Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 1:37 am

Heat trigger and allergic reaction in me - hives, and itching as of a few years ago. Heat and moisture cause the most extreme symptoms. I apparently have allergic asthma, and through treatment, should not have any effective allergies in a year or so.

As for hot food and beverage, I do seem to have a lower tolerance than most people, unless I am camping on a cold day, In which case the borns keep the cold out. I have, Ironically built up a significant tolerance to spicy food - there are locally made habanero pickles I get sometimes. When I first tried one, i could barely get the whole spear down without rinsing my mouth. Two weeks ago I was able to eat five in a row without any serious discomfort.

But they do not have me

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 2:08 am

Yes. I can't stand heat and hot water. But I am fine with stoves and hot tubs. I won't even go out in the heat either. I stay inside unless I go swimming or play with water.

Cold I am fine with but I don't like to be out in it either unless it's snow.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 5:19 am

Yeah Im heat sensitive to a degree. I was raised in a warm climate so my body was forced to be adjusted to heat but it was never my first bodily preference. I cant stand really high temps. I get burned easily when i touch something hot. When I drink hot drinks, I need to wait 20 min till the drink has cooled down some to start drinking it or else my tongue burns really easily at temps that other people would find a good temp for hot drinks.

When I went to cooler climates, I am able to withstand significantly better then other people from my climate. My first yr away at college, most people from my state was freezing hit Oct. I was able to withstand the temps similarly to the people from that area. I can touch dry ice with my bare hands. I like to play with regular ice with my bare hands.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 9:58 am

Verdandi wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Right - being sensitive to hot weather is NOT exclusively an Aspie thing. It is normal, because right now it is 31 degrees, and everyone, repeat, everyone I know is complaining about the heat. The only person who isn't complaining about the heat is me. Although I feel just as hot and warn out as they do, I love it. Anything beats all that freezing cold weather we had in winter.

I saw my NT friend today, and she's shut all her curtains to keep the sun from shining through her windows and making it feel hot. Then I spoke to another NT friend of mine, and she's got a lot of bottles of drinks kept in her bag because she said her mouth goes dry and she gets de-hydrated easily. Then my NT brother slammed out of the house before going to work because he hates working in the heat (he has to work outside).

There you have it - being sensitive to hot weather is not unique.

Hyper- or hyposensitivity to heat or cold are common traits for autistic people. This does not mean that no one else on earth has these traits. After all, hypersensitivity to heat and/or cold is also common for people with fibromyalgia.

31 degrees is pretty hot. I react to 23 degrees the way most people react to 31 degrees. Sometimes it's worse for me. That's sort of what hypersensitivity means - you're more sensitive than most people, not that you're sensitive at all. Conversely, I don't even feel uncomfortable at 0 while wearing nothing but jeans and a shirt, while the people I'm with who are dressed for winter are sometimes shivering. I just don't really suffer much from the cold.

Not all heat sensitivity is the same. Most NTs do not have the same degree of heat sensitivity that autistic people (not just Aspies) who are sensitive to heat have. Most people expect to be hot at certain temperatures. For those of us sensitive to heat, we feel that heat at much lower temperatures.

I find I'm more sensitive to the cold. It's only got to be 10 degrees and my hands get so cold they can't move. (Might be because I have artheritis running in my family). And it's got to be 18 degrees or over for me to wear a T-shirt - and if there's a fresh wind I put on a jacket. I'm not that sensitive though. I just feel like everybody else does with the temperature.

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jun 2011, 12:48 pm

I may not have it as bad as some but I think I may fall into this a little. If it's too hot outside and I stay out in it (which I normally don't do) I get sick and I don't like hot drinks or very hot food (I also eat fast I'm told so my tongue is burnt a little and the inside of my mouth are all scared from accidentally biting myself). I don't go outside much and in trying to fix that I now have a sunburn down the middle of my face (not sure why it's just there though I found a lighter sunburn on my checks and arms so my face probably just got the worst of it). I don't like cold either but there isn't much of an in between where I live. (it's either cold for here or too hot).

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I find I'm more sensitive to the cold. It's only got to be 10 degrees and my hands get so cold they can't move. (Might be because I have artheritis running in my family). And it's got to be 18 degrees or over for me to wear a T-shirt - and if there's a fresh wind I put on a jacket. I'm not that sensitive though. I just feel like everybody else does with the temperature.

10 degrees can be too warm for me in the winter. During the summer, it's actually more comfortable, and I have a harder time with freezing temperatures, but my lack of tolerance to warm temperatures doesn't really improve in the summer. Just the cool temperatures.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 1:36 pm

I remember Montana was hell in the summer because it get very hot out. It be worse when we travel and we be in the RV and it had no AC so one time my family decided to stop somewhere. I started to have a meltdown and get anxiety because it was so hot and my dad gets mad at me and goes "do you want people do like you?" acting like I was choosing to get tortured in the heat. It was cooler when we be on the road because we were moving but when we stopped, it get hot. My brothers and my mother just wanted to get out and walk so there was no AC. But my dad seemed to tolerate the heat better than me and I was just suffering.

Even in the summer time at home, my home had poor insulation so it gets hot in the summer. I used fans but having sex with my ex was uncomfy because I can't tolerate sticky skin. Even with fans it didn't work. So when it got so hot out, I told him I didn't want to have sex until it gets cool out again. My ex expected me to get used to it and mom told me lot of people don't like the feeling. But with me I just can't stand it. I don't even want to touch my own baby when his skin feels sticky. I use prefold diapers or a blanket so I won't feel his skin.

ezekiel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2011, 6:13 pm

Once the room is over about 74 F (23.5 C) degrees, my brain starts to overheat and the "autism overwhelmed" mental state kicks in with a multiplying intensity when other triggers join in.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 6:17 pm

I can't stand temps above 80F and it is constant, were I live it may get warm but alot of times the winds are actually cooler.

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

My mom thought I was just being difficult when I said I was scared to take the food out of the oven. >_< It took me a long, long while but I'm no longer terrified of the oven or stove. Still won't get near the deep-fryer, clothes iron, or hair flattening iron though. Almost dropped my plate of pancakes in iHop today because the bottom burnt my fingers. : (

It's cool to see that other people have this same problem.