Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 8:15 pm

We were at wal-mart today and I was waiting out in the car for my parents. We have two small dogs and I was out there with them. So I was sitting their with my music blasting when the people next to us came out, say, about their late teens maybe? Well one of my dogs, Chilie (My mom spells it that way) was growling and I was keeping my back to her to hide that the people were their but she growled anyway, I said, "no" and at the time I was kind of looking their direction, bad idea... but it was an accident though... they looked at me and one of them thought I was talking to her... and few minutes later she had asked me if I was hot because I was wearing my hoodie with the drawstring headphones... I didn't hear at first so I took out my headphones and she repeated herself when I said, 'huh?'... I shrugged at her because I was nervous and I had shutdown before because of my 'no' reaction to my dog... and she said, "kinda?" and then she seemed to smile, same with the other girl and they got into their car... it made me a bit nervous because of how I hate interaction, especially when I have my music.

I mean there are times I can deal with social interaction with NTs. I got nervous because of that incident there. But at least they were still nice about me acting strangely... even though they were laughing before.

Does this kind of thing ever happen to you? >____<

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Tippyswivjacksn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2011, 12:29 am

I think it was nice of them to ask you if you were hot, I mean they could have just ignored you, but they took the time to ask you how you were and I think that was very nice.

I also think that you handled it quite well. I think sometimes can sense that we get nervous or that a person gets nervous and the really nice ones will say something nice to put us at ease.

Ghonasiflaids
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm

You get like that in every social encounter?

PinkRangerV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jun 2011, 4:58 pm

Oh, gods, I hate the 'no' thing. My friend's grandpa did it to me constantly when I was at her house for a sleepover. I had not the slightest idea what he was on about or why he kept cracking up. *shakes head*

Just smile, nod, and wait it out.

(If it helps, it sounds like they were trying to be nice, so they're probably not mad at you or anything; they're just being NTs.)