Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

I notice how often times I get really panicky around hot surfaces. This is one reason why I have a huge fear of stoves. I even get panicky when my food is hot and won't eat it until its warm or cooled off. With hot drinks like coffee or hot chocolate, I have to put cold milk in them to cool off. For hot surfaces that I touch, its almost like my skin is burning more than it should. I will immediately have to draw my hand away and do everything to cool off the hot object because the burning feeling makes me feel hypersensitive. Yet, I never have this problem when something is really cold.

I even have trouble getting into hot tubs because I feel like the hot boiling water is burning my skin so much that its like its going to burn right off... or something. But people always tell me, "Oh its not that hot." but yet to me it is and its always a problem for me.

I notice how this falls under my sensitivity to touch and taste too... because my tongue burns easy with food that is hot and even feels numb afterwards.

Is there anyone else like this with AS or is it just me?

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Jun 2011, 10:34 pm

I find warm ambient temperatures extremely uncomfortable and difficult to cope with, and I am no fan of hot drinks or surfaces at all.

That said, my muscles ache a lot and hot baths help with that, so those do work out better for me. Otherwise, though, I do not love heat at all.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm

Yes, and not just to hot weather. I am particularly sensitive to core body temperature and the differences in body temp. depending on a person's body fat vs. muscle. Meaning, I hate boobies... :wink:

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 11:07 pm

My skin is very sensitive to hot weather. My skin breaks out if it's very hot and I have trouble sleeping. I also feel like I can't breath. If I don't open the window even in winter, I feel like I'm breathing stagnating air and I'm going to suffocate.

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jun 2011, 11:13 pm

That sounds pretty similar to me, except that I'm just hypersensitive rather than phobic. On the other hand, I got pretty scared of being around stoves after I got burned making scrambled eggs.

I can't drink hot coffee or hot cocoa until it's cooled down. I always feel like it'll burn a hole in my tongue. Which is why I <3 iced coffee, even in the middle of winter! I love the euphoria after downing tons of freezing caffeine-filled drinks on a cold day/1 :D :shaking2: :shaking2:

I hate hot weather. That's why I practically live in the Arctic. 8)

Watch Doctor Who!

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 11:25 pm

I hate the summer heat and humidity. I am drenched in sweat doing the easiest of tasks. When I worked at the machine shop it was at least five degrees warmer inside the shop than it was outside I would get so overheated I would get dizzy and stagger when I walked. They felt bad for me so I was one of the few who did not have to fight over a fan.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 3:48 am

I hate heat too. I'm dreading tomorrow when the temperature is supposed to hit 25C. I know that's not too hot, but this is Scotland and the humidity is bad even when it's fairly cool. Most of all, I hate the way my hair feels - it's really curly and goes like cotton wool. My daughter started school last year and this is the first time that our summer holiday will be restricted to the hot summer months. Our preference would be to go away at the end of Sept or start of October.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 4:28 am

I don't really like hot things either. I am really sensitive to heat and often suffer from heat rashes or heatstroke in hot weather. I will use the stove but I get burnt a lot because I am very clumsy and have tics. I definitely prefer the winter that's for sure!

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 4:54 am

I prefer summer to winter. I'm more comfortable with heat than cold. When it's really hot outside (30C, 86F or more) I feel depressed, but I can take it better than when I have to feel chilly.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 5:39 am

i'm also uncomfortable in heat; although if it increases slowly i can take quite a lot (i start my showers luke-warm but end them nearly steaming...)
hot ambients also make me uncomfertable and drowsy, while i can take a lot more cold then my NT peers; it is almost as if my 'reference temperature' is dialed down significantly compared to them

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 8:28 am

I don't like the hot weather either I don't like feeling sweaty and uncomfortable with the mugginess.
Thank goodness we're in winter now much better to be cooler and not have to worry about going out in the heat.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 1:35 pm

I don't like the hot weather, or hot surfaces, or hot drinks. When it's hot, it feels like th air is heavy or something, I can't sleep, I can't sit down, I can't lie down, I can't read, it's even a little difficult to breathe. I can't cook because I'm so afraid of the stove. If it's tea, coffee, or hot chocolate, I always either wait until it cools off, or add ice or milk to it. I also think food tastes better when it's cold. I'll never eat anything hot.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 1:39 pm

I am more intolerant to the cold than to heat. I've even watched as hot grease bubbled up a huge blister on one of my fingers when I was cooking. No, I didn't flinch either. I found it quite interesting to observe. I've been burned by lit cigarettes, cooking oil, hot pans, the stove, ovens, & even hot irons. Yeah it hurts for a while, but cold hurts me worse.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

I'm hyposensitive to hot surfaces but dislike hot weather. I have to be careful with hot drinks because I can burn myself without realizing I'm doing it.

MyDogSasha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jun 2011, 1:48 pm

yeah same as izzeme

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2011, 6:08 pm

Not much. I'm more sensitive to cold. For this i prefer summer to winter.
About hot surfaces, once i burnt my arm with a bulb, and i almost didn't felt pain. i just felt something strange and when i have seen what was happening i removed my arm from the bulb. But at the same time i fear fire

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -