay on my shoulder. so i switched to the ones that look like small backpacks. or, you could just go for a pretty pack! or, if you find one you like, but not pretty enough, buy puff paints and decorate it.

hope this helps. :flower:

YippySkippy wrote:
I think purses are pretty. I look at them when I pass display racks in stores. I even own a couple.
But I NEVER carry one.
This is for two reasons. Firstly, because I'm sure I will set it down somewhere and walk away, losing my keys, money, ID, and credit cards all in one fell swoop. Secondly, on the rare occasions I attempted to use one I felt like it was a pain in the azz. The strap would fall off my shoulder unless I walked funny, and I didn't like carrying it in my hand, and in general I just felt burdened.
Any other women who don't carry a purse?

Nereid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2011, 12:10 am

If I didn't have a purse, where would I horde all my receipts? I have one purse, although half the time I used my bookbag. Its easier when bikeriding and can hold more stuff. Purses slip off a lot and its kind of annoying.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 4:48 am

In the UK, a 'purse' is a female version of a man's money wallet. If I'm taking my daughter to school, I put my keys and phone in my pocket. If I'm going further afield, I will also need my purse (wallet) and a bottle of water, so I carry a small rucksack. It's only for very special occasions that I'll carry a real ladies' handbag. I have a black one and a lilac one and all my fancy outfits tend to co-ordinate with one or the other.