Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 10:34 am

so I decided to google search a definition for autism though i already know the definition and what came up surprised me

Quote:
Dictionary

Search Resultsau·tismnoun /ˈôˌtizəm/ 

1.A mental condition, present from early childhood, characterized by great difficulty in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and abstract concepts

2.A mental condition in which fantasy dominates over reality, as a symptom of schizophrenia and other disorders

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Web definitions
(psychiatry) an abnormal absorption with the self; marked by communication disorders and short attention span and inability to treat others as people
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior. These signs all begin before a child is three years old. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

Bio-neurological disorder that is observable in early childhood with symptoms of abnormal self-absorption, characterised by lack of response to other humans and by limited ability or disinclination to communicate and socialize. ...
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/autism

autistic - characteristic of or affected with autism; "autistic behavior"; "autistic children"

Autistic - The autism spectrum, also called autism spectrum disorders (ASD) or autism spectrum conditions (ASC), with the word autistic sometimes replacing autism, is a spectrum of psychological conditions characterized by widespread abnormalities of social interactions and communication, as well as ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autistic

autistic - A person suffering from autism; Pertaining to, or suffering from autism
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/autistic

A developmental brain disorder that typically appears during the first three years of life. It affects brain areas controlling language, social interaction and abstract thought. Children and adults with autism typically have deficiencies in verbal and non-verbal communication, social interactions.
www.ucp.org/ucp_generalsub.cfm/1/9/36

a developmental disability that can cause problems with communication, social interaction and routine/repetitive behaviors. Although not diagnosed at birth, autism probably has origins in prenatal development and therefore is a type of birth defect.
www.cbdmp.org/glossary.htm

Autism is a form of pervasive developmental disorder with an unknown origin. It can range from high functioning to severe in nature. Symptoms are a marked lack of awareness of the feelings of others and little or no social interaction or communications with others. ...
chfs.ky.gov/dcbs/dpp/adoptionglossary.htm

A rare syndrome, appearing in childhood, characterised by a withdrawn state, a lack of social responsiveness or interest in others, serious communicative and linguistic impairments, and a failure to develop normal attachments, all frequently accompanied by a variety of bizarre ways of responding ...
access.autistics.org/resources/glossary/main.html

This is a lifelong developmental disability that affects the way a person communicates and relates to other people. It's also known as austistic spectrum disorder, or ASD. People with autism have difficulties with everyday social interaction. ...
www.mumsnet.com/special-needs/conditions-and-disorders

No single parameter, or combination of parameters, has been unambiguously corroborated as a cause of human autistic disorders. No medications have been proven to be efficacious in the treatment of the core social or communication impairment seen in autism. ...
www.genomicglossaries.com/content/printpage.asp

A disorder rendering the child noncommunicative and withdrawn.
www.child-dev.com/page.cfm

Autism is purely a lunatic as well as a semi-genetic disease. Hyper-activity is the primary symptom of autism which is followed as a genetic character to the following generation, thus, autism becomes the second generation genetic disease.
www.astrocopia.com/glossary.html

a complex developmental disorder that affects a person's ability to communication and interact with others. ...
www.nslij-genetics.org/apbib/glossary.html

so what are peoples thoughs?

here is the search link
http://www.google.com/search?q=define+l ... 41&bih=445

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 10:58 am

Some of these are really surprising, but some are accurate. I think this one:

Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication, and by restricted and repetitive behavior. These signs all begin before a child is three years old. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

is the traditional definition as those are the triad of impairments psychologists and doctors look for when assessing and screening for autism (and as it is present from birth, they have to be present before the age of 3 and cannot spontaneously manifest at the age of 22).

I think this one is ridiculous:

2.A mental condition in which fantasy dominates over reality, as a symptom of schizophrenia and other disorders

As far as I know, they do not refer to schizophrenic people as autistic during their delusions. Autism is not characterized by delusions.

I don't like this one either:

(psychiatry) an abnormal absorption with the self; marked by communication disorders and short attention span and inability to treat others as people

I don't always see people as people (sometimes when walking down a crowded sidewalk, I move in and about objects rather than "souls" in human bodies, for example.) Also I am not good with empathy, and I have NO idea what other people are thinking. I also realized recently (it was pointed out, but I don't always know when I am doing....I don't usually ever know until afterward) that I do not include people socially the way others do. I still don't think any of this is an inability to treat others as people because I know they are, and I always try to be nice and polite to people and to treat them with respect. Just because I don't know how to interact doesn't mean I treat people inhumanely (unless that is not what the poor wording of this definition means....) Also, I don't believe autism is characterized by a short attention span in the way that ADHD is. I think autistic people (who do not have comorbid ADHD) seem to lose attention due to their sensory issues. That is the case with me and many others I know.

Hmmm......
A rare syndrome, appearing in childhood, characterised by a withdrawn state, a lack of social responsiveness or interest in others, serious communicative and linguistic impairments, and a failure to develop normal attachments, all frequently accompanied by a variety of bizarre ways of responding ...
access.autistics.org/resources/glossary/main.html

Rare? I don't think it really qualifies as rare anymore...... Most people do have some extent of a withdrawn state though, although some do not I am sure. I do have some responsiveness and interest, even if it might sometimes seem a bit atypical to outsiders. I do have communicative and linguistic impairments sometimes, though not all do, and I guess I am better at this than some more severe people are. I am verbal though. The rest seems right for me, though I don't like to think of myself as "bizarre", but I guess outsiders do. :?

This person is obviously speaking of low-functioning autism, and should have specified that are elaborated:

A disorder rendering the child noncommunicative and withdrawn.
www.child-dev.com/page.cfm

Oftentimes even lower-functioning people find some way to communicate sometimes.

WHAT?!:
Autism is purely a lunatic as well as a semi-genetic disease. Hyper-activity is the primary symptom of autism which is followed as a genetic character to the following generation, thus, autism becomes the second generation genetic disease.
www.astrocopia.com/glossary.html

Aside from the way my meltdowns sometime appear, I rest assured that no one would agree that I am "purely lunatic". Wow! What ignorance! Hyperactivity is not the primary symptom---I think she is thinking of ADHD there (not the lunacy part! I don't know what she is going on about there. Or he.) Completely unscientific and biased definition.

I don't see anything to shocking in the other definitions. The wording could probably be a bit better for some, but other than that, the explanations seem to be fairly usual.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2011, 11:33 am

some of these are facepalm stupid.