Comic Book Fans: Is Tim Burton's Batman Accurate?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

burton???
yes. he adapted the comics quite accurately 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
no. he adapted the comics quite poorly 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 9

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 9:37 pm

Good point Jory. Hell, even Batman Forever and Batman & Robin were accurate adaptations of the 60's Batman. Nolan's Batman films are adaptations of the late 80's and 90's Batman.,

Anyway, to the OP, I'm not defending everything about the Burton films, BUT I will say that Keaton's Batman was intimidating and mysterious.....moreso than Bale's.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 2:40 pm

Jory wrote:
Speaking as someone who paid $80 for a Batman tattoo, I know how Batman geeks can get. They'll loudly complain about the films being unfaithful to the comics, but take it from me, there's no "accurate" Batman. When a character has been around for almost a century and has been depicted in countless different ways, there's no "correct" interpretation. And if you want to get technical about it, Burton's Batman is much more faithful to the original 1940s Batman, who wasn't above killing his enemies. The Adam West Batman was also very faithful to the comics that were being published at that time (the 1960s). Whether Burton's Batman is faithful to the comics depends on which comics you're reading and which you personally accept as "your" Batman.

all right then, in the original comics, superman wasn't able to fly at all. then, he was depicted as being able to fly. i would get pretty pissed off if the movie depicted superman as not being able to fly even though the recent comics say otherwise. (BTW, Tim Burton WAS going to do that with the planned film, "Superman Lives". He didn't want superman to fly as it would be "too boy scoutish" also, he casted nicholas cage as superman

anothr example is with sabretooth, aka victor creed, wolverine's enemy. in the original comics featuring him, he was just a serial killer. no claws, mutant healing, none of that. now, sabretooth has powers. i would be pretty pissed off if in the moie he was depicted as just a serial killer

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 3:36 pm

And that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own personal favorite version of a character. But one interpretation being more popular than another doesn't make it any more "correct." And complaining about something simply because it's not faithful to the source material is pretty lazy. If you don't like Batman killing his enemies, fine, but it would be better to explain why you don't like him doing that instead of simply pointing out that he doesn't do it in the comics.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 3:58 pm

Jory wrote:
And that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own personal favorite version of a character. But one interpretation being more popular than another doesn't make it any more "correct."

did you read what i posted at all?! i never said nolan's version was more correct because it was more popular!

Jory wrote:
And complaining about something simply because it's not faithful to the source material is pretty lazy. If you don't like Batman killing his enemies, fine, but it would be better to explain why you don't like him doing that instead of simply pointing out that he doesn't do it in the comics.

what Markmagnum said is an excelent explanation:

Markmagnum wrote:
Besides what Vince said, another flaw of the Michael Keaton Batman was that he killed criminals. The real Batman of the comics does not kill criminals, because if he did he would be taking the law into his hands, rather than leaving it to a neutral and objective third party such as the police and the courts to uphold justice. By killing criminals he crosses the line from "guy that dresses up in a batsuit and helps the police capture criminals from time to time" to "unstoppable vigilante who decides who is guilty or innocence, who deserves to be imprisoned or let free, who deserves to live or die, without the permission of law enforcement or the legal system". The reason we don't allow individuals the power to met out justice on their own, and only allow law enforcement and the legal system do so, is because individuals are biased and prone to acting out of emotion rather than reason, and Batman,while he may be a superhero, is still a human being who acts out of emotion and can be prejudiced and biased, and Batman is aware of this. Batman knows that he is breaking the law just by apprehending criminals, Batman knows he is breaking the law simply by existing, so no matter how tempting it would be to murder a sick human beings like the Joker and Black Mask or mobsters like Two-Face,the Penguin, and Rupert Thorne, he will never cross that law because will change him from a vigilante to a fascist.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

Quote:
did you read what i posted at all?! i never said nolan's version was more correct because it was more popular!

You certainly implied it with your speech about how you would be pissed if all the most popular aspects of the comics were not represented faithfully in a film adaptation. If I misinterpreted you, I apologize. But it's beside the point. The point is that no interpretation is more legitimate than any other, and we shouldn't complain about anything in a comic book movie simply because it's not like the comics. And you're right, Markmagnum explained his views nicely. If you agree with him, that's explanation enough for me. Again, if I misinterpreted you in any way, I apologize.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2011, 4:20 pm

Jory wrote:
imbatshitcrazy wrote:

You certainly implied it with your speech about how you would be pissed if all the most popular aspects of the comics were not represented faithfully in a film adaptation. If I misinterpreted you, I apologize. But it's beside the point. The point is that no interpretation is more legitimate than any other, and we shouldn't complain about anything in a comic book movie simply because it's not like the comics. And you're right, Markmagnum explained his views nicely. If you agree with him, that's explanation enough for me. Again, if I misinterpreted you in any way, I apologize.

you know what? fine. you have every right to like michael keaton's batman better. but, this thread is about accuracy to the comics. and nolan wins at that. BTW, the comics from the '40's to the late '60's has no continuity to the mainstream comics anymore

timburtonrocks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2013, 3:03 pm

timburtonrocks wrote:
I don't read comics but the films that burton was apart of are great 8) .

I must need eye glasses i read superman comics but i have never been that big on batman comics but with that said his batman films were brilliant .

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2013, 3:11 am

I like the Burton films and still rewatch them from time to time. But different strokes for different folks.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty