Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 8:18 am

I just read this on CNN and was struck by the irony of it:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/30/arlington.cemetery.protesters/index.html?iref=obinsite

As always, I respect the rights of others to free expression whether I agree with them or not. WBC, though not strictly speaking a violent group, very much is a hate group. It's no secret that I don't regard them as any kind of good representation of Christianity, nor have I ever felt that the KKK accurately reflected Christian values.

I do think that any kind of hatred reflects negatively on Christianity, in particular the kinds of hatred spewing forth from WBC and the Klan. On the other hand, racial purity was a value instilled in me from an early age. While I do not share the Klan-like attitude that so-called miscegenation should always be avoided, I do feel the criteria for who a person marries or associates with is a personal choice. Race was certainly a factor in my assessment of potential mates. I do harbor ill feelings towards ignorant people regardless of race, and that is really the extent of anything in me you might term hatred towards any person or group of people.

So I think that a groups like the Klan, if they wish to separate themselves because they feel the "white" race is being "denigrated" (according to them), then that is perfectly fine with me. Since I have issues with "ignorant people," I tend to separate myself from them. There does seem to be a lot of ignorance going on when I look at groups like WBC and the Klan.

The last thing I have to say here is It seems to me from the article that a group that claims to represent the Klan reflects a shift in attitude from the Klan we're used to hearing about. Is this a continuing trend in a group that has abandoned bigotry in favor of merely empowering white people? Or are they just a group that claims to be a Klan that has nothing to do with the original organization? Or even does this have potential for "no true Scotsman"?

What other thoughts do you have on one hate group opposing another hate group?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 8:51 am

Well, it is nothing new. From time to time you find groups that explicitly despise one another uniting to fight a common enemy; but at any moment they may turn and rend.

But - hate group? The factors vary, the actions and rhetoric vary. But there is little difference between the Klansman and one of my Baltimore German Lutheran ancestors contemplating the relative who married a Baltimore German CATHOLIC, or the good academic Liberal contemplating his Tea Party son in law, or for that matter my feelings if Number 1 Son were to take up with an ennea-3w4. Not that that is likely, he understands these things.

ANY group to some degree has its red flags and Green Monkeys.

--------------------

THAT said, racial purity is to laugh. 99% of the human race is such a mishmash it is not funny. The Englishwoman [I am talking a specific person] who considers the English superior to Scots, Welsh, and of course all non-British has Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Cornish, Norman, Breton, Flemish, German and Spanish ancestors - and is married to a Goan.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 8:55 am

Evil feeds upon itself, so put the KKK and the WBC in the same arena, and let the feasting begin!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 12:02 pm

Meh, "Haters gonna hate." :roll:

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 12:20 pm

There is none righteous. You should see MY Green Monkey list.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 1:15 pm

Don't give the platform they want is part of the solution. I only see it troubling to Christianity if Christians react positively to Westboro, which they haven't, and many congregations have been very vocal about evil carried out in the name of God. The media doesn't care though since virulent racists are more interesting to make fun of anyways.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 1:33 pm

Philologos wrote:
THAT said, racial purity is to laugh. 99% of the human race is such a mishmash it is not funny. The Englishwoman [I am talking a specific person] who considers the English superior to Scots, Welsh, and of course all non-British has Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Cornish, Norman, Breton, Flemish, German and Spanish ancestors - and is married to a Goan.

I agree. I think "cultural" purity or religious purity is probably more noble than "racial" purity because, well, there's really no such thing. It's a personal decision, and I knew I'd be more likely to end up with someone whose native culture and religious influences more matched my own. That "type" of person is more likely to be white than black. But "pure" race? White supremacists such as the Klan as they are traditionally known (rather than the "nice" Klan seemingly depicted in the article) make much of nothing.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 1:38 pm

Ironically enough, Fred Phelps used to be a civil rights lawyer.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2011, 4:49 pm

[quote]Meructio: A plague a' both your houses[/i]

---Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, III, i, 91.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 3:33 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
Ironically enough, Fred Phelps used to be a civil rights lawyer.

Really? 8O

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 5:40 am

God* has a sense of irony...

*ppr caveat: [deity(s) of choice/no deity]

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 6:05 am

Quote:
... About 10 members of a group ... cordoned off separately in a nearby area, but drew little attention as they gave out small American flags behind a banner that read "POW-MIA." ...

"It's the soldier that fought and died and gave them that right to free speech," said Dennis LaBonte, the self-described "Imperial Wizard" of the KKK group that he said he formed several years ago.

"That's fine," said Abigail Phelps, the daughter of Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps. "They have no moral authority on anything."

... A larger group of about 70 protesters -- separate from the KKK -- located across the street waved pro-USA signs and took turns shouting down the Westboro Baptist Church group.

Some of the counter-protesters, including Malaika Elias, stood in front of the Westboro participants in an attempt to block them from street view.

"I think they're twisted and confused, and we're just here to show them there are people who think they're completely wrong," Elias said.

Hate or no hate, all of that sounds to me just like right here in PPR:

A gets attention; B offers objection; C steps in front of each and makes an off-topic declaration.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:37 am

Westboro was on the Australian 60 minutes the other week 8O . Gosh what a horrible bunch of people being glad about bushfires and floods.
I don't like the KKK either how can you hate someone just because they're a different colour I could never understand how some people think 8O

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 7:02 pm

Haters gonna hate. :roll: