Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2011, 12:21 pm

I posted a sample cover letter out on my website that I think lends itself well to those of us on the Spectrum.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 12:26 pm

LOL Coulda used this info yesterday. Oh well. Nice website & examples btw.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

D'oh... sorry I should have gotten it out there sooner.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 6:05 pm

Ah don't worry about it....like I said, better late than never. :-) You have some really good info there.

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2011, 6:06 pm

Thank you! It is always good to hear feedback like that.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 6:10 pm

You're welcome.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 3:43 pm

I see how you layed it out but I would only find this useful if your applying to a job which you have the exact experience and qualifications to. What if your applying to a job where u do make the minimum qualifications but you dont have the experience in that field? Then you gotta go do things the NT way, make yourself sound all great and stuff.

Im fresh out of college. How likely am I gonna be applying to a job that I have the exact experience and qualifications? Not very likely. So far in my job search, I haven't.

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jun 2011, 6:59 pm

That does present more challenges... you can still use the grid to display what you have and then have a paragraph talking about your ability to learn. Or you can list the things you don't have experience with but know. I did that with SAS experience as I knew the package but did not have 'real world' experience with it. The fact that I had played with it was enough to get me more notice.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

Can this work strictly for laying out qualifications and stating how your fulfill them? Oh well I'll try that method for this office job Im trying to apply for. I really dont care if I get it or not, working in an office is not my career goal.

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jun 2011, 5:43 pm

That is a very good question actually. I was focusing on the job description but you can also use it if they publicize their company values and you agree strongly with them. This is especially good for non-profits or political jobs.

Example:

Company value: We like cats!
You: I pet each cat I meet 100 times before moving on

An absurd example to be sure but I hope you get the idea.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2011, 6:13 pm

I had an idea on another approach. To act like you would just love this type of job, positive attitutude, however for an aspie who cant lie very well this only works if the job actually sounds exciting to me. For example I applied to be a Water Sciences Operator/Dive Technician. I had about 90% of the qualifications for this job. I was all like, I like science especially chemistry plus I used to be a competitive swimmer back in highschool and I love the water. I stated this in a more professional sense but you get the idea.

For another job I applied to an entry level lab assistant job. I manage to pull together all my experiences in attempts to make myself look like a good candidate, hopefully I get an interview this is my most convincing yet genuine coverletters Ive ever written. My experiance as a clerk, volunteer experiance working in a hospital, plus my experiance working in labs in college classes, plus my research experiance in the lab. See I dont actually have experiance with working as a lab assistant in a hospital. But doesnt mean Im not suited for the position and I cant learn.

Well the office job, well there was some confusion so the site sent it out immediately without an opportunity to write up a coverletter...:(.

1)Requires 6 months + of office experience: Worked as a file clerk for 1.5 yrs
2)Basic Computer Skills: Proficient at Microsoft word, Excel, Powerpoint; internet, email: uses computer on a daily basis and can learn programs easily
3) Highschool Diploma: Yes, plus a Bacholors degree
4) Accurate Typing(40+ wpm) Can type quickly, 45 wpm
5) Able to lift 40 pounds of paper:
6) Able to stand for long periods of time: In good physical shape
7) Able to follow directions in fast paced environment and with a high volume of work: Always been very good at following instruction, and is able to deal with large amounts of work and will work longer to accomplish tasks if needed
8)Communication and organization skills: Very organized and keeping things neat, attentive to peoples needs
9) Flexible, reliable team player: Very reliable, will follow through on tasks, is very willing to do tasks for others

Sorry the formatting sucks on here, heres an idea what I would have written in a table format, 8 and 9 are a bit iffy but I try to get around it without actually lying.