Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Qi
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2011, 9:38 pm

Anyone have this problem where you just can't stop overthinking things? In my case, I cannot bring myself to actually do anything without thinking about it, and hence it becomes too stressful to actually do anything. I think it's kinda like OCD, but broader. I just have to understand everything before I make any kind of decision, even the most minor of decisions.

I have this dilemma where I'm supposed to be studying for a really important exam, but I keep asking myself questions like: Why now? What changed from yesterday? If I study now, what's to stop me from losing interest like everytime? Something has to change in order for me to make a decision like studying and stick with that decision. My obsessive search for the answer to that question ends up preventing me from even trying. I have to approach studying with a different philosophy. Otherwise I'm just gonna remain stuck in this limbo. Now I don't even know if the problem is me thinking too much, or if I just haven't found the answer to my question yet, but even if I did find the answer, it's going to lead to more questions. The thing is, I know that I'm most efficient when I'm not thinking at all, but with something like studying, it's all about using my brain, and these thoughts and questions are kinda in queue, disrupting the flow of thought.

No wonder I suffer from extremely low productivity.

I post this here because it's wider than a typical school-problem. It's something that affects all aspects of my life.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 10:01 pm

Qi wrote:
Anyone have this problem where you just can't stop overthinking things? In my case, I cannot bring myself to actually do anything without thinking about it, and hence it becomes too stressful to actually do anything. I think it's kinda like OCD, but broader. I just have to understand everything before I make any kind of decision, even the most minor of decisions.

Yup.

I think way too much.

Aerith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2011, 10:04 pm

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't call it over-thinking. I'd say that it's merely a particularly inquisitive nature.

To be honest, I actually never had to study for anything until I started my grad classes. However, I've always been the type of person who, if asked what I'm thinking, tends to reply with something that completely astounds whoever asks because I'm always thinking of something.

A potential solution, and one that worked for me, was to merely prioritize my activities. One has to force one's self to answer a strictly yes or no question:

Quote:
Do I really need to do this?

If the answer is yes, shut your mind off to everything else and just do said activity.

Otherwise, do whatever you normally do however you normally do it and don't bloody stress about the aforementioned task.

This can then be stretched with priorities. Which things need to be done now and which things can wait a bit.

Another thing one can do is just make decisions on the fly. The idea is that, more often than not, the hardest part of some or other task is starting it. Once one has already thrown one's self into action forcibly, the momentum keeps one going.

If anything, treat it like a game, but with a time limit. I don't know about you, but I'm a bloody competitive bastard. I REALLY like winning.

Or you could just study philosophy and become a professor in the field. Then you'll be doing what is natural to you all the time!

Nikki82
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2011, 10:06 pm

I over think everything in my life here i have been told i think way too much.

Qi
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2011, 10:24 pm

Aerith wrote:
I know what you mean, but I wouldn't call it over-thinking. I'd say that it's merely a particularly inquisitive nature.

To be honest, I actually never had to study for anything until I started my grad classes. However, I've always been the type of person who, if asked what I'm thinking, tends to reply with something that completely astounds whoever asks because I'm always thinking of something.

A potential solution, and one that worked for me, was to merely prioritize my activities. One has to force one's self to answer a strictly yes or no question:
Quote:
Do I really need to do this?

If the answer is yes, shut your mind off to everything else and just do said activity.

Otherwise, do whatever you normally do however you normally do it and don't bloody stress about the aforementioned task.

This can then be stretched with priorities. Which things need to be done now and which things can wait a bit.

Another thing one can do is just make decisions on the fly. The idea is that, more often than not, the hardest part of some or other task is starting it. Once one has already thrown one's self into action forcibly, the momentum keeps one going.

If anything, treat it like a game, but with a time limit. I don't know about you, but I'm a bloody competitive bastard. I REALLY like winning.

Or you could just study philosophy and become a professor in the field. Then you'll be doing what is natural to you all the time!
Thanks. That was helpful.

Yeah I've always been kind of a... philosopher psychologist.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 10:30 pm

I've been told by many people that I think too much. It didn't surprise me when te girls at the factory told me that. All they ever thought about were men and sex.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2011, 1:39 am

Yes, about everything. I remember watching a movie not long ago with my dad with a neurotic character who was explaining how they can't get to sleep because they can't turn their mind off. They went off on a tangent about that for a few minutes so my dad turned to me and said 'they're nuts'. I said 'that's what I'm like, that's like my insomnia'.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 2:41 am

I hesitate much over decisions, I've been told many times not to do so, it may annoy others. I think there's something in saying that the sooner you start doing something the easier to get over it.

When I have an exam, I'm a bit anxious on the preceding days. I guess my productivity at learning is somewhat poor, my attention tends to drift away all the time so that I have to force it back to the subject. I a bit envy those folks who can study overnight and have a good grade, I can't, I get tired at a point and I'm unable to focus any more. Before the day of the exam I just can't sleep well.

As for how many days to study, it depends, but for rule of thumb don't stretch for too long, you'll lose the interest and forget things, but allow enough days to acquire understanding on the subject and later memorize what's necessary.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2011, 11:48 am

I've thought myself into an obsessive frenzy before.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2011, 12:36 pm

Racing thoughts are a very Aspie thing and also a trait of OCD too. They often prevent me from sleeping. See my recent post (link below) for what may or may not be helpful for this both for AS and OCD.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp3697304.html

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm

Yup, I do this all the time. I will think & rethink something, but I can never come up with a conclusive answer. Sucks!

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

AspieOrNot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2011, 1:08 pm

I... am... always thinking.

I tend to make up conversations if my mind. For example, if I was visiting a friend, I would think for hours what would I tell him and how'd he react and what I'd tell then etc.

It tends to become uncomfortable as I just want to relax from times to times.

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2011, 2:31 pm

Absolutely, absolutely. Runaway thoughts can get in the way of what has to be done. Probably related to executive function deficit. I find it very useful to "capture" what I need to do and make a list of sequential steps to get there, and start working on them. Even the simplest step, like go get a book I need to read. Just something to get me going and focused.

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 4:29 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Qi wrote:

Yup.

I think way too much.

Same.

It makes getting anything done a nightmare.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 5:16 pm

Yes. And I have severe OCD.

crouton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 1:05 am

I have this problem too, though I don't believe I have OCD. My anxiety and the resulting thoughts certainly have an obsessive character to them, and both either presently have or have previously had a very negative impact on sleep, concentration ability, and quality of life.

When I get in that state, I find it impossible to focus my mind on anything but the source of worry - or indeed to take the focus off anything, and aim to get into a more relaxed state. The consequences where sleep and concentration are concerned should be obvious, and fairly typical of AS/anxiety. The more wearing problem, however, would definitely be the way that my quality of life suffers: when I experience anxiety, I just can't 'let go' of any worries until I've either been reassured multiple times or put multiple contingency plans in place. Without that kind of certainty, which sometimes just can't be reached, I'm left to sit there and become more and more stressed as time goes on...